Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone convince me either way please. I can't decide whether to go with the Lingenfelter maggie package, or the 500hp package. Please give me your good/bad experiences with each. I realize the maggie will give a few more ponies, but is it worth paying twice as much? I am very concerned about drivetrain reliability too, even though I only put 3000 miles on per year.

Thanks everyone. :jammin:

Adam

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have a maggie, installed myself. Its great! I think the best thing is the sound as your running up on someone from behind.....they know your coming FAST!

As far as rear end and driveline, no problems yet (fingers crossed). I will reinforce it since i am going for alittle more power with alky soon. I want to hit the 500rwhp mark.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I had the Mag and LOVED it. The cool thing is they don't know you have it till it is too late :D VERY RELIABLE and only used when you want it used. I would never do a head/cam package because of the reliability issue. Plus when I sold my car I sold my stuff to one guy and my car to another. That made it easy to get rid of. Just my .02 hope it helps.

Plus I like the look of the hood :D

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
If your car has mininal mods right now? I'd go for the intercooled Magnuson supercharger

The gentlemen above makes some great points...

Vette doctors in Amity ville Long Island price it out installed with painted hood for between 8 and 9 grand depending on the time of the year...

I wouldn't do any other mods...just the magnuson and have a party..Get the 200 dollar extended drivetrain warranty too....

36 months...36K miles...its pretty cool way to go...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
A Maggie for go and show :jammin: :jammin:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had both, and the only way to go is a Magnuson. Over a year now, and not so much as even a hint of trouble, and it's a daily driver. A blower cam while you're in there makes sense as well for a few more ponies. :cheers:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about the Mag and based on its design it is the best s/c out there, hands down. Get it, and go eat some Vipers...they taste great!

azzkiknZO6,
"I would never do a head/cam package because of the reliability issue."
????
What reliability issue are u referring to?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see a pattern developing here. This is exactly what I need to hear. I won't do Vette Doctors simply because they are further than LPE in Decatur, IN. Also, I'm not sure whether to spend the extra $1000 on the polished. I would like to get the blower cam though. I just need to save a couple thousand more.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Jumping on the bandwagon here...I love my Maggie for it's performance...looks...sound...and low maintenance. :coo:

·
Registered
475 Posts
itchynackers said:
I see a pattern developing here. This is exactly what I need to hear. I won't do Vette Doctors simply because they are further than LPE in Decatur, IN. Also, I'm not sure whether to spend the extra $1000 on the polished. I would like to get the blower cam though. I just need to save a couple thousand more.

On one of the forums, don't remember if it was here or not, a guy bought the unpolished version and found someone to polish it for him...from the pictures it looked every bit as good and I think his cost was somewhere between $2-300. I know I have seen people that advertise to polish intake manifolds and the like....this isn't really any different....and you can save some green in the process, just means you are in the loop more than you would want to otherwise....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
itchynackers said:
POLISHED!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
FirstGear said:
On one of the forums, don't remember if it was here or not, a guy bought the unpolished version and found someone to polish it for him...from the pictures it looked every bit as good and I think his cost was somewhere between $2-300. I know I have seen people that advertise to polish intake manifolds and the like....this isn't really any different....and you can save some green in the process, just means you are in the loop more than you would want to otherwise....
That was me. :) $450 to polish it and it looks great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
FirstGear said:
If you're going to go thru that trouble, could you just chrome it?? Not sure how the whole process works, but to me, a chromed Mag would look awesome. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Im not sure how that would work for heat release? Plus, if you were working on it and chipped it, good luck fixing it. Thats why i like polished.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
OhOneZOhSiXXX said:
I have heard nothing but good things about the Mag and based on its design it is the best s/c out there, hands down. Get it, and go eat some Vipers...they taste great!

azzkiknZO6,
"I would never do a head/cam package because of the reliability issue."
????
What reliability issue are u referring to?

Cheers :)
When I did the research on this same topic that is what many "experts" told me. "Joe if you are going to drive the car every day or on long trips don't do the head/cam" this is what they all said. My car never did a long trip I sold it last fall with 7500 miles on it. It was a 02.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
KillerVette said:
That was me. :) $450 to polish it and it looks great.

Someone down your way? I'm near Charlotte...just wondering...thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
azzkiknZO6 said:
When I did the research on this same topic that is what many "experts" told me. "Joe if you are going to drive the car every day or on long trips don't do the head/cam" this is what they all said. My car never did a long trip I sold it last fall with 7500 miles on it. It was a 02.
Thanks for the response.

So they never actually said anything bad (i.e. what would happen), they just said dont do it. That makes me feel a lot better. Thankfully, my Z is not an every day driver.

I am definitely no engine guru, but doesnt it seem a bit questionable that "experts" would insinuate that forcing an enormous amount of air into a stock engine whose internals were built to produce/operate 400 NA HP, is MORE reliable then changing/strengthening the engine parts themselves to produce the same power?

I try my best to go to as many club races/DEs/world challenge events/petit lemans races/etc. that I can, many of which are unrestrictive (as far as method of producing power is concerned), and the majority of the vehicles that I have seen, are engine modified (h/c) and they run great. It is rare (not impossible) to see a NA car on the track (which is ultimate test of reliability), with a s/c. I have actually seen more s/c cars (i.e. mustang cobras/saleens) with h/c setups than vice versa. And it seems that if an s/c setup were MORE reliable, than everyone would do it (especially considering that it is about the same price and MUCH easier to install).
Hopefully, the "experts" were referring to the driveability, and noise factor, of the vehicle.

Cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
967 Posts
If reliability & performance of of major concern, N/A is the way to go. Look no farther than the serious road racers,
majority of them are N/A big cube engines.
That in itself speaks volumes.

Serveral months ago, I had decided on a FI setup for my Z.
After speaking with the tuner of choice, he talked me into a big cube motor. Simply put, he's had them all, TT, S/C and N/A. His last 3 engine's have been N/A.

Now keep in mind, every setup has it's strengths and weaknesses. I'm planning on racing my Vette regularly, so I've decided N/A.
If all I was planning is the odd tromp, and mostly daily duties, I would have stayed with the FI. It can't be beat for the $$ and keeping the Z civil.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I went the maggie route as well and can't enjoy it enough! It's there when you want it and MAN it is there when you use it!! I toyed with the idea of not going with the polished look, but I knew that I would only be 90% satisfied. Also, I went with the blower cam.... nice lump, lump. Once you pay for it, just enjoy it. As far as driveline damage, I kept my original tires. The theory is that the tires should break loose before something else does. No problems in the first seven months.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts