Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK you 2002 guys, what headers (long/short) and
Manufacturer gives the best performance?

Are any headers compatible with the stock exhaust?

Are there units that do not require cutting?

What about a crossover pipe?

What IS the BEST combo for the total exhaust system (headers, crossover, cat-back system for the 2002 z06?

I think I got the Halltech down (I plan on using it, unless I here otherwise here)
And I'm down with the Ripper shifter.

These are the mods I want to do fairly soon after I get my car.

Thanks for all the help!:)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Be careful on the headers, get lots of opinions (pref. dynos) cause some have reported a LOSS with headers on the 02 :eek: :eek:

JC

·
Registered
420 Posts
I only have a pitiful '01. :)

Ordered TPIS LT Headers for mine today. Also ordered pullies. We shall see.... :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I plan on talking to LPE and DRM in the near future regarding the header question for the '02. I would think by now that they may have some prelim info - or will soon. I probably will also talk to either Dennis or Carmen at Vette Drs. All of these tuners do top notch work and should have something to contribute to this issue. If and when I can get some info from them I will post.

Perhaps someone familiar with MTI could contact them - I hear they also have a pretty decent rep although i have not personally worked with them..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Header HP Loss

Hmmmm... this sounds like a good question to ask the major tuners in Joliet tomorrow. They will all be there. JC...remind me. :)

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Re: Header HP Loss

I was told that Mallet and Lingenfelter were not going to show

Joe

fcalmes said:
Hmmmm... this sounds like a good question to ask the major tuners in Joliet tomorrow. They will all be there. JC...remind me. :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
TPIS long tube headers have given nice gains, ask some of the people that have them, the Z06's that I have been in after the install were mean as hell. I will have some numbers in a few weeks if I ever get the chance to drive my car. :(

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Carl, the gains you were referring to were all on '01's? I guess removal of the cats on the '02's will at the least reduce the gains that could be expected from long tubes. I will be calling the tuners I mentioned earlier very soon.

Also of interest is whethter a stepped header design such as now being offered by Breathless, will prove to make increased H/P over the "older" designs.

Also, I wonder what Katech sez about this? Anyone here (Frank?) familiar enough with Katech to discuss it with them?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
BrianK, great write-up! I wonder if KATECH would have the kind of headers more specific to the LS6 and ok to run on the street...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hcvone said:
I will have some numbers in a few weeks if I ever get the chance to drive my car. :(
Carl, if you did a little less DRINKING on the weekend, you could do a little more DRIVING!

(Oh, and you might be better at air bridge installs, too!)

;)

-Kirk

PS -- That old german crap was some good stuff! :guiness:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Keep in mind also, that FLP has headers coming out very shortly (within a week or so).

These headers have been rockin' the LS1 Fbody world, and their swappable design to allow an ORXpipe or cats is great for folks that worry about being emmissions legal but still want to pick up that extra 3-4 hp at the track.

Go to http://www.flpexhaust.com/corvette.htm for more info. These are the headers I plan to go with, and should put me well into the 360's, maybe even 370 rwhp range, with only a vortex, powerduct, and headers....not too shabby...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Just spoke with Dan @ FLP....looks to be another couple months before they are ready to release them. No issues with the primaries matching to the D-shaped exhaust port, the flange's diameter will fit around the port. I am leaning towards waiting on these....but dammit! January is a long way off, and I want to work on my car more! :cry:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts