Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a Saleen last night with the License plate "DARE U".

Was wondering if I should "dare it" when my Z gets in....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Both cars off the showroom floor. The Z06 will smoke the Saleen, it also depends on whach model Saleen. But remember thase cars are Supercharged so a lil after market computer trick to turn up the boost might make it an even race.

·
Registered
142 Posts
By the way my neighbor has a new Saleen 360HP Supercharged beast. I'm waiting for the warmer weather so I can beat up on his ride in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
837 Posts
A Saleen club ran a group of their cars at the dragstrip I was running one night last summer. Perhaps six Saleen Mustangs in all. None broke into the 12s. Some were in the 14s. Maybe inexperienced drivers. I was running in the 12.4s that night and had one 12.35, all on stock tires. The Saleens were not even close.

Ranger

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Can a Z smoke a saleen?

Is a frog's ass water tight?

Hell yeah, I've seen coupes and verts smoke saleens.

Cheers:cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much...

...HP on a typical Saleen?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
normjack said:
The S351 SuperCharged Saleen make more like 400HP.

It's actually 495HP, but they can't hook...and pretty rare if you see one of those cruisin' by.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
"Mustang guy" here...

I think I'm as qualified as any to answer this...given that I owned a '98 Saleen S-351 (all the '98s were Vortech supercharged). The S-351 cars with blowers were the fastest Saleens ever made. The newer ones (2v 4.6 with roots blowers) are not nearly as quick.

The S351 w/ blower was rated at 495hp/490tq. Mine put out 443rwhp bone stock.

HOWEVER...this figure was achieved at the rev-limiter. What does this mean? It means in reality, the car might as well have had ~400rwhp b/c you want to be shifting AFTER peak HP in order to get the most "HP under the curve". Shifting AT your peak HP will net you slower times. This is one reason I sold the car. It had gobs of torque, but I was basically having to short-shift the thing...and could never wring the potential out of it b/c of the artificially low rev-limiter built in.

What did my car run? I only made 3 passes on it. 95^F heat in N. Texas. Effective altitude was ~3000' that day. Best pass was 12.63 @ 113.8mph. On a "good air" day, it would have run better trap speeds, but getting the power to the pavement probably wouldn't have helped ET...much.

So, NO...even the fastest Saleen (in bone stock config) will not outrun a stock Z06. My new '02 Z is definitely faster than my Saleen was if for no other reason than that the Saleen would boil the tires in 1st or 2nd gear...with no hope of hooking up at all. The Z is much more tractable. Yes, the tires spin some, but not like an overpowered Mustang.

If I could have shifted the Saleen another 500rpm higher, it would have run 116-117mph through the traps...easily. But you have to remember...these cars (the S351 at least) are very heavy. Mine had the upgraded 4-piston Alcon brakes, large 18" wheels/tires, roll bar, T56 trans. Then add the weight of a 351W motor and a Vortech blower. Sheesh, it weighed 3680lbs w/ driver and I'm 150lbs. :(

Some mags got mid-11s/122mph on slicks with these cars. What they do NOT tell you is that 1) Saleen bumped up the rev-limiter for these tests, 2) they ran in very cool air (I've got the articles and you can see the guys are all dressed in winter attire), 3) they ran race gas and bumped up the timing (they do tell you this).

I sold mine, in part, b/c the computers on the '98 cars were tuned by Cosworth, and aftermarket "chips" (other tuning devices) etc did not work. Any chip manufacturer that says otherwise is lying. Now they can do a chip on the 365hp 2v 4.6 blown cars...but they still aren't going to be as fast as the blown 5.8 car.

If the Saleen in question is the "new" style Mustang ('99+ car) then you will cream him, unless he has gone into the motor and has had the car tuned professionally. Period. The car will probably not break out of the 13s stock, certainly not on street tires.

If you run into a '95 S-351 w/ blower (some of this year came without the blower) then you might be in for a good run. Those cars have the OBD-I/EEC-IV electronics like my '90 LX has. A competent owner can do a lot of magic with this powerplant...easily a 10-sec car with some tweaking, pulley change, upgraded fuel system, porting the heads, etc.

^^^^^and if it runs 10s then you'll be 400' in his rear view mirror...but it isn't a stock car, either.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I've driven the S351 and it is nothing to worry about. They are not that quick. I would say it would depend on the driver. We have a Salleen dealership here in my town so I see them all the time and get to test drive them on occassion.

BTW, I was at the dyno last year and an S281 dyno'd at only 280 RWHP. He was not happy.

·
3,265 Posts
PerforminNorman said:

BTW, I was at the dyno last year and an S281 dyno'd at only 280 RWHP. He was not happy.
Norman, was that S281 one of the supercharged ones?

There are a LOT of them that are just basically stock 2v 4.6 motors with the suspension/body kits.

None of them are worth the $$ new. I bought my S351 used with 12k miles on it...got a great deal, and sold it 6 months later for more than I paid.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have coworker who has a Saleen, he is so disappointed that he's going to buy a Z in a few months.

·
3,265 Posts
normjack said:
The S281 isn't even a match for the SS Camaro or WS6 Trans Am
Correct...in N/A or supercharged version. I ran a supercharged one from a highway roll in my Lightning truck. Side by side to 110 where we had to slow down.

From a standing start, I'd easily put 2+ lengths on the guy and hold him off to ~130-140 in my brick of a truck.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
WA 2 FST said:

Norman, was that S281 one of the supercharged ones?

There are a LOT of them that are just basically stock 2v 4.6 motors with the suspension/body kits.

None of them are worth the $$ new. I bought my S351 used with 12k miles on it...got a great deal, and sold it 6 months later for more than I paid.
Yuppers. He immediately pulled the blower and bought a Procharger. I haven't seen the car since it was torn apart at the local dyno shop.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I raced a 281s supercharged mustang when I owned my c5 conv at the track. I must say that the sound of his flowmaster mufflers and the rollcage and helmet setup looked pretty intense sitting on slicks however he only ran 13.1 et needless to say i wasnt impressed. no challenge for the Z not even in the same leage if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I saw a Saleen a few weeks ago. After looking at the back side I could care less what was under the hood......there's hardly any rubber. Even if that car was 400+ HP, there is no way the tires could have handled it.

·
3,265 Posts
VettTheRipper said:
I saw a Saleen a few weeks ago. After looking at the back side I could care less what was under the hood......there's hardly any rubber. Even if that car was 400+ HP, there is no way the tires could have handled it.
I don't know which year model you saw, but my '98 car had 295/35-18s on the rear and 265s up front. These are the stock sizes for that make/model year.

Even so, you are right to a point...it doesn't hook up well compared to a Vette, but that's more of a chassis design issue than anything else.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts