Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Life's rough: Which car to bracket race this weekend?

• 2001 Corvette Z06 (near stock)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 1987 Buick Regal Turbo T (nowhere near stock)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon (bone stock)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's my dilemma. I know it's not a "real" problem, but I want to go drag racing, and I just saw that I wore out my drag tires on my drag car (560 hp Turbo T) driving it daily this week for some strange reason. So, I could go drag the Z06 but it would only go high 13's @ 104 at my altitude (Bandimere). I want to go faster, knowing it runs low 12's at 115 at lower altitudes so it is depressing to run that slow.

I could take the Buick but I'd be trying to peddle the thing all the way down the 1/4 on 225 60 Z rated yokohama AVS tires. Would be cool to unleash 560 rwhp and 650 rwtq and John Force burn it out to the 1/8 mile marker tho...Can you say 13.5 at 125?

It's bracket racing so I'm thinking the Z06 might get me a little further in the eliminations than my first race, that is if it isn't a pro bracketeer sandbagging me.

Or I could save the beating on the Z06 and beat on my driver-a stock 04 WRX and pull a mid 14 second run at 93-ish, but I have lots of drag racing practice in the Z06 and none in the scooby, so again, leaning towards taking the ZslowSix...

Oh, to make it more interesting, here's a twist: the GF (pit crew, videotagrapher) hates C4, C5 and C6 vettes...

In summary
_________
Fun factor: Buick/Z06 tie
Highest MPH: Buick by 20+ mph
Lowest ET: Buick
More consistent ET: Z06
Looks badass: wait that doesn't matter
Less likely to break something: Z06
Best 60 foot on aforementioned tires: WRX
Most enjoyable trip to and from track on twisty road: Z06

Total
____
Buick: 3
Z06: 4

What do ya'll think? Ok, I need therapy...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
"Take the GF out to dinner, and a movie"

Roger, Wilco. That's tonight: Seafood and StarWars:) See, here in Colorado the hippies don't like loud noise, so we have to race during the day...and she works Sat night as well.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I say take the one you think you'll get more practice in, the one you want to brake a personal record in, If you think you can get better with the Z06 take the Z06, if you thik the Buick needs tires wait for tires, or take the WRX if you're curious what you can get out of it, :yeadog: yea right, It must suck to be you with these decisions :crazy:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I say take the one you think you'll get more practice in, the one you want to brake a personal record in, If you think you can get better with the Z06 take the Z06, if you thik the Buick needs tires wait for tires, or take the WRX if you're curious what you can get out of it, yea right, It must suck to be you with these decisions
Good points. I'm curious about the scooby, but I do enjoy a good 1-2-3-4 shifting on the BPP in the Z06...oh, wait, it's a 1-2-3 at this altitude...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Take the old mans car

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry, for the confusion, I tried to attach a picture of our 8.68 @ 159mph 2005 Bowling Green winner... A Black T-Type... We call it the old mans car!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Another fun option, skip Bandemere, take the Z on a road trip out 285 and on the way back stop at the Fort for dinner. :)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Buick Regal Turbo floats my boat :cheers:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses! Funny thing happened. I was up early ready to go racing in the vette. However, the GF managed to get over her hatred for the Z06- she spat on the front bumper when I was pulling cars out of the garage- no biggie, nothing a soft towel can't fix. So I decided to yank the wheels off the Buick, get fresh meats for daily driving and shop for a set of slicks to race another day. Since she was over the fact that I drove a two door chevy coupe, I decided to skip drag racing and took her on a two part 200 mile cruise in the Z06 to west Denver to shop for music CD's then cruised up beyond Boulder to the foothills on Baseline Rd. Hippies were out in force playing drums up there, so we had to jet. Swinging back down 93 to 470 stopping by Dinosaur Ridge since she never saw those dinosaur tracks before. From there, a nice drive up the canyon back roads to Evergreen. Back at the fort and still burnin' daylight I installed a PCV catch can on the Buick since it was sans wheels which were down at the shop. Gettin' hungry we went back downtown for Chinese food then back to the casa. Got close to 30 mpg yesterday and didn't break anything in the cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts