Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I only do DE's and do not see a real need for a harness, I just sinch down the lap belt tight and HOLD ON. However, I am very interested in mounting an in car camera. I think that the cheapest "right" way to do that is to buy a harness bar from Hardbar, and a camera mount - s/b about $400 total, which sounds like a lot of dough.

Do you guys have any cheaper ideas - other than duct tape?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Im in this with you, I was trying to film a few things and I thought I was multi-tasked to film and drive which I was, but to pull a second gear fishtailing was suprisingly diffucult while holding a camera, so I Immediately started thinking of a way to mount a camera mount to take camera on and off...

If you figure it out before me, let me know :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The important thing is that in a shunt or accident the camera doesn't become and interior missle. You do not want to get harmed or have your expensive camera damaged.

In addition a good mount will provide good stability for improved image quality.

It must be fastened down correctly. The safest way is an approved mount on a Harness bar or Roll Bar/Cage. Brey Krause, IO Port and I think Hardbar have appropriate mounts.

As an option to a handheld video camera or a properly mounted one, Randy Chase at Chase Cam has a nice "Cone Cam" system that can be mounted for interior and exterior filming & recording and can be downloaded directly to your laptop. Those that have systems are Chase Cam, Cone Cam, Race Cam and RCS or Race Cam Solutions

Check out his new Headrest mount...then there is always the helmet cam.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
a lot of tracks won't let you run your vette if it's not mounted on secure, I have mine on the B/K harness bar

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'm in the market for this too. The night before the Hooters event I was all excited and went and bought a nice new Sony DV camcorder. When it came time to run I decided to ride shotgun in the lead car so I could use my camera. I ended up hanging all the way out of the car with my new camera at 100mph as Z's were flying by. Not real safe but the video sure looks cool...Next time I'd rather drive and have the right mount for my camera. Of course I will have to get one for anything I do on a track this year, too. So I'm watching this thread.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have mine mounted on a Mid America harness bar.I have gotten real good "stable"video.When I drove to BG for the 50th I had a tripod wedged behind the passenger seat and it stayed in place the whole trip.I wasn't allowed to use it on the track,because it is not bolted down.I intend to make another bracket for my harness bar to place the camera behind my head looking over my shoulder to get the heads up display.I have hand held video of me following our caravan leader passing the pack at 90mph on a twisty road in Idaho,where the HUD shows up very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts