Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever installed a cam in a 97-2001 vette. What does it require? What has to be removed, lifted etc..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi,
Intake, front cover, cylinder heads, radiator, water pump, lifters and retainers.
Gaskets needed, full set, minus oil pan, and rear cover.
Remember that alignment of the covers at the front and the top ARE CRITICAL to effective oil sealing of the engine.
Be EXTREMELY cautious, and do NOT rush it.
Best to you, c4c5

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Just a few more questions. Why would I have to remove the heads. Is it a myth about not removing the intake because the lifters stay up in the retainers with no load /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif And what oiling seals holes?, the front cover? I havent ever took a LS1/LS6 apart, plenty of SBC. I just want to know what to expect. Thanks for the help. I was beginning to think we had no techies around. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Per GM documents on camshaft replacement, we are told to remove the heads, due to the fact that the way the cylinder head bolts fasten within the block.
I remove the valley pan just for comfort, less stress on the fingers when you install the cam.
There are no dowel pins on the LS6, or LS1, so you can shift all of the covers substantially. Correct mating of the surfaces ensures that your aluminum/rubber gaskets sit correctly, and that your sealant stays where it should.
At the shop, we have a whole kit, just for Gen 3 engines to assemble these motors. I would encourage you to see if anyone has a kit that you could use. Its that important.
Let me know if I can assist further, c4c5

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Bad, if your installing a cam you will want to have the heads done to take advantage of the cam. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif C4C5 you have to pull the steering rack don't you?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of doing the heads but someone posted a while back that they got a cam from haltech? I think and was running mid 11s just with this change. My personal thought is that the Z06 heads flow enough for 400rwhp stock.w/cam With tuning info that TeamZr1 post and little add ons hear and their. I guess I havent seen any body with a Z06 do this and think it will work. and by nature (engineer) want to know how much HP everything makes and make my own asumtions and not go by what the aftermarket folks say. I think this forum will get me their /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif wouldnt it be sweet to see a mid-low 11s Z06 with just a cam and some boltons.
call me crazy but I think I can do it without headers. ( I know I will get it for this one) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
thanks for the help guys/gals

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi Carl,
Yes, you are correct, the rack also does have to come out, which requires slight lowering of the subframe for clearancing.
thanks for the reminder, c4c5

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Thank you!!! We are getting ready to do this and my builder told me it had to come out, just checking. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What hits the Rack? This is starting to sound more like a 2 week project rather than a weekend. LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bada$$: You are dreaming if you think you will hit 400rwhp with just and bolt-ons and without head work and headers. There is no free lunch here!

In addition, I strongly recommend that you have an expert that has extensive LS1 and LS6 cam and head experience do the work. If you do, great, otherwise, you may not get the results you seek--or a properly running car!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Removal of the harmonic balancer, and the fron cover necessitate the removal of the steering rack.
Best, c4c5

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
As Mako said without heads and headers (long tube) you would have trouble getting near 400 RWHP. This is a rather long install to do the job correctly, I am sure you can do the work but extreme care must be used when pulling the steering rack, amoung other things.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys Just think of it like this. My Z makes 340 at the wheels. All I need is 60HP. I believe the cam will give me atleast 30hp. The Ls1 cars are picking up 20 give or take. so thats 30hp I need to make up. TeamZR1 is gaining 3-5hp here and thier with just tunning the cars timing.=10 so now Im at 20hp ok. If a air intake tric mag or what ever makes say 15hp on a stock car with stock airflow requirements just think of what it will do for one that needs more air. say 20hp I realize this may seem far fetched to some of you guys, but The airflow numbers these heads produce stock is enough to support 400 rwhp. looking at the exhaust manifolds they are shorty headers. why pay 1k for LT for 10 hp doesnt make since to me? LOL /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the info guys and the challenge!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You still need heads, the stock heads although good will not hold up the higher lift cam, you at the very least need to put stronger valve springs in.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree valve springs retainers and locks would be needed. Winter is coming soon so I got to find a junker to drive while I mess with the vette. Has anyone ever messed with the older version SBC? Seemes to me heads that flowed as well as the LS6 were trick aftermarket pieces? Thats why Im stuck on using/believing they will produce the power I guess. thanks for the info. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Z

·
0 Posts
371.4 RWHP with just headers Exhaust (PRT)
Verdones Off Road Pipe Verdones PCM Power Upgrade. Stock Air Box w/K/N Filter
368lb at rear wheels . and it was 110 out side with in take temp at 90 degs.. We will make 380n to 385 when it drop to about 60 deg out sid. By then I will be at the SEMA show in Vegas with the Blower Installed.
Should make about 490 to 500 hprw..
And Yes we will be selling it by the end of the year. REMEMBER YOU CAN'T CHANGE HARDWARE WITHOUT REPROGRAMING SOFTWARE!
TRADEMARK VERDONE PERFORMANCE INC /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts