Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so last weekend I went nuts, and dropped 1/2 tank of 76 100 octane unleaded race gas in my car. The difference was noticable immediately. More power? Couldn't really tell, but all the nasty pinging went away and the whole car just felt smoother.

The next day, I reset the computer to clear the long term fuel trims, and what not. NOW it picked up power. It feels so much snappier now.

I hate california.

Next I'm going to experiment with less and less race fuel, and see where the cut off is when I start to ping again. Hopefully it won't bee too much, I hate the idea of droping in 9 gallons of race gas at $4/gal.

I hate to say it, but that MTBE shit they were giving us ran better than this crap with tons of alcohol dumped in.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know MTBE is going to be phased out by the end of 2002 and I thought all or at least most gas stations in CA still use MTBE. Here in Nevada they use ethanol instead of MTBE and the octane of premium gas is still 92, so I think the decrease to 91 in California is some lame excuse. By the way, are you saying you got pinging from 91 octane gas? Isn't that all that the Z06 requires?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I ping BADLY from 91. See other threads, GM actually says you need 93, and 94 works better. The cars will run on down to 89, but not happily.

That pinging wasn't even while driving hard, that was just (forexample) nudging the throttle in 6th at 60mph to accelerate a bit.

I haven't actually seen a gas station in awhile that has the MTBE warning on the pump. All I've been seeing is "warning - may contain ethanol".

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
This sucks. I wonder if mixing 94 would be cheaper than adding race gas.....Maybe 1/2 and 1/2 of the 91 and 94 from Sunoco?

Either way, :bs:

JC

·
Registered
362 Posts
iF YOU LIVE NEAR A AIRPORT-CHECK WITH THE "FBO"(fixed base operations) and see if they handle 100 low lead-must airports do. You cannot drive the car to the pump,but you can walk over to it and fill cans-need about a 40% load in the tank for 96 octane. cost about [email protected] a gallon,not much for a car but when you fill up a C-46 with 1800 gal is get pricey.I quit using race gas on the street long ago-now use it only on the track for my muscle cars.i tell the operator i am practicing STOL from my backyard--he just grins

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mine runs very well with 3 gals. Trick 101 to 15 Chevron Supreme 91.

2k :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'll see if this way shows the chart without you having to click on the link... Here goes #2...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ok, lets try this again... #3 :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAH Victory!!! I did it on my own!!! I am about as computer illiterate as they come and I figured it out!!! HOOORAY FOR ME!!! :)

Ok, I'll calm down now.

I hope you fellow Cali folks find this usefull?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Mike, sounds like us Californians are getting ripped off, but then again, what's new. Higher prices, bad gas. Not good for the home front. I'll check out that 76 station in S.J. pumping 100 octane unleaded. Sounds like a partial work around if I can afford it at $4 per gal. Hopefully in the Fall and Winter months the cooler weather will somewhat mitigate the problem.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
This may not be a problem for the 2002. I believe the press release for the 2002 says that the car can be run on regular grade gasoline in a pinch and that the on board computers will automatically reset engine parameters.

With regard to additives in northern California gasoline, I believe Union 76 and gas refined at the Tosco refinery are adding ethanol, while Chevron and others still use MTBE.

jerboa :(

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jerboa: it is, and it isn't a problem. You bought the Z06 to have a really fast car right? You're going to lose a ton of horsepower when the computer pulls timing out of it to keep it from pinging.

On the regular shitty gas around here, my car will no longer spin the tires on the 3->4 shift. On a 50:50 mix of shit gas to race gas, I'm spinning the tires at the 3->4 shift again. (Also on a downshift to 2nd yesterday - I didn't expect that at all).

So yes, the cars will run on the shitgas, but not run well. Didn't we drop 50k on our corvettes to have them run well?

Dsinned: I think it'll only take 2-3 gallons per tank. If thats the case, it makes sense to feed her the good stuff.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What does the owner's manual say about octane requirement? I have a hard time believing that only racing fuel meets GM specifications.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It says it'll run on down to 89. Remember, I'm not running straight 100 octane, I was mixing it with shitty gas.

Also, I don't really give a damn if GM says it'll run down to 89, if it pings I'm going to do something about it. If that means race fuel mixed in now and then, well, then thats what I'm gonna do.

·
Registered
266 Posts
beggar,

What the manual says and reality are two different things. Most performance people agree that between 92 and 93 is required..

How is the gas in Reno?? Was thinking of filling two 55 Gal. drums and trucking down the hill to Sacto.. :)

2k :guiness:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
T though MTBE has now been banned in CA as of August 1st, so all brands are probably based on either ehanol or methanol just like we had before the MTBE came along. Chevron Supreme, usually my favorite brand, as of that date dropped in octane to "91". With the MTBE it use to be "92".

With a 10.5:1 C/R I have also seen numerous references to "93" octane recommended for the Z06.

This situation (here in CA, at sea level) is not good. :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts