Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have finally decided to install a cam :D . With my current mods I'm at 383RWHP, how much additional HP/TQ will this cam give me?

228/230 .590 113LSA or 114LSA

How will this cam be later with either a
procharger or NOS set-up?

Any input would be appreciated :thumb:

:cheers:
Mike

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sent you a PM Mike...

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it ;)

Thanks for the info :cheers:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Morzoff said:
I have finally decided to install a cam :D . With my current mods I'm at 383RWHP, how much additional HP/TQ will this cam give me?

Mike
I would guess 420 with a good tune

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Morzoff said:

Mike
Good Question. I hope my answer is as helpful:

There are a lot of variables that go into rwhp estimates and any estimate is, at best, an educated guess. Its very difficult to simply say this mod will yield exactly this much of a gain because HP tends to be synergistic and NOT additive. A pulley, headers, heads, exhaust, and cam may each be advertised to yield 20 bhp but when put togther on your particular Vette may yield 110 bhp or only 85 bhp. The dyno tells the truth. My pal Art has a 2003 Z06 identical to my 2003. We dynoed our cars at 3k miles and his made more rwhp than mine - they are identical cars right down to the option packages and colors. Now they have both been modded to hell and back. So, power adders will give different results from car to car and the only true test of the modification is the dyno and the street/strip.

Regarding the cam I'd call Paul at Thunder Racing or look for them at the Fest. They can tell you if that cam will work well with NOS or a blower. They also offer several awesome cams - such as the T-Rex - that may fit your needs. :guiness: :usa:

The variables that impact your upgrades include:

-What heads are you using? Are they ported/polished?
-Aftemarket headers?
-Aftermarket exhaust?
-Aftermarket cats/X-pipes?
-What size MAF/Intake?
-Stock intake manifold or LSX or custom?
-VaraRam vs. Black Wing vs. Callaway vs. Stock
_Most importantly, tunning...........

Take care and see you at the Fest...

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ScDFACHE,
I plan on running my stock Z06 heads for now, I understand that there is not an exact science to the HP issue. I just wanted a little feed back on gains people have seen with a cam this size :cheers: .

I have the following mod's installed now,
Supermax Long Tubes, high flow Cats, 30 svo injectors, K&N cold air intake and a tune with HP tuners. I'm trying to build the car in stages, the cam being the next stage. I have not decided which power adder to add later, maybe a pro-charger or Nos, at that time I will look into heads and forging.

I think that the T-rex cam might be waaaay to big for the smog laws in califorina, thanks the info, I will look into Thunder Racing :jammin:

P.S. Have a great time at the fest, I won't be making it out this year. I had a week in Texas and the wife won't give me a pass :blush:

See Ya,
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
robz said:
I would guess 420 with a good tune

Thanks Robz,
That's what I'm hoping for, 415-430 :yeadog:

Mike

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Morzoff said:
ScDFACHE,
I plan on running my stock Z06 heads for now, I understand that there is not an exact science to the HP issue. I just wanted a little feed back on gains people have seen with a cam this size :cheers: .

I have the following mod's installed now,
Supermax Long Tubes, high flow Cats, 30 svo injectors, K&N cold air intake and a tune with HP tuners. I'm trying to build the car in stages, the cam being the next stage. I have not decided which power adder to add later, maybe a pro-charger or Nos, at that time I will look into heads and forging.

I think that the T-rex cam might be waaaay to big for the smog laws in califorina, thanks the info, I will look into Thunder Racing :jammin:

P.S. Have a great time at the fest, I won't be making it out this year. I had a week in Texas and the wife won't give me a pass :blush:

See Ya,
Mike
If you can do BOTH Heads and Cam at the same time, it will save you on a bit of the labor costs and you really will not get the maximum benefit of one without the other. Good heads need a serious cam to maximize airflow and a serious cam needs freer breathing heads...

Best Wishes

Felix aka Viper Eater.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Correct, Mike, the T-rex cam is one violent sumbitch, and forget passing smog. Hell, forget an idle for the most part. That thing is on a 109LSA. If you want to stay smog legal, I'd imagine you wouldnt get more than 400rwhp out of the car, cam only. Add a set of heads, and you'd make well over, but it takes a decent size cam to cross the 400 mark, and the decent size cams wont ever pass CA smog.

Before you put in a cam, drive a cam equipped car. It may not be what you expect. I have a G5X3 in mine, and Ive lost low end, but the car really screams on top. Let me know if you'd like to take it for a spin.

Oz

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Morzoff said:

Mike
Well it was about time my brutha from another mutha. :sneaky: :sneaky:

Mike you know what cam I am running and mine made 416 rwhp 228 228 588 588 112lsa

I would say that you should expect to see in the 420-430 range.

You know what my car drives like.

D.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pakisho said:
Correct, Mike, the T-rex cam is one violent sumbitch, and forget passing smog. Hell, forget an idle for the most part. That thing is on a 109LSA. If you want to stay smog legal, I'd imagine you wouldnt get more than 400rwhp out of the car, cam only. Add a set of heads, and you'd make well over, but it takes a decent size cam to cross the 400 mark, and the decent size cams wont ever pass CA smog.

Before you put in a cam, drive a cam equipped car. It may not be what you expect. I have a G5X3 in mine, and Ive lost low end, but the car really screams on top. Let me know if you'd like to take it for a spin.

Oz
Oz,
I would love to take it for a spin :yeadog: , I was told that the cam i would install would still have great low end torque, my Hp will probably only be between 410-420 but my torque would be real close to those numbers.

Thanks MO

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DBarbosa said:
Well it was about time my brutha from another mutha. :sneaky: :sneaky:

Mike you know what cam I am running and mine made 416 rwhp 228 228 588 588 112lsa

I would say that you should expect to see in the 420-430 range.

You know what my car drives like.

D.
Big Bro,
It should be enough unitl your next package :sneaky:

Congrat's :yeadog: you know what I'm talking about :p

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thats what I would go for.

On a side note, I have a 227/224 Cam on a 114 LSA lying in the closet if you want it. I got it for 400 new, and its still in the box. Im trying to offload it, and will work something out for you if interested (though it sounds like you want to go bigger).

Oz

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Morzoff said:
Big Bro,
It should be enough unitl your next package :sneaky:

Congrat's :yeadog: you know what I'm talking about :p
Thanks for the Congrats, she means the world to me. :yeadog: :yeadog:

I have a feeling you will be getting a package worth at least 100 rwhp. :D :D

D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts