Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a new Callaway Honker for the C5 as a replacement for my VaraRam VR-1B intake system on my 427 C5R Vette. Anyone have any numbers that indicate the Honker is better than the VR-1B? The filter in the Callaway product is a K&N filter so I know that will work well. Callaway advertizes 25% increase in airflow over stock but I'd like to know how it compares to the VR-1B with a street filter. The engine will always benefit from increased airflow...

Thanks everyone.

Viper Eater

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually, the filter in the Honker is a Green Filter, not a K&N. To me that is a plus as the Green Filters are of a much higher quality. I too would like to see results from a compairson. :drunken:

·
Registered
971 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
I am considering a new Callaway Honker for the C5 as a replacement for my VaraRam VR-1B intake system on my 427 C5R Vette. Anyone have any numbers that indicate the Honker is better than the VR-1B? The filter in the Callaway product is a K&N filter so I know that will work well. Callaway advertizes 25% increase in airflow over stock but I'd like to know how it compares to the VR-1B with a street filter. The engine will always benefit from increased airflow...

Thanks everyone.

Viper Eater
I think the Vararam and Haltech setups are the best out there. I prefer the Haltech, because it does close up the vents, which are extremely important for proper engine and manifold cooling.

Pictures.
http://imageevent.com/crazyducati916/blackzo6

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grim Reaper said:
I think the Vararam and Haltech setups are the best out there. I prefer the Haltech, because it does close up the vents, which are extremely important for proper engine and manifold cooling.

Pictures.
http://imageevent.com/crazyducati916/blackzo6
I got some numbers from Reeves Callaway:

The Callaway Honker flows 980 cfm, the Blackwing flows 870 cfm and the VaraRam VR1B flows 800. Assuming Callaway's math is correct, I'm getting my 427 C5R honked next weekend. The seat of the pants and the dyno will tell the true picture.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gorillavet said:
Actually, the filter in the Honker is a Green Filter, not a K&N. To me that is a plus as the Green Filters are of a much higher quality. I too would like to see results from a compairson. :drunken:
Thanks - That helped me to make a decision on this...

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
fwiw..as great as callaway products are..

I'd probably just suggest swapping in a k & N filter rather than changing out the entire Vararam..

JMO

·
Registered
33 Posts
2002Z06Yellow said:
Keep us posted as far as dyno numbers!

Very interested in dyno numbers and seat of the pants feel! :thumb:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time. I bet you will lose power with the Callaway. I don't see there being any better induction system than something like a Halltech or Vararam where it takes air directly from the nose of the vehicle and has large channels and free-flowing filters.

Taking flow #'s from the manufacturer is a joke as well. Flow #'s aren't even the whole equation anyway.

I'd find something else to spend my money on.

If you do it anyway, get back to back track #'s for us, I'd be interested to see.

Dope

·
Registered
42 Posts
Callaway Honker

Just got my Honker last week and finished installing it today. Really nice quality part (should be for the price!). If you didn't know better, you would think it was OEM. Will be getting a dyno tune along with LTs in mid June so we'll see what kind of numbers we get. Pics in My Garage.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks, Brad. Can you tell any difference driving around like quicker throttle response or revs quicker? I really think this is the one I want to get. I could not find your pics. Could you post a couple for me?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The Honker, like most Callaway products, look good, are way overpriced and seldom produce the the advertised results. :cen:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Anyone else want to pipe up since you all have first hand experience with Callaway products? Just because you wouldn't buy it doesn't mean you have to stomp on those that might. This seems to happen with any product that someone buys and tells the rest about. I have never done that and wouldn't. Brad, I hope you post some results since no one has ever seen any for this product. Hell, I plan to get it just to have something different then everyone else. I quarantee it will perform at least as well as all the others and I could care less if costs $100 more. Thats nothing. People on here spend $100 on stickers just to stand apart.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Honker Results Pending

Sorry Electron Blue, still trying to get pics posted. There are a couple of shots of the Honker install in My Garage. Have only driven about 20 miles since I installed it but my initial reaction is that there is a definate difference in performance and sound. Seems much more responsive and sounds great.

The factory airbox seems to have been designed to minimize intake noise rather that maximize performance. That thing has a such a tiny opening to draw air from. It's a wonder that they could get that kind of power with that thing. My 00 Mustang GT had a larger opening than that.

Looking forward to getting my headers and highflows installed and a tune done. We'll see what kind of performance we get.

I really didn't like any of the open element type filters like the Blackwing and the Haltech. The Honker is a very nicely designed and built piece and comes with great hardware and instructions for the install. (rivet gun necessary)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Well I have a Callaway and a Z06 and I would run either a a halltech or varaRam on the Z06, not a Callaway Honker.

Note that the CFM given for the VaraRam is a flowbench number at rest and does not account for the Ram or Cold Air effect at speed, which is significant.

Note that Pratt & Miller designed their latest intake for the C5R and C6R from the VaraRam design.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts