Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Thanks for posting, very interesting. Sorry you had to get rid of the car, thats a nice ride, I assume you went to an economy car.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting, very interesting. Sorry you had to get rid of the car, thats a nice ride, I assume you went to an economy car.
Thanks - I really did like that car. Haven't replaced it yet - spending most of my free time and money on the house. At this point I'm commuting in my wife's SUV (Chevy Trailblazer) and she's driving my GMC 3500 HD tow vehicle. I am looking at a car more suited for commuting. Money no object (which clearly it is), I think my top choice right now would be an Audi A3 TDI at about 42 mpg. Looking hard for an American alternative, but haven't found anything with that level of comfort, performance and mpg in one package.
:cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I must agree that a turbo diesel is a great choice for that kind of commute. Keep us posted on your next vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Thanks - I really did like that car. Haven't replaced it yet - spending most of my free time and money on the house. At this point I'm commuting in my wife's SUV (Chevy Trailblazer) and she's driving my GMC 3500 HD tow vehicle. I am looking at a car more suited for commuting. Money no object (which clearly it is), I think my top choice right now would be an Audi A3 TDI at about 42 mpg. Looking hard for an American alternative, but haven't found anything with that level of comfort, performance and mpg in one package.
:cheers:
The Audi is a nice ride but overpriced. I just bought my wife her second VW TDI. It's the 2010 sportwagon model and I absolutly love this car. We average 40 mpg w/ only 4000 mls on it so far. Interior is new an improved and I love it. It's fast as hell too. This car is a no brainer and there isn't one American car that can touch it. It's in the mid twenties FYI. Don't get the panoramic roof. Alot of complaints, leaks and too much heat. Good luck. I drive trucks, and sports cars and my DD is a 750 BMW and I love taking my wifes car! Bluetooth, steering controls, heated seats, great radio all standard. Give a look much better way to go than the Audi and it's the same car.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info on the VW TDI. That car is also on my list for many of the reasons you listed. Which tranny do you have? I'm leaning towards the DSG, but want the paddle shifters and I don't think that's an option on the VW's.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Thanks for the info on the VW TDI. That car is also on my list for many of the reasons you listed. Which tranny do you have? I'm leaning towards the DSG, but want the paddle shifters and I don't think that's an option on the VW's.
Yes, it has that new auto tranny. No paddle shifters but has the shifter that flips over for manual up and down at a flip of the lever. Also has sport mode shifting. Really shifts nice and is an improvement over the old tiptronic which we had in the 06 TDI. The paddle shifters aren't an option on the TDI but is on other models. I don't find it to be an issue for me because when I am doing spirited driving I have the manual shifter which bangs in nice and fast like a PDK. But once you can acheive 40 mpg and have the economy meter in front of you, you won't be using paddle shifters to acheive that!!! LOL I stare at that meter!!!!!:yeadog:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. When you are in manual mode, will it hold the gear until you shift up/down? I think that is one of the most bothersome things about automatics - the auto downshift as you accelerate out of a corner upsetting the carefully balanced exit I had crafted. I really should go test drive a TDI with the DSG. No, I really shouldn't and should wait until I get all my wife's Christmas debts paid off. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Yep, it stays in that gear till you flip up or down. It starts over at 1st only if you stop. The display on the dash also shows what gear your in 1-6. To try and explain, you push the shifter to the right like the old Hurst shifter in the Cutlass 442, and you go right into manual mode no matter what speed your going , it just stays in that gear till you flip up or down. As a car guy, I couldn't imagine you not liking it. You have auto, sport mode, and then manual. Pay off the debt first, I test drove it and was possessed and bought it!!! LOL Merry Christmas! Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts