Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone, or know of anyone, that has bought the new Callaway air intake system? It was written up in one of the Corvette magazines as adding something like 15 hp at the rear wheels. They added the Callaway "DD" exhaust and that added something like 10 to 15 more hp (and also tuned the computer). The intake is priced at around $500 and comes with a lifetime air filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Callaway Honker

I went back and found the article, it was in Vette Magazine. I reread it and found that I was wrong about the numbers. The ZO6 they tested it on had another aftermarket air filter (they did not say which one). It did 408hp at the rear wheels with the hood open and 400hp with the hood closed. The first run with the Honker (hood closed), it had 419 hp and 402 lb-ft, or a gain from the other air filter (hood closed) of 19 hp and 15 lb-ft. They did not add the exhaust, but instead the second step was tuning the computer which produced 432hp and 412 ft-lb at the rear wheels. One of the points was that the honker works the same with the hood open or closed because it gets its air from outside. You have to cut a hole in the radiator shroud. Anyway, I thought I should put the correct figures from the article.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
DakotaVette said:
Has anyone, or know of anyone, that has bought the new Callaway air intake system? It was written up in one of the Corvette magazines as adding something like 15 hp at the rear wheels. They added the Callaway "DD" exhaust and that added something like 10 to 15 more hp (and also tuned the computer). The intake is priced at around $500 and comes with a lifetime air filter.
I have the new Callaway Honker on my 427 C5R. I love it. I spoke to Reeves and looked at their comparison numbers before buying it (xxeditxx at Corvettes of Houston). It flows more air than the VaraRam VR1B, the BlackWing, the FIPK, and the stock unit. The filter is also far superior in quality and ease of cleaning than the K&N FIPK and the VR1B. The surface area of the filter is much larger than the VR1B - you will need to cut a large hole in the radiator cover at the front of the car. I highly recommend it...

Best Wishes...

It flows more air and required my LS1 programming to be retuned. I will let you know the dyno numbers as soon as its retunedto accomodate the Callaway Honker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
DakotaVette said:
I went back and found the article, it was in Vette Magazine. I reread it and found that I was wrong about the numbers. The ZO6 they tested it on had another aftermarket air filter (they did not say which one).
FYI - It was the Blackwing...POS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Callaway Honker

It is great to hear from someone that has purchased one of these. I had a Blackwing on my '02 coupe and it ran well with it, but when I got my '04 ZO6, I transferred it over to that car. It wasn't long before it started setting codes. I decided it was not worth it and took it off and sold it. I cleared the codes and have not had any since. Of course, now I an getting the itch to do some mods and after I read the article, I thought that this unit may be a good one. I would like to hear from some other people that have put one on to see if it has set any codes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
You can't go wrong with it. It's very similar to the vortex. I already have a vortex, so I'm not about to drop 475 for little if any gain. But since you don't already have a vararam or vortex, I say go for it. The only problem I have is the accordian coupler it comes with (or is it the stock one re-used?) I'd pay $30 for a smoothed out coupler to the throttle body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Callaway Honker Air Induction

Since this is going to flow more air, would the computer on the ZO6 be able to adjust for it or would I have to get someone to reprogram it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
I have the new Callaway Honker on my 427 C5R. I love it. I spoke to Reeves and looked at their comparison numbers before buying it (xxeditxx at Corvettes of Houston). It flows more air than the VaraRam VR1B, the BlackWing, the FIPK, and the stock unit. The filter is also far superior in quality and ease of cleaning than the K&N FIPK and the VR1B. The surface area of the filter is much larger than the VR1B - you will need to cut a large hole in the radiator cover at the front of the car. I highly recommend it...

Best Wishes...

It flows more air and required my LS1 programming to be retuned. I will let you know the dyno numbers as soon as its retunedto accomodate the Callaway Honker.
ScDFACHE,

Is there a screen that prevents leaves and other debris from getting to the filter? Should I be concerned or not??? What about the potential for water getting to the filter and into the engine? I really like the looks of this intake!

thanks,
Kirk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Elite engineering makes a really nice screen for the bottom shroud area to stop debris. You can take in water with any of these aftermarket type filters if you get deep enough in standing water. I just received my Honker in the mail and have not installed it yet, but the build quality of the unit and packaging are very impressive. If it performs like it looks, its a winner in my book. I will install this weekend. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I installed mine almost 2 weeks ago. It installed so well it made me want to cry (last filter I had was VR2b).

it literally looks better than the factory part- better fit, better finish, better filter access. Brilliant- well worth the money!

-Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I just went from the Vararam 2b to the Honker as well, I am happy with the results and my idle surge from the cam is gone. I think this may be due to the MAF relocation with the Callaway to just in front of the throttle body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Installed one May this year. Looks great no problems. Car was tuned while in the shop for some other upgrades. No codes, idle problems at all.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top