Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be taking off a P1SC can i drive it to the tuner.

mike

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Im pretty sure not!

you have to cover the oil pan hole..

and ofcourse you have to put some pullies back to OEM..

this is from an Unexperienced, so if Im wrong :blush: correct me

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I beg to differ. The answer is: Absolutely.

I've blown the serpetine belt off my Vortech twice now (it tends to happen when I lift throttle on a high-RPM pull). Both times, the first thing I noticed was that the power steering went away (followed in short order by the "service engine soon" message and rapidly increasing water temperatures).

However, in both cases, the engine ran fine without the blower turning (of course, partial throttle only). Each time, I had to drive it another 20-30 seconds to get it off the road to somplace "safe" and there was no perceptible difference in throttle response.

Since it clearly runs fine without the blower turning, it's safe to assume it'll run just as fine without the blower at all.

A blower-tuned PCM without a blower won't do any harm, but the opposite is not true. I would not recommend driving with an un-tuned PCM after a blower install.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
RocketSled said:
I beg to differ. The answer is: Absolutely.

I've blown the serpetine belt off my Vortech twice now (it tends to happen when I lift throttle on a high-RPM pull). Both times, the first thing I noticed was that the power steering went away (followed in short order by the "service engine soon" message and rapidly increasing water temperatures).

However, in both cases, the engine ran fine without the blower turning (of course, partial throttle only). Each time, I had to drive it another 20-30 seconds to get it off the road to somplace "safe" and there was no perceptible difference in throttle response.

Since it clearly runs fine without the blower turning, it's safe to assume it'll run just as fine without the blower at all.

A blower-tuned PCM without a blower won't do any harm, but the opposite is not true. I would not recommend driving with an un-tuned PCM after a blower install.

I can hang with that.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
so what about what I mentioned, you have to plug the oil line to the oil pan, :-? how long does your motor run without any oil? :-?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
COUTO1981 said:
so what about what I mentioned, you have to plug the oil line to the oil pan, :-? how long does your motor run without any oil? :-?
it's an ATI kit there's no hole in the oil pan, thats a Vortech that goes to the pan.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
And you don't need to plug the hole in the oil pan, though you could if you wanted to I suppose. The easier thing to do is to just screw a cap onto the end of the oil return line and secure the line so it won't flap around.

You also need to either remove the oil-feed tap plate from the oil filter connector (the Vortech needs an oil feed as well as an oil drain). But you could cap this, too, instead.

One of the big advantages of the ATI is that it goes on/off much easier than the Vortech (which is work to install. I know, because I did it).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts