Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon to move back home to Oceanside, CA and want to do a header and exhaust swap. Is'nt there a law stating you can't modify your intake/exhaust? If so, how do you pass the California Visual Inspection? :cheers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
smog inspection

Yes, there are California emissions laws stating that certain aftermarket parts must carry an E.O. (Exempt Order) number issued by the California Air Resource Board (CARB.) It is the responsibility of the product manufacturer to submit their part to CARB for an EO number. This normally involves some fairly expensive testing and certification by an independent lab. That's why so few aftermarket engine parts are "California legal."

Regarding your intake, it's easier just to throw your stock airbox on the car when it comes time to smog test the car. Regarding your exhaust, cat-back systems do not require an E.O. number. However, headers technically do. The reality is that most smog check operators won't blink an eye if you tell them the Vette came stock with tubular headers. As long as the tailpipe readings are clean and your car doesn't have a ton of "bling" (aka - supercharger, nitrous, etc) perched on top of the motor, you can probably get a smog certificate and register your car.

Good luck!

-Greg W

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
No extreme cams in CA. :(

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:mug: Anyone else care to share their experience with CA inspections and tips om way's to pass with LT headers. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
SGT. PYLE,
I think you will pass the CA sniffer with long tubes if you have the high flow cat's the problem will be the visual inspection.

:cheers:
Mike

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
:mug: Anyone else care to share their experience with CA inspections and tips om way's to pass with LT headers. :cheers:
Contact Andy at A&A:thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Get my motor. Built and tuned to run on 91 octane and pass any smog check, for when I move back to Cali myself.

·
Registered
971 Posts
SGT. Pyle,

Synergy Motorsports has a number of ways to do this.

A set of B&B headers and Borla XR Racing Exhaust will make 31hp and 30 torque across the board. This is CARB legal.

We have other ways too. PM me if you are interested.

My 427 makes big numbers and comes in at an 1/8-1/10th of what stock 346 will do smog wise. Quality of the build from Synergy and myself.

PM me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
come down to san diego and visit the corvette shop. the guys next door run a smog shop and dont care about visual as long as it passes the sniffer.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alabama said:
Easy.

Got straight to your nearest Air Force recruiter, sign up, register you car out of state and viola no inspection needed!
Plus everyone knows that out of state plates add 5hp...RWHP!!
Already did that (Marine Corps) and registered it in WV @ my Dads house. Thing is I own a house in California and have a CA drivers lisence. I have an expired WV lisence but am not sure how long I can play the "out of state military guy" thing. I may go to the corvette shop and see about a hook up.:sneaky: Thanks guys!:cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Joking aside, if you are in the Marines (1st of all good on ya) you can still get WV plates and avoid CA fees and inspections. Its really up to the other state you trying to register it. I use New Hampshire due to the tax break and ease of re-registering. First thing I would do is check with the DMV in WV. Although your WV Driver's Lic is expired, with your history of having one, having WV plates and a address to give as residence (your dad's) you might be ok.

I know NH has pretty strick inspections and so does California, but having a NH registered car in California = no inspections for me.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
dolf said:
come down to san diego and visit the corvette shop. the guys next door run a smog shop and dont care about visual as long as it passes the sniffer.
I wouldnt be bragging about this particular place doing that as now I am sure some snoop on here will give the information to a local epa official and they will be monitoring this place (and someone actually got my license plate id off another site once on my car and I got a letter from the state to take my car in and be checked).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
dolf said:
wow!!! i didnt know some people were that shady. dang tree huggers.. ill keep it to pm's, thanks.
Probably no harm done with the post, but ive had buddies get nailed and thrown in jail for hooking up one car and monitoring another and such. Luckily there are still places that you can get by with just a visual, but remember there are still many zip codes in california that DO NOT require smog inspections at all no matter what the year vehicle. DMV has a map of those affected areas and zip codes you can register your car in and skip any inspections unless the car is bought or sold.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Briann, I tried the ol' zip code routine by renting a PO Box in the high desert and going down to my local DMV for a change of address. They said they don't accept PO Boxes, that it has to be a physical address.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A work around for the PO Box problem may be shopping around for a mailbox store/annex that lists the boxes as unit or sweet numbers, if such a place is in business in those zip codes. For example I have a friend who is an attorney. The CA state bar requires an address listed for everyone who practices. His address is something like 555 Elm street # 4578. If you were to go there you would find a Mailboxes Etc type place with mailbox 4578 present, not an actual office as the address would lead you to believe.
As an aside.....if the emissions are clean they (government) should not have the right to look under the hood Period!! The legislature in this state is out of control and the CARB EO program is just another way for them to scam more money. Everyone who has any interest in performance, domestic, import, whatever, should get unified before we loose all ability to mod our cars and we have a red light/speed cameras on every corner. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ROBO1219 said:
As an aside.....if the emissions are clean they (government) should not have the right to look under the hood Period!! The legislature in this state is out of control and the CARB EO program is just another way for them to scam more money. Everyone who has any interest in performance, domestic, import, whatever, should get unified before we loose all ability to mod our cars and we have a red light/speed cameras on every corner. Sorry for the rant.
I AGREE!! If I can meet the minimum SMOG requirements with any and every modification the DMV has no right to fail me on a "Visal Inspection".:crazy: :screwy:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Just find a fellow Vette owner in one of the non inspection zip codes and use his house address.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts