Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had another thread about this sound but i have just recorded the sound and wanted to start another thread for that.

Dealer won't do anythign till i pay them 8 hours of labor and they get plenty of drive time to help me figure out this sound. I am not willing to do that so please if any one can help me figure this sound out i will be in debt.

In the audio clip first five seconds you can hear "the sound" and then i am letting go of the gas and pressing it again so u will hear the sound go on and off.

Thanks

Corvette Sound

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
That to me sounds like to rear end gears that are howling.
You need to run not walk away from that dealer :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
How Do You Know When Your Vehicle Has Problem's In the Rear End?
Here are some clues you might feel and hear:

*Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.
*A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.
*Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.
*Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.
*Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.
*Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.
*A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.
*Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well one crucial piece of information i forogt to mention is this sound becomes audible at about 60 MPH and keeps on increasing till 80 and then it starts to diminish i think.

also the faster you go the more high pictched it becomes. so may be after 80 it becomes a too high pitched to hear ot some?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I know this sounds basic but are the fluid levels in your transmission and rear axle OK. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how do i check those?

well now that you have mentioned it i got my transmission fluid changed about 5-6k miles ago took it to the dealership (yeah i know) i bought the red synthetic fluid. I thought everyone here told me that i will need 3.25 quarts so i bought 4 bottles the guy who did the oil change only used 3. So is there a way i can chceck these levels?

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's the rear end gears. I had that noise in my Trans Am when they weren't properly set up. Get them checked out before something lets go and you have a big bill on your hands. I would rather have a shop that knows these cars check it out than a dealer. I would never pay a dealer 8 hours labour up front for anything either. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
My rear end started to faintly howl after some hard abuse on street tires at the strip. I made about 10 passes and ran my 12.1. That week the noise became apparent and got louder every day until it was a fullitme howl. Car still ran fine and I even went back to the strip!

GM replaced the rear end... said the pinion gear started to "walk" and wearing a new pattern caused the bad noises. Glad I had my extended warranty!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
got the car checked by a friend who owns another z and well his is making the same sound and he only has 10k miles on his car so i guess i never paid attention to it before. oh well :) thanks everyone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.