Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
What do you guys think of the Callaway powergroups for the Z06?

The have packages that includes Callaway exhaust, headers, honker, and other parts. Are they worth the money? Would I really get the power they claim? Any reliability issue?

this site has good description of them:
xxxxeditedxxx

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
IMO, the power gains claimed in groups 1 and 2 are overated, and group 3 the gains should be actually higher for a heads/cam pkg. Callaway stuff is very overpriced it seems to me, at least in these configurations.

Check out some of our vendors to the left of your screen. Any number of them could beat those pkgs.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I completely agree with exSSer. I'd talk to cartek or east coast supercharging long before thinking about callaway, first off they're closer to you (always a better feeling having your tuner less distance away if you ever want more work or need something sorted out) and honestly they have a much better track record (which numerous members here could back up with dyno graphs or time slips) than callaway on our Z06's

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Callaway products always look great and are will packaged. They are always overpriced and rarely produce the advertised gain. I'd look elsewhere. Someone once told me " You are paying for the name" My response to that was "Someone who has more money than brains":cheers:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I know of a Callaway C12 that went to 21st CMC to get a LPE N/A 427 to make it more powerful....

Chris

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Chris310P said:
I know of a Callaway C12 that went to 21st CMC to get a LPE N/A 427 to make it more powerful....

Chris
Even the World Fastest Vette, the Callaway Twin Tubro that went 253.??? MPH and was driven by John Lingenfelter had a LPE engine in it. :rofl:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's some good info guys. I'm glad I didnt get sucked into the callaway thing. You can tell I'm new at this.

I'm looking to add moderate mods to my Z. Nothing too heavy like a supercharger or nitrous but rather something that can be done easily like headers and exhaust that can give me 20 to 40 more horsepower without sacrificing engine life. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Sounds like all you need is a set of headers and a new exhaust. You may also want to put in VaraRam or something similar. If you're asking for opinions I went with a Corsa Pace Car Exhaust and LG headers with the Vararam. Installed by ECS. There are vendors on the left that can help you out. Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Hitman1 said:
That's some good info guys. I'm glad I didnt get sucked into the callaway thing. You can tell I'm new at this.

I'm looking to add moderate mods to my Z. Nothing too heavy like a supercharger or nitrous but rather something that can be done easily like headers and exhaust that can give me 20 to 40 more horsepower without sacrificing engine life. What do you guys recommend?

Sure, you say that now. :rofl: Once you start down that slippery slope of modding, you'll be infected like the rest of us. :screwy:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Hitman1 said:

LGM longtube, Kooks, or Supernaxx Headers (1 3/4") in that order of preference.
VaraRam air intake. :z:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
exSSer said:
Sure, you say that now. :rofl: Once you start down that slippery slope of modding, you'll be infected like the rest of us. :screwy:
must.....stop......modding.... :bang:

IT L GO said:
LGM longtube, Kooks, or Supernaxx Headers (1 3/4") in that order of preference.
VaraRam air intake. :z:
This is good learning for me. Alot of you guys recommended the long tube headers and that's where I'm heading. Now would adding an exhaust like the corsa in addition to the long tube header gives more power? better sound? both? or is adding the long tube header makes adding the exhaust useless?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Rule of thumb. Headers for power gains, catback for sound gains. Do both, and it will get loud. But it's a good sound. I have the LGs, no cats and Borla Stingers. At any level of acceleration, it's freakin' loud. At steady cruise, very mellow, but noticeable. WOT...what's that you said??? I happen to like it that way, and it really turns heads, which is also fun. I don't think there's too much difference, power gain-wise between header systems, but the LGs are first class quality, and their design supposedly gives a fatter torque curve. I'm a cheap bastard, but sprung for them, with no regrets. Do the headers before the catback. It may be you'll like the sound improvement, and you won't be leaving much HP behind with the stock Ti catback. Good luck, and have fun. :drunken:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am not a huge Callaway fan but for the air intake it looks like the Honker is really a good product. Look at the latest edition of vette magazine where they have an independent tuner, MTI Racing install and tune just for Honker. I have a vararam and if I were to do it over I think I would go with Honker. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
gorillavet said:
I am not a huge Callaway fan but for the air intake it looks like the Honker is really a good product. Look at the latest edition of vette magazine where they have an independent tuner, MTI Racing install and tune just for Honker. I have a vararam and if I were to do it over I think I would go with Honker. :)
I was there during that mag interview. Good stuff.

FWIW 35rwhp/37rwtq was gained on an 04' with just Honker alone last week.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
OhOneZOhSiXXX said:
I was there during that mag interview. Good stuff.

FWIW 35rwhp/37rwtq was gained on an 04' with just Honker alone last week.
NO Way :bs: That's what I call Dyno Magic :roll:

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
35 rwhp with just an intake ? That, I've got to see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts