Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some LT coated headers off a forum member a few weeks back for my 01Z06 with 9k miles. Also, Speed Inc in Chicago was offering a "cam install" special for about $1700 that included cam, install, all gaskets etc... and an ASP underdrive pully and then dyno tune for $1600 and change. For an additoinal $200 they are install my headers. I could bust my knuckles for a week putting on the headers, but the older and lazier I get, $200 isn't worth the aggravation to me.

Anyway, reason for post.

They recommended a 224/224 114 cam for me

My goal is 400+ RWHP, with basically stock drivability. No cam surge as I don't want deal well with that(past mustangs with cams etc..).

I'm leaning toward a 224/224 112 cam for a bit of lope
should I go for a 228/228 112 or ???
I pretty much have my choice of comp cams.

thanks
John

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i would go with the 224/224 114 cause you mention "basically stock driveability." Thunder Racing and TTP at the top of my list for that range of cam.

112 will give you the extra lope for a little more power down low.

sounds like a good deal there.

good luck.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I had a 224/.581 @ 112 cam in my last motor. It was a great driver but, it will have a little cam surge at low speed. The 114 might be a little better cruising through a parking lot. I loved my MTI C2 cam. I made 405 rwhp and 396 rwtq with stock heads and all the bolt on stuff. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I would go with a bigger cam on a 114 lobe. Mine is in the mid 230's with lifts up around .600, and driveability is not much different than stock. It has a very nice lope at idle and doesn't surge or buck at all. The key to getting a "big" cam
to run right is in the tuning IMHO. The Tuner I got my package from uses HP Tuners and really knows what he's doing and spent the necessary time to get mine to run right.
He has done a bunch of cam only installs that make over 400
rwhp. HTH
Jim

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the X1 (230 228) 112 LSA, nice lope, perfect driveability. 29 Mpg.
417HP 404 Torque. No pullies.

If I were you, I wouldn't go to small, its not worth going inside the motor unless you get at least a mid sized cam.

Good luck, its tough to pick a cam....

Dave

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
don527 said:
i would go with the 224/224 114 cause you mention "basically stock driveability." Thunder Racing and TTP at the top of my list for that range of cam.

good luck.
If you want "basically stock driveability", IMO I agree with Don. I'm running a MTIC2 cam 224/224/.581 112LSA and I'm very happy with it. The 114LSA will have less idle lope and keep it closer to stock driveability.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
:thumb: I'm running a Thunder Racing cam. It's at 230/224 on a 111. It has a lot of Rump to it. But overall it sounds good, (Super Stock like). It kind of has over the top street manners where it will rock the car at idle and bucks around in traffic if in too tall a gear. All of this acting up may be just in the tune. Oh yes, it will fly when pushed and has a great deal of torque. Thunder also has a new 230/236 on a 112 @ .600 lift that may be the ticket. Haven't heard any data on that one yet. If it was me I would go with the bigger cam but they are not for the faint of heart.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
CoronaL said:
I got some LT coated headers off a forum member a few weeks back for my 01Z06 with 9k miles. Also, Speed Inc in Chicago was offering a "cam install" special for about $1700 that included cam, install, all gaskets etc... and an ASP underdrive pully and then dyno tune for $1600 and change. For an additoinal $200 they are install my headers. I could bust my knuckles for a week putting on the headers, but the older and lazier I get, $200 isn't worth the aggravation to me.

Anyway, reason for post.

They recommended a 224/224 114 cam for me

My goal is 400+ RWHP, with basically stock drivability. No cam surge as I don't want deal well with that(past mustangs with cams etc..).

I'm leaning toward a 224/224 112 cam for a bit of lope
should I go for a 228/228 112 or ???
I pretty much have my choice of comp cams.

thanks
John
I have a 224 228 113 580's for sale. Its proven to run great and has perfect street manners.

·
Registered
265 Posts
robz said:
I have a 224 228 113 580's for sale. Its proven to run great and has perfect street manners.
You call a 10.96 proven with a cam only car? Maybe if you ran a 10.95, c'mon Rob lets be realistic. :lol:

John, I think you found your cam...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have a G5-X1 (LG Motor Sports grind Comp cam)
specs can not be advertised on this site as Lou will self destruct.
They are close to what you are looking for. If you PM me I will give you my phone # and then give you the specs but you CAN NOT list on the internet.
Rev dual springs, Tintanium retainers and ComCam harden pushtubes
All have about 2,000 miles on them.
I will sell you the "USED" in perfect shape kit for $500.00
It got me 408 hp with LG headers and was a great driver. I wanted a non "GREAT" driver. You know, when you pull up to a store and they come out and wonder what the hell is shaking their windows.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
don527 said:

good luck.
I have a Thunder Racing 244/248/114 cam and I love it. I have friends who have their T-Rex cam and are very pleased with the power it makes. The power is linear and progressive.

Viper Eater

·
Registered
895 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
I have a Thunder Racing 244/248/114 cam and I love it. I have friends who have their T-Rex cam and are very pleased with the power it makes. The power is linear and progressive.

Viper Eater
Got the Trex cam (see sig) in my 2002 Z and it's certainly got a bite to it and a roar as well!!! There is nothing stealth about it that's for sure!

Got about 6000 miles on it since the install and no problems to date (other than fuel mileage).

Steve

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Z06-Dave said:
You call a 10.96 proven with a cam only car? Maybe if you ran a 10.95, c'mon Rob lets be realistic. :lol:

John, I think you found your cam...
I'll give u a good deal if u were interested, shoot me a pm. Some of the cams the fellas are talking about are much larger. This will be more stock-like yet still scream.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know several guys running the 228/114* cam ... nice power and street manners are reasonable ... does require a decent tuner.

I know of several running the 224 cam, great street manners but they complain of the lack of power, it is good power but after a month or so not enough...

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you want a great daily driver cam with no surge and more power/TQ everywhere the Futral F13 cam is the way to go...

If you want all-out performance just pick one of the stage 3 cams from Texas Speed, Cartek, LG....

But always go a little bigger that what you have planned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts