Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little clarification regarding the lockout shift to third (CAGS). I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I buy a '02 ZO6 in the spring. So bear with me. Do the '01 and '02 ZO6's have the lockout or is it only the LS-1, not the LS-6? And, what exactly do the letters CAGS stand for? Thanks...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes they all have it on manual transmissions. CAGS = Computer aided gear shifting.

They do this to get the mileage higher and to meet Federal Low Emissions Vechicle Standards.

The fix is to install the bypass kit which is a resistor installed in a connector. You pull the connector out of the transmission and insert the new connector into the wiring end. (This makes the computer think that it sees the solinoid coil in the transmission) Then put the dust cover connector in the transmission side.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Skip said:
I need a little clarification regarding the lockout shift to third (CAGS). I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I buy a '02 ZO6 in the spring. So bear with me. Do the '01 and '02 ZO6's have the lockout or is it only the LS-1, not the LS-6? And, what exactly do the letters CAGS stand for? Thanks...
Also it is 1st to 4th, not 3rd.
In the FAQ here there is a do it yourself guide to removing... or (IMO) a better way is the adaptor that can be bought from many of the vendors here (I chose breathless).

ps. this is not specifically Corvette thing... I think it is on all late model manual trans... I read about the same complaints on the Camero /TransAm boards.

It is annoying when you hit it... but I've learned to just live with it so far (CAGS disabler sitting on shelf). Just wait later in 1st and it will unlock. Not really sure how this helped fuel consumption (considering that it just taught me to rev harder in normal driving conditions), but at least they made it easy to disable.

·
Registered
214 Posts
FWIW, I bought a !CAGS from SLP for my Firehawk. Burnt it out in the 1st few miles. Unknown if it was defective or I was, but I decided not to use the one they replaced (for free btw) and gave it to a bud. Since then I just ensure my revs are up when moving out of 1st. Haven't even thought about it with the new Z. I wouldn't worry about it a bit....g

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I test drove an '01 (torch Red/black) ZO6 this summer and quite frankly never new it had the cags until I read about it here on the forum. I must have revved it high enough to unlock. The salesman said nothing about it. So, I'll take your advice.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My CAGS elimator was installed during my museum pickup, so I have never driven the car without it. But, after watch that light come on - I agress with the others -- you can easily avoid it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Do the '01 and '02 ZO6's have the lockout or is it only the LS-1, not the LS-6?

All manual 6 speed vettes, since the 6 speed was introduced on these cars.

I don't know about F-cars?:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
the CAGS disabler is really easy to install, just make sure you get the right one.

I don't know how to add a link to the thread but it was titled "Beware of CAGS for recently built cars". Check it out.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I hated when it activated and I was forced to unnaturally shift into 4th. It usually would activate when I would be making a left hand turn across a large intersection while in a line of cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts