Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiousity, has anyone changed a cam for more power but left everything else stock? why couldnt a step up cam from stock cam work with th estock exhaust and give power?

btw, those cam prices at Cartek's website of $425, is that correct? how much would be installation just for the cam? or could it be done in your driveway?

alot of questions, thanx,

luis

·
Registered
858 Posts
You could probably get some power, but you are much better off to get LT headers so that the camshaft can breathe.

I have heard of H/c cars making 400RWHP through manifolds, but what is the point when you can get there with LT headers and bolt-ons and have more power under the curve?

You will probably have to add valvesprings when you change the camshaft. The install is not that big of a deal, but I think with the vettes you may have to drop the steering rack?? If you are mechanically inclined it is definately something you can do yourself with the right equipment. You will need a pilley puller, valvespring compressor...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx niphilli, I was wondering because to get good set of headers and cat it will cost at least $1500 for the parts, I figure if you got a cam for $425 and got a 30rwhp out of it then you would be set to go if the stock exhaust would work fine?

·
Registered
314 Posts
For a cam install, tuning, parts - you will be close to what a set of headers cost you...

Do the headers first - a cam is a no looking back proposition.

Bill

·
Registered
141 Posts
i just installed kooks and high flow catted x pipe with stingers. i noticed a big sotp performance difference. it was recommended by cartek to do them first dont know why but i was leaning toward the headers also. i was quoted a price from cartek for the cam install and everything else they recommend and i was told i would put down between 410 and 420 to the wheels on my 01. but it is very pricey. they recommended the stage 2 cam kit for my street car with a new thermo, underdrive pulley and a double roller timing chain $2800 installed. but i believer im gonna go with gears and output shaft next instead.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
thanx niphilli, I was wondering because to get good set of headers and cat it will cost at least $1500 for the parts, I figure if you got a cam for $425 and got a 30rwhp out of it then you would be set to go if the stock exhaust would work fine?
There was a member that did a cam only swap awhile back. He got around 35 RWHP. The price after install and tune was over 2500.00 :cheers:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know several folks you did 228/114* cams w/o cats but stock manifold and Ti exhaust...plus a very good tune. They got good results and were happy with performance and street manners plus still had money to take wife to dinner...these guys new they were leaving a little hp on the table by not putting on LT headers...but both Zs dynoed around 400-410 rwhp....I think a mid-size cam matches up fairly good to stock components (?).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Before I went with a SC, I modded with a cam and springs only. Stock 347 RWHP after cam and tuning 380 RWHP. Cam was pretty big (232/238 581 lift on 113 LSA) and shook the car at idle. Total installed with tuning was about $1600. I didn't like it much due to the shake at idle (very noticeable). A smaller cam would help some by then not give the HP. Driveability was still good with a big push at 4000 RPM. I change to a smaller SC cam and added the ATI FMIC kit from A&A. I never have added headers and probably never will since I don't want the noise and have plenty of power with the SC.

Later .. .Larry S.

·
Registered
858 Posts
C5 CU said:
I know several folks you did 228/114* cams w/o cats but stock manifold and Ti exhaust...plus a very good tune. They got good results and were happy with performance and street manners plus still had money to take wife to dinner...these guys new they were leaving a little hp on the table by not putting on LT headers...but both Zs dynoed around 400-410 rwhp....I think a mid-size cam matches up fairly good to stock components (?).
I dont really get the money left over thing. By the time you do a cam install right...New camshaft, valvesprings, installation, and tune you are going to spend atleast $1500.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
TTP if I remember correctly has a Kooks/cam install with dual valve spring kit for around 3500.

Your choice of cams pretty much....

Big power little cost considering..

I used them for my baby 224/224 .563 114lsa cam and now that emission testing is by pcm plug in and not tailpipe....I would recommend going bigger..

Do the 3500 cam/header install/tune and be done with it.

After that...you don't need anything else...IMHO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a tech moderator at LS2.com and I also do private installs on LSX based vehicles.

I highly recommend doing bolt on mods first to prep the car for a cam swap. Luckily the Z06 has better stock flowing manifolds/heads than your LS1 based vehicles but you'll still be choking up the cam.

I would personally get your exhaust done, air intake system done, and posibbly even go ahead and look into getting a better clutch. Then start looking at cams.

Picking a cam can be a hard choice so you really need to think about how you are going to drive and what your goals are. If you just want some good useable street power then you don't need to go big to be deadly on the street. The TR224 is a moderate sized cam nowadays and it's putting cars into the 11's and making over 400RWHP on stock headed LS1's. Not to mention it's incredibly streetable.

Also a valvespring change is a must, there just isn't a way around that.

I recommend Comp 918's for smaller/moderate size cams and then Patriot Gold duals, Comp 921's or REV duals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts