Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
The #3 and #4 cars blowing away the new infamous Ford GT . . .
You know IMSA is just itching to make Ford the series champ this year as a "thank-you" for fielding cars.

IMSA: Yeah, um we need to speak with Doug Fehan.
Doug: How can I help you?
IMSA: Well we noticed that the Corvettes spent an awful long time on the track during the Rolex 24 Hrs compared to the other teams.
Doug: Isn't that the point of racing?
IMSA: Well, that just really isn't fair to the other competitors who break down and have to make repairs.
Doug: Maybe they should work on their reliability before they try to go endurance racing?
IMSA: Well that's true Doug, but here at IMSA we want to make the racing "fair" for everyone with our special BoP adjustments and frankly it isn't fair to the other competitors that the C7.R is so much more reliable.
Doug: And...?
IMSA: So going forward we're going to mandate that Corvette Racing spend a minimum of five minutes per hour in the pits.
Doug: Doing what?
IMSA: Well you don't have to do anything. It just gives the other teams a chance to catch up and, well you know, make the race "fair"...

And if you follow this series at all, you know that's not far from the truth. Every year Corvette runs well for the first couple races racking up wins. Then the IMSA BoP Police start tinkering with the rules and suddenly the C7.R can barely keep up with anyone in their class by the end of the season. Two years ago it was Viper, last year it was Porsche, and I won't be at all surprised if they hand it to Ford this year some how, some way.
Ryan J

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great conversation RJ, and a perfect example of how a liberal mind works. Equalization when things don't seem fair, which is why weight and air restrictors are added and taken away.

I can't find the specific article I read, but concerning engine sizes non-aspirated can be 5.5 liters, aspirated (turbos) are somewhere around 4.5. Of course, liberalism came into play for the Dodge Viper with a special exemption for it's 8.8 liter engine.

It seems the play is toward fans who know little about the specifics and just want to see their favorite cars do well. Got to keep them happy. Unfortunately, sports car racing has low fan attendance compared to other types.

In really, the "play" is to the manufacturers who will pay big money for success on the track, in order to sell more cars.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In really, the "play" is to the manufacturers who will pay big money for success on the track, in order to sell more cars.
Absolutely and that is why the Viper championship two years ago was such a joke. I'm sure IMSA was trying to keep them in the game and hoping they would stick around. Viper takes the championship and then immediately folds the team.

As much as I would love to see the GTLM team win another championship, I often wonder if the GTLM team gets the shaft because of the success that Corvette prototype teams have enjoyed? Along the lines of "Hey Chevy, you get your wins in Prototype, we're not going to have you winning another class as well..."

I'm more of a fan of set the rules and then "run what you brung..." If we lose a fair fight, I guess I can deal with that. But when the rules change every couple weeks, you can't help but smell a rat. Last season IMSA exhausted their allocation of allowed BoP changes. But they still were not happy so they just changed the rules so they could make more BoP changes.
:WTF:

And they have to tinker with everything... air intake, boost, downforce, heights, lengths, weight, even fuel filling. For crying out loud, what is the value of a more fuel efficient car when the "benefit" IMSA hands out is a restrictor in your fuel filler so it takes you just as long as the gas guzzlers to make a pit stop? I don't expect the same car to dominate every race. Some cars would be better on high speed tracks, some would be better on tight road course, some would be better on long runs, some would be better on sprint races. The whole point to me of winning a championship is getting a car and team that will be the best overall at the end of the season. You maximize what you do well and minimize what hurts you. Best average takes the trophy. Well at least in theory that's how it should work.

Ryan J

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, it's all pretty ridiculous. In the good old days, before most were born, it was a fight between factory teams. The winners alternated between Ferrari, Porsche and for a bit Ford. It seemed everyone operated under the same rules, more or less, and the best rose to the top.

Today, regardless of manufacturer brand, the playing field is leveled. It's why I no longer watch Nascar. All the cars are really are the same, regardless of engine, so the competition is between teams and drivers, not cars. Boooring, especially on oval tracks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too am tired of BOP determining the outcome of races and championships. However, "run what ya brung" is a sure fire way to see the end of GTLM participation. The richest test will develop the very best car and will run the table. Other teams will pull out because they can't win. Remember year ago when corvette was running against only Austin Martin and then only against themselves? Not good.

IMSA finally seems to see the error of their BOP ways from last year and appear to taking a more technical and mathematical approach to changes. Let's see. I'm concerned that the convincing win at the 24 is going to draw a lot of attention to Corvette......

·
Registered
213 Posts
The richest test will develop the very best car and will run the table. Other teams will pull out because they can't win.
I don't really agree with that because I just can't see one platform being the best at EVERYTHING. IMSA does have a diverse mix of track types and race lengths. If it were true that performance would be constant regardless of venue, then IMSA wouldn't need to keep tinkering mid-season. They would balance once or twice and then be done.

I just don't believe the same car platform that dominates the high banks of Daytona could also be the class leader on the tight turns of Long Beach with a fixed rule package for the entire season.

I do agree that team with the biggest test budget or engineering staff would win the championship, but I don't think they would dominate every race. They would just figure out a way to tune their car that gave them the best overall performance for the entire season.

Although the C7.R team cars finished 1-2, Corvette, Porsche, BMW and Ferrari all had at least one car on the lead lap after 24 hours, maybe Ford too if they could have kept their cars running. Porsche / BMW were technically scored 1 lap down at the end but that was only because of where the overall leaders was in the pack at the checkered flag. The top three finishers in GTLM being ahead of the overall leader on the track just got one lap back to close out the race.

EVERY car in GTLM has their best race lap time in the 1:44 range. The #3 Corvette with a staggering 1:44.012 (more than a half second quicker than the best lap the #4 could put together) with the #62 Ford GT posting the slowest, best lap in GTLM at 1:44.979.

Ryan J

21 - 28 of 28 Posts