Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I need advice on a CAM choice. I am having an SLP ZL402 bottom end installed with AFR 225 heads. What is your recommendation for CAM choice? I am being offered a G5X4 that has a 111 lsa? Vice a G5X3 either 112 or 114. Comp 921 dual springs and titanium retainers. What is your take on this? Any comments before it is completed is welcome.....

Please be as descri[tive as possible as I am not sure what the main differences are.

·
Registered
808 Posts
GR8 WHITE said:
All, I need advice on a CAM choice. I am having an SLP ZL402 bottom end installed with AFR 225 heads. What is your recommendation for CAM choice? I am being offered a G5X4 that has a 111 lsa? Vice a G5X3 either 112 or 114. Comp 921 dual springs and titanium retainers. What is your take on this? Any comments before it is completed is welcome.....

Please be as descri[tive as possible as I am not sure what the main differences are.
Go with the 114lsa for a more stock like driveability or the 112lsa for a slightly less stock like driveability (from a stop or part throttle low rpm cruises in 1st or 2nd gear. The 111lsa should be left for extreme street drivers or racers IMHO.

-RR

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
The 225's and 402 ci say you don't care about stock driveability!!
Go with the biggest cam and leave it to the tuner to make it driveable and acceptable for you!!
If you want numbers, live with the quirks.
If you want driveability, sacrifice 20 HP and you'll be able to kick in the A/C whenever you want and not have to go thru a different routine depending on a hot or cold start!!

Ken

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Ken is spot on ... if you want max power go with the biggest bump stick AFR tells you works best with the heads you have. If street manners count I would go with a 114+1 cam, which will cost you about 20 RWHP on the top end. I went with the 114 LS, plenty of vacuum, idles nice - plenty of lope, and doesn't stall with A/C on etc. So it really matters what you can tolerate.

Les

Kens06 said:
Go with the biggest cam and leave it to the tuner to make it driveable and acceptable for you!!
If you want driveability, sacrifice 20 HP and you'll be able to kick in the A/C whenever you want and not have to go thru a different routine depending on a hot or cold start!!

Ken

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would go with the G5x4.. It's a beast of a all motor cam! If your doing the 408 and all then you want to be thrown in the back seat.. O yeah Vette's dont have back seats ;) But, On the other hand if you even plan on sprayin the car.. Its not gonna work well with the g5x4.. But, Im a all-motor type of guy :jammin: So, Good luck with you new set-up! :thumb:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Kens06 said:

Ken
Right on, Ken !!!

Couldn't agree more!

Steve

·
21,354 Posts
Kens06 said:

Ken
Ken, have you been drinking again? Never mind, don't answer that! :lol:

Ken is right on once again!

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Glenn,
I would go with the X4. IMHO, the bigger cube motors need more cam to get the most out of them anyway. The car will be quite driveable if properly tuned, and you won't be
second guessing yourself wondering if you should have went with the bigger cam. Heck, Steve's car, (smithsc) has a T-Rex in it with a 110 LSA, and it is tuned right and he has no trouble with driveability, and it sounds mean as hell! Go for it bro! :thumb: :thumb:

Jim

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I still have time to decide as it has not been set in stone. I am sort of worried with driveabilty issues, but then again, I want the most too. Can't there be a happy medium? I guess I just don't want the car to stall slowing down at a light or at low RPMs. Or when I flip teh AC on and watch my RPMs dip down low. Hmmm.....What is the difference with a T Rex cam?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
GR8 WHITE said:
What is the difference with a T Rex cam?
From the TR website: "Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft - T-ReX v.2 - 242/248 - .608/.612 - 110 lsa 3500-6700 RPM Power Band. Violent mid-range & high RPM power. Requires computer tuning, 4000+ converter on autos, 4.10's or greater on manual trans cars. Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended. Due to the extreme nature of this camshaft, piston to valve clearance must be verified when using modified cylinder heads." :jawdrop:

·
Registered
858 Posts
If it were my personal car I would go with the X3 on 114LSA...I think this would be a great all around cam for a 402 cube setup. IMHO it is on the edge for a 346 setup but would be just right for a 402.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi guys,

The G5X-3 on a 114 in a 402 will be a very drivable camshaft. In a LS6, 346cu in it is used as a daily driver for many of our customers.
To achieve better low end torque, the 112 will do that. The 402 cu in will respond well to either cam. The power peak on the 114 will be about 200 rpms higher than the 112.

Either way, the 402 will respond equally good with either cam.

I have a G5X-4 in my own LS2 C6. It needs just a little more work to make it a pure street daily driver cam. Again, if this is not an issue then the choice is yours.

Unless you are racing it on a regular basis, then I would go with the G5X-3 just for the pure pleasure of great power and great drivability.

Hope this helps.

Call if I can answer any of your questions.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The T Rex sounds like it is just insane. Since I live in an apartment complex, I am sure a cold start would be the envy of the neighborhood. I am thinking the X3, and not to mention, gas here in Arizona sucks with only 91 Octane avaialble so I will lose some compression as well. I believe a 10.89 is what they suggest is highest for 91 Octane.

With a heads/cam package, are there any further recommendatins such as "I would get this, this, and this to be on the safe side" etc? Like, pulley, fuel pump, etc....Thank you.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The one negative, at least for me, with the TRex is that if I want to add a set of heads I will need to either fly cut the pistons or get a set of new pistons with reliefs cut in.

Sure would love to see it push past 500rwhp without a power adder or juice. We'll see what kind of bonus and tax refund I get, and whether Tam sees it before I get a chance to spend it.

Steve

·
Registered
387 Posts
GR8 WHITE said:
Well, I still have time to decide as it has not been set in stone. I am sort of worried with driveabilty issues, but then again, I want the most too. Can't there be a happy medium? I guess I just don't want the car to stall slowing down at a light or at low RPMs. Or when I flip teh AC on and watch my RPMs dip down low.
All the problems you are mentioning are solved during the tune. Driveability is fine.

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
Come up to the Peoria Hooters on Sat 8/06 around noon!!
I'll let you drive mine! I've got the X2 on a 112 and it's tame as a kitten around town!! If you don't shave the heads, my 205's get 10-1 CR and great valve clearance both static and drop valve!!

Ken

·
Registered
711 Posts
Glenn, i'd go with the X3 on a 112lsa like Lou was saying. I had the X2 in my Z28 and was pretty happy with it. I think the X4 may be a bit much for you to drive everyday. You rack up a lot of highway miles when we go to the "spot" to race. I have a baby cam in my Z 228/232 .579 on 112lsa. I could stand to go a lot bigger but i wanna go FI. I'm sure what even cam you pick it will be a screamer with the rest of the mods that are getting done.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has anyone tested the 112 G5X3 against the 114 for HP or torque?

_C

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is an old thread 360 Chris. Since then, the G5X3 now has a Version #2, called the G6X3.

The difference between 112 and 114 is definitely some shake rattle and roll, and a few ponies, about 10-20.

What will you go with? I wanted NO SPRING ISSUES and I also wanted spring life longevity......I got 30K miles with the G5X3. Bench tested, they were same strength as my NEW Comp 921 springs, so when I swapped out to the new springs, I kept my old springs for back up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks! I purchased the G5X3 114, but I just want to make sure it's what I want before installing it. I might go with the 112...

_Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts