Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the CAGS Eliminator sold on the Corvette Store, www.c5store.com , void the factory warranty in any way? The reason I ask is because I have heard that you should not let the CAGS engage duing the break-in period. If not then couldn't you install the eliminator at the dealer to ensure the CAGS would not engage? Other wise you could install it once you got out of site obvioulsy. Thanks guys for your responses. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
CAGS got me several times during break in, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you get stuck by it, just be very gentle with the throttle when you get to 4th. You can always drop back to third if you feel you must. Just don't mash the loud pedal in 4th at low rpm. It still gets me now and then, but it's not really too hard to avoid. If you're driving gently (in traffic, etc) you can shift into 2nd early and still have plenty of torque if you need it. Under more spirited conditions, you'll be giving it more than 21% throttle and CAGS won't kick in.

At this point I doubt if I'll install the CAGS defeat. I hate CAGS, but it's easy enough to avoid.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Cags

EH,

Thats a good ?? for C4C5, hope he hits this post if not pm him. I installed my cags at the dealer on there lift no mention of warrenty whatsoever ???????

:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As always, you guys come through very quickly. I thought about giving C4C5 a PM, but I thought it might be benificial to others if he posted the answer here. If he doen't I'll PM him. Thanks again guys. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I discussed a number of proposed mods and their effect on my warranty with my ordering dealership before ordrering the car. My dealership said no prob with cold air intake, cags, headers - in fact they would install these things for me if I wanted!

Just depends on the dealership interpretation of the warranty IMHO...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
CAGS is Easy to Avoid

After driving my Z for 500 miles, it was obvious to me that the CAGS only operates in a very narrow range -- like only between 2000 and 2500 RPMs in 1st gear, and ONLY if you start from 1st gear from a completely dead stop.

Just shift before 2000 or after 2500 RPMs, very easy to do. Also, if you happen to get caught by the CAGS, instead of forcing it into 4th gear, just let the shifter pop back to neutral and the 1-->4 light will go off, and the CAGS will be disabled again.

IMO, I see no reason to install a CAGS by-pass, at least for my driving style :D.

·
Registered
523 Posts
cags is annoying.....but

I went thru the 500 mile break-in period and could'nt wait to get a cags defeat,however,after taking an extended motor trip(which included Bowling Green),I find that there are too many ways around cags,mostly just being aware of when it engages and what you can do ,if and when it does engage,that I am sending back the cags disabler Monday and leaving the car stock.

Pete F. J-ville Fl

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
CAGS only exists to improve mileage for EPA purposes. Anything you do that would damage your car could void the warranty, but I can't imagine what you could do to damage your car. All the CAGS eliminator does is send a false signal to your CAGS relay.
:eek:

·
Registered
695 Posts
It would be stupid for a dealer to make a warrenty issue of the CAGS unit. You can shift at under 2k or over 2.5k rpm and avoid this nuisance. Hence, if you run your car to 5k or even red line EVERY time you go 1-2 shift, you never have to worry about the skip shift. Should you install the CAGS unit, to a normal person it would mean you often shift between 2k-2.5k rpm and installing the CAGS eliminator merely indicates what a PITA the skip shift is. I would perceive you as a very conservative drive by wanting the eliminator. If one drives the hell out of a Z, he logically could care less about the skip shift....never uses it. Nuff said!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts