Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I thought i had read a thread on here where a guy bought a good GMPP warranty from a friend of a friend @ a dealership for around $600.

I went ahead and bought the 01' silver Z06 I was looking @ and I wanted to see if I could find a good warranty w/out the overinflated prices @ the dealership where they sold it to me.

Thanks alot fellas.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I believe the only way you can buy a General Motors GMPP warranty is if there some factory warranty still left. Is your car newer than 36/36 ? :cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so what would be the next best thing???

thanks...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chirodan said:
Hi all,

I thought i had read a thread on here where a guy bought a good GMPP warranty from a friend of a friend @ a dealership for around $600.

I went ahead and bought the 01' silver Z06 I was looking @ and I wanted to see if I could find a good warranty w/out the overinflated prices @ the dealership where they sold it to me.

Thanks alot fellas.
I believe you can only buy at the time of purchase from the selling GM dealer if the car is out of warranty

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You are all wrong. I just did it myself. Go to your local Dealer and ask. GM will sell you a GMPP warranty for any mileage car, whether it's in or out of the factory warranty. The only qualification they impose is price. They charge a LOT more for a car that's out of warranty than for one that's still in warranty. They charge a LOT more for a car with high mileage than low.

I bought 3/36 for my 02Z, which was *just* under the original factory warranty by a few hundred miles and a couple of days. If I'd waited another week, the warranty would have cost me $400 more.

I can't tell you what I paid, because I got the warranty at their cost, not the "MSRP" (proving that it really isn't what you know as much as it is who you know).

·
Registered
12 Posts
RocketSled said:
You are all wrong. I just did it myself. Go to your local Dealer and ask. GM will sell you a GMPP warranty for any mileage car, whether it's in or out of the factory warranty. The only qualification they impose is price. They charge a LOT more for a car that's out of warranty than for one that's still in warranty. They charge a LOT more for a car with high mileage than low.

I bought 3/36 for my 02Z, which was *just* under the original factory warranty by a few hundred miles and a couple of days. If I'd waited another week, the warranty would have cost me $400 more.

I can't tell you what I paid, because I got the warranty at their cost, not the "MSRP" (proving that it really isn't what you know as much as it is who you know).
Its to my understanding from my "normal" Chevrolet dealer whom I purchased my 2004 Z06 CE that the GMPP warranty coverage is retroactive to when the car was originally delivered. I recently (3/31/05) purchased my 2002 Z06 with 22k from an out of town dealer. I talked to my dealer about buying the GMPP "Major Guard" warranty from them instead of the selling dealer. They told me that they could not sell me the GMPP "Major Guard" (no deductible) warranty that I wanted as they were not the selling dealer. They could on the other hand sell me a "lesser" GMPP warranty ($200 to $1000 deductibles with less coverage) but recommended that I work the better GMPP no deductible warranty into my deal with the selling dealer. They further explained that only the selling Chevrolet dealer can get a "waiver" for the "Major Guard" 5/100 (no deductible) on that car because it was out of warranty and its mileage. I went back and made it a stipulation in the deal we worked out. I can see getting a 3/36 GMPP while the car is still under its factory or a little out of it. The trick is get the warranty coverage you want, not what they can only sell you when you walk in from the street with a car that is out of warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts