Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm ready to make the plunge, and have been researching what I want to do.

Here's my plan: cam and AFR 205 heads (and tune of course).

Package objective: emissions is not a concern, as NYS has switched to OBDII scanning. However, the cam must be completely drivable. By this I mean the car should not surge, should be able to handle stop-and-go traffic with minimal effort (not be impossible to inch forward and backward when I park), and should be generally fairly civilized. I don't care if the car shakes or has lobe or not. With heads I'd like to be in the 430-440rwhp range at least (I'm at 390 now) with no electric WP etc.

Cam specs: I figure to meet my needs, the cam has to make power low down. So I won't be going with a cam that starts to wake up at 3K rpm. Bear in mind cam specs are a little new to me, but after reading as much as I can I figure I need a cam with the following:
113 or 114 LSA (no fly cutting)
224/228
500-550 lift
As such I was looking at the following cams --
G5X2
TTP Cam
TR 224 Cam
MTI Stealth Cam

Do my objectives and cams line up? Is there one that stands out in this area? I know picking a cam that is right for me is important, but can I count on the tuning to really make the car fairly civilized if I go with something agressive?

Thanks!

-N

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You left my favorite off the list G5X3 on 114. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. :coo:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT L GO said:
You left my favorite off the list G5X3 on 114. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. :coo:

The reason I left out the G5X3 was because it makes it's power in the mid range, and seems to be a little light in the lower RPMs. This makes it less then an ideal cam for stop and go traffic. I think the G5X2 cam is more suited for this kind of driving.

Any inputs out there?

-N

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ttt -- any thoughts?

-N

·
Registered
265 Posts
Last week I installed the X1 cam (MTI), I was able to get 43 HP and 41 Torque out if it. I got HP and Torque from 2,000 rpm to redline. Tons of Torque from 3,600-5,500 and increasing HP all the way through the graph.
My Z made 374 and 363 before the cam, now it makes 417 and 404.
Picking a cam is a pain in the butt, good luck deciding, I know I spent alot of time on it. Whatever cam you pick don't look back.

Don is still mad I didn't go with the G5X3 :lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
You should do a search for recent posts by LG - they just did an "Texas emissions" package with AFR 205s, G5x1, and make 450RWHP, 430RWTQ - sounds like a killer set-up.

Bill

·
Registered
581 Posts
All of the cams make enough power low. Even the stock one.:)

The issue is operation below 2000rpm. And that will turnout to be an overlap issue. My guess is you are looking at a 224/224 114 or 224/228 114 with more like .580 lift. AFR sells a Comp Cam with this grind, and LG's G2 is there.

You can call Lou or e-mail him directly, or other forum sponsors, and get their direct input. The assumption is that you package will be head/cam package (which includes springs, retainers, pushrods, lifters), headers and X-pipes with cats, and some intake changes. The smaller cam may or may not like a FAST intake with 90mm TB. The tuners would know.

A by product of smooth operation below 2000 will be lower emissions and a smoother idle. Unless you are racing, you probably won't notice the 25-50 hp drop on the top.

One other question you need to ask is how much valve spring maintenance to you intend to do? With the more aggressive cams, it seems most people check/change their valve springs in under 25k miles.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David -- Interesting info. I was just reading up on the afr 224/228 cam. I am also talking to several local tuners (TTP, ECS and Vette Doctors) as to what the final selection will be. Emissions really isn't a factor, so I'm not worried about failing a sniffer.

My car is almost 2 years old and I think I have 8800 miles on it, so I'm not terribly worried about spring maintenance. However, I want it to be reliable.

Thanks David!

-N

1 - 8 of 8 Posts