Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to all the sales information from GM, the 12 disc CD changer is unavailable for the 2002 Z06, even though it uses the same head unit (with single CD) and speakers as the Coupe/Conv /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Is it possible to add the CD changer yourself (I know it can for the Coupe/Conv), and if so, has anyone done it?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
IMHO the stock changer is not worth the price if you are going to buy it and install it yourself. If you are not concerned about keeping all factory Corvette merchandise I would recommend getting a good unit from an electronics store. You'll get better quality (esp in regard to skipping) than you will with GM unit for less money. Just my .02 though...no /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif intended. Also, I believe that I was told by a dealer that the stock head unit had CD changer controls built into it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
That is a good question. Last year's 2001 model had the cassette player radio option for $100 credit back on the purchase of a Z06. I think this was so you could add a changer in the trunk area.

I have a Clarion model CDC1235 12 disc changer from another car that I would like to install in my '02. Is there an external interface available on the back of the head control unit in the dash or is it somewhere else?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know, the single CD player is the same for all models, so I would imageine the 12 disk changer can be added after the fact just as it would be for a Coupe/Conv. Need a wiring harness that runs from the deck back to the rear of the car for the changer. Harness can be bought through the GM dealer for about $80.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a spare factory 12 disc changer that I installed into my Z06. I had to locate the part # for the factory wiring harness and once I had that it was easy. But, the factory changer sells for no less than $600 so you might as well get an aftermarket flavor for much less.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer said they would sell me one for 'cost' at ~$380 + $70 for the wiring harness, so it's a concideration at least to go factory setup /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
From what I have been told, the plug in factory wiring harness is still supplied in the 02, so all that is really needed is to install the changer in the rear, and run the wiring around to the plug in on the passenger side, near the BCM.
I will double check this later.
Best, c4c5

·
Registered
21 Posts
12 CD Changer

The GM kit works perfectly on the Z06. I just finished installing it and taking it on a 400 mile trip. No skips on rough roads. The player is made by pioneer. I do not know if it can be purchased outside GM for cheaper. At any rate you must use the GM bracket and harness. There are two plugs awaiting the harness under the right front floorboard to the right of the fuse box. The worst of it was drilling for bracket mounting and pulling out carpet, and plastic molding pieces without tearing up anything. I suggest consulting the factory manual on interior trim pieces so you know where the clips are before starting to take out each piece.

The controls on the radio head work the changer perfectly. I do not know if aftermarket would work.

Regarding cost, I went back to my salesman and worked a deal on the eqipment. Still high but a lot less than 600, I was told there is one with corvette emblem on it ($800) I passed. I can put a C5 sticker on it if I have to.

It is a good accessory, expensive, but very good!!!:cheers: :cheers: :) :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
i added the changer to my vette and it works great. Get it from gmpartsdirect.com for 420.00 and that includes everything. I installed mine behind the passengers seat just aft of that ridge and have it facing the drivers side so i can access it while driving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i couldnt remember the numbers so i went to the gmpartsdirect.com website and looked up my order history,,,i was a few dollars off on the total,,,,,youre looking about 440.00 total,,,,,their shipping and handling is high,,,but the costs of the parts were much lower than others and even with high s/h prices it is still able to beat any other price i could find ,,,,,and obviously since its out of state there arent any taxes,,,,,,this should help you out,,,,,,let me know if you have any more questions

CD PLAYER
$299.40

HARNESS
$72.00

Taxes:
$0.00

Handling and Shipping:
$66.85

ORDER TOTAL:
$438.25

·
Registered
928 Posts
I ordered mine from GMpartsdirect.com.

CD Changer PN: 12495746 $299.40
Installation Kit PN 12497876 $ 72.00
Handling Charge $ 57.10
freight $ 9.75
total cost $ 438.25

Mine arrived yesterday late afternoon, I started the project last night at 11:15 PM, completed everything except the bracket mounting by 12:45.
Will finish the mounting bracket tommorrow, I had to drive it today to an appointment, it worked just fine sitting in the tub well.
The EXPENSIVE Corvette part number is 25685332, $856.00 list.
That part number is the part number on the back plate of my $299.40 unit. It's a Pioneer CDX-M2016ZG02, but I couldn't find that Pioneer number anyplace on line. It might be a special unit just for GM/Delco.
It's a pretty easy job, I didn't have a manual, so I just felt my way through the trim removal. No problems.

Stan :cool:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Was Taken

Had dealer install 12disc factory changer;no FM module here; for about 1k total cost. Instructions does not say key #5 is to change CD. Figured this out on my own.:-? :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
218 Posts
jimvette said:
Thanks Av8ter I hope to order it when I get back from Vegas
I live in Las Vegas and purchased mine from one of our vendors - Fairway Chevrolet located in Las Vegas. Sam will match prices so check him out under vendors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for putting me on to Sam at Fairway (supporting vendor). Great price. 408 and some change plus shipping for everything.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Glad I could be of assistance, sounds like you did better than I did on price. If you have not installed it yet, and are doing a factory installation, two rivits go in with no problem. The other two rivits must be shortened as they hit a brace behind the rear cargo compartment. I just snipped them off to fit. This was my experience with my '02 Z06.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also found that two rivets would not go all the way I drilled the brace, I figure the steel brace is stronger than the fiberglass alone anyway. It did not seem to hurt anything.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I just grabbed two 1/8th " length steel pop rivets out of my own box of pop rivets. Thought about drilling the beam, but was too lazy to walk back in my garage to get my regular drill for the heavier work. I chucked my drills in my power screwdriver to drill through the body panal. Easier to work with in the tight spots like that was. LOL
So the correct depth pop rivets worked very well. :D
That kit does make for a nice clean installation for those who are thinking of doing that.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts