Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really new to the C5, as I just purchased it last Friday. And I'm not much of a gear head yet, but I don't mind asking doofus questions. So, does my 99 FRC need a CAGS disabler?

Thanks,

·
Registered
134 Posts
If your car doesn't already have the CAGS defeat you should get it. It's not a necessity. It's there to override the standard CAGS function of shifting from 1st gear to 4th gear when at less than 2k rpm.

I am glad I have mine.

BTW, this is my first post here. I'm looking forward to more Corvette related discussions.

Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Or, you could do like I do...never shift below 3500 rpms. :D I don't need a cags defeat.

BTW, WELCOME TO THE FORUM GUYS!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Welcome guys.
I normally shift pretty high and didn't normally need the CAGs defeat, but it bit me a few times in parking lots, so I bought the defeat kit from Ecklers for about $20. Installation is a piece of cake. Takes about 20 minutes.
Good luck.
Ffen

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I bought my disabler from Eckler's. 5 minute install, design makes sure dirt stays out. the 1-4 shift really irritated me in slow bumper-to-bumper type traffic.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcomes from everyone. Sounds like I ought to get a CAGS eliminator. Funny, until I did a bit of reading on it, I didn't know the Vette was set up that way. I put it off to not knowing how to efficiently go from first to second!:roll:

Finally, last night, I saw the 1st to 4th light on the dash! Man I'm relieved and the "eliminator" goes to the top of the list of "Mods".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts