Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 C6 Z06 that is bone stock and I plan on keeping it that way. I purchased it used in March, 2013, and NOW the odobmeter has just turned 3800 miles. Before I get any heckling, I do plan on driving it quite a bit this year, once the weather becomes more moderate. Anyway, I would like to have the REV limiter set at 6500 or even 6000RPM, to try and lower the risk of valve train issues that folks seen to have with the LS7 engine at high RPMs. I realize that lowering the REV capabilities will not guarantee that I wont have any issues, but lowering the REV limiter to 6500 or 6000RPM, certainly cannot hurt, as from what I have read, the valve train problems usually occur at high RPMs. Again, this may not totally prevent me having any valve train issues, but since I don't care about driving the car that hard, lowering the REV limiter (eleviating the problem of putting the enging too frequently at the 7000RPM limit, in as much as it gets there very quickly in 1st gear) would assist in me personally not diving it too hard and damaging the engine. Therefore, can the REV limiter be lowered and set at say 6500 or even 6000RPM? Is it a simple porcedure that a Chevrolet dealership can perform? OK, now you can heckle if you want. LOL, but I would appreciate some assistance as I really like the car (it's my third Vette 62, 05 and now this 09 Z06) and having a tendency to punch it once in a while, and not having the reflexes I had in my youth, I would prefer to lower the risk by taking the potential of slamming the 7000RPM point, too frequently, out of my hands and control. By the way, I really have gotten over my speed mania compulsion, as I used to race drag bikes, so at 67, I really don't have anything to prove to anyone as I actually just enjoy cruising and hammering it once in a while, but but not at the expense of blowing an engine and shelling out $15000.00 to have it replaced.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,807 Posts
A dealer has no ability to do that but someone with a tuning tool could

As example, would be the same, but look at the image below where for a 2014 C7
rev limiter lowered to 6,000 RPMs

Also the maximum MPH could be lowered and if wanting real safe is also timing could be lowered a bit

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changing your ECU tune to avoid not blowing your engine is worthless if you have a warranty (since they can void it saying you changed your ECU) and semi-worthless if you don't (since it doesn't actually address the valve concern that you are worried about.) If you're going to spend money because you're worried about a specific issue like valve guides, pay to have a mechanic periodically inspect your valves so that you can detect a valve drop before it happens. Or just buy an extended warranty from GMPP and rev worry free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Always in Z06 6A/6M of 7000rpm on WOT the shift should be done exactly @ 6400 first, second, third, forth, fifth gears... but the last range it should rev. at 5700 rpm instead to be on the safe side because it jumps even more than this. Pay attention on cut off fuel 6500. You can also do the same for the 7 speed transmssion.
You can use diablosport, hp tuner or other to do it.
But for me leave it factory settings don't play with rev. so you can keep your transmission healthy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts