Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My stock battery died and I bought a new one. Was about to put it in and some guy at PEP BOYS said he did a battery on a c5 and it lost its stock programming and wouldnt start again.

So my question is can I just go out and change the battery without any worries?

Im on stock tune and all.

-Zee

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
I'm pretty sure you wont lose your tune. Possibly radio and clock settings, at worst.

Shouldn't even lose those...I wouldn't worry about it. My car sat without a battery for months and when I got it back...the seat memory and radio presets were still set. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea but the guy was saying something about DISCONNECTING the battery the pcm will loose power and the car wont start again. That guy had to have his car towed to chevy and get it reprogrammed.

????

<--- just confused?

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
I changed out mine and lost radio channels, but I had an aftermarket radio. Nothing else changed as I recall.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
CraZee ZO6 said:
yea but the guy was saying something about DISCONNECTING the battery the pcm will loose power and the car wont start again. That guy had to have his car towed to chevy and get it reprogrammed.

????

<--- just confused?
The PCM is a computer...if you unplug your home computer and then plug it back in...does it still work? My car sat with the battery disconnected for months. You shouldn't lose your program. :guiness:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You certainly won't lose your custom tune. I replaced the battery twice over the 4 1/2 years that I owned the car. The only thing I recall losing was my temper because it happened at the most inconveniet times. I don't even believe my radio or clock needed reseting.

Either the guy at PEP Boys is confused about what you are asking about or he just doesn't have a clue.

CraZee ZO6 said:
Hey guys,

My stock battery died and I bought a new one. Was about to put it in and some guy at PEP BOYS said he did a battery on a c5 and it lost its stock programming and wouldnt start again.

So my question is can I just go out and change the battery without any worries?

Im on stock tune and all.

-Zee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe PEP BOYS didn't want to install it. Never heard of this happening before. Just go out and change it, say a little prayer to feel better. Then start her up. That simple. Did they charge you a deposit? If they did go back and get it. And let the Service Manager know that you did it yourself and everything went great. Have fun and enjoy the rest of the day.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
As long as you do not touch a "live" positive line to the chassis (the ground) you should have close to zero chance of causing any issues with the computers.

PEP Boys is a great spot to pick up parts, but they are not known for skill and knowledge of their employees. Outside of putting tires on my kid's cars (with me watching), I would not recommend having any work done there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Agree, about the Pep Boys thing. Their prices may be good, but I'd never let one of their guys come within 200 yards of my car! And for gods sake, never let them mount a tire on your Z rims..scratch city and air wrench lug tightening without checking torque setting may happen. Don't mean to knock the guys working there, tryin' to make a livin' I'm sure...but if we have to watch over the dealer boys like hawks...Pep Boys?

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
lots and lots of people do it and never have any problems..

i however.. got the pull key and wait.. . column lock..
after 3 years.. not a probelm with the car ever.. then BAM .. this happens..
ended up having to replace the BCM computer module.. be safe.. put a jumper box on the terminals when you take them off.. and install the new one..
better safe than sorry !!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything went smoothly. Put in a BOSCH battery seems to be working great. Was going to go OPTIMA but after all the problems people had I said screw it. BOSCH has a 3 yr warranty and pep boys said if anything goes wrong bring it in and Ill leave with a new one. Sounds good to me.

They did chagre me a $5 deposit but when I bring the old one in to dispose they will refund it.

Stupid pep boys guy had me worrying for no reason lol. :roll:

Thanks guys! ;)

-Zee

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh yeah I didnt have to RESET ANYTHING. Just the RADIO clock not even the presets. :guiness:

·
Registered
195 Posts
tHE pcm is a flashable chip! Just think of it as electronic engraving.

It will retain whatever is programed onto it until it is flashed again with new instructions or perhaps lighting. Quit fretting about power interuption. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts