Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember reading MY02 Z06's post.....4.0 Finally.

They tested the 02 405HP Z06
0-60 in 4.2
1/4 at [email protected]

Well I was reading the January 2002 issue of GM High Tech Performance Magazine. It had a article with a 01 Z06 vs a Viper GTS.

Well lookie here.....
First run the 2001 385HP Z06 gets a [email protected](best run as well).
BTW the Viper pulled off a [email protected](best run).

They also said that it MAY be possible for the 02 Z06 to get a 11.9 under ideal conditions.

They said they will be testing a 02 but waiting for GM to supply one. Wonder if one of you 02 guys wouldnt mind letting them test it.

Car and Driver drivers=:puke:
Car and Driver needs to get some better drivers....so we can really see what the 02 Z06 is really about.

Can't wait for GM High Tech Perf. Magazine to get a 02 Z06 so I can see the times the new 405HP Z should be getting:D...not this 12.4 crap.

Just though you'd like to know!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yeah, for the longest time, they have disliked the Corvette for some reason. Maybe because it is American, and BETTER. Remember the 1991 GMC Syclone? They did a test between it and the new Ferrari 348TS, Syclone outran it, for about 1/4 the cost. They bashed it pretty bad. Even though it outran it. Go figure.

Andy
02 T/R Z06

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Wouldn't it be :cool: if they used pro drag racers to conduct the 1/4 mile tests? :yeadog:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Why worry????

We have numerous guy's pulling 12.1-2-3-4's with the '01's...........
And some of them are like me bone arse rookies, with bone arse stock wheels.....
SO, you KNOW the '02's will EASILY pull into the high 11's......with a decent driver.............
The 385 HP rated cars were UNDERATED, and you KNOW the 405's are also.............so, wait see............
Also, you got the Viper against the '01........and ONLY a .44 sec diff???????
That is quite nice, for a savings of 25K...............IMHO anyway.............:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I saw the article in GM hi perf.

With regards, I haven't seen anyone close to the 11s in a bone stock '02. I have seen some cars come close, or break into that magic area with mods, but remember the car in the magazine are stock. Also those guys don't own the cars, so they get a limited ammount of time to get the feel for a car. So a 12.4 in a stock car with the stock airbox etc... for a '01 with no seat time in the 90's is pretty darn good.

My hat is actually off to the guys at GM hi-perf they turned in what I considered to be some fantastic numbers for a '01 considering the weather, temp, and other factors.. As for Car and Driver you must also look at their testing methods. Car and Driver has written about that on many occasions. They try to make sure that all cars are on a level playing field, they don't powershift, there is just alot of stuff they COULD do to make their runs better. But, they don't. So, you can only use their numbers to compare it to other cars in their magazines which are tested in the same manner.

But, a .1 is still a .1, and the fact that a viper is .44 quicker, well that translates into 4 1/2 car lengths. Which when you are looking at the guy in front of you and he is 4 car lengths out in forn t of you, it seems like a long way. But I think the Camaro guys probably say the same thing about Camaros vs Corvettes.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Wouldn't it be cool if they used pro drag racers to conduct the 1/4 mile tests?
Yes it would Zippy. Yes it would!:lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you live or die by the 1/4 times published in magazines, I guess you'll have to be upset when any of the rags don't come up with the times you like. Me, I just read the magazine times for general interest, and pretty much enjoy my cars no matter what they say.

As far as a GMC Syclone beating a 348 in a drag race, that doesn't surprise me. if you want a truck dragster, it sounds like a sweet deal. Same thing for the new Ford Lightning.

I'd personally take any Ferrari over those trucks, even it it does get beat in a drag race.

Jim

·
Registered
638 Posts
In an unusual turn of events, Motor Trend gave the 01' Z the thumbs up. I ahve never seen a mag more pro BMW than MT. They give BMW every other accolade possible.

BTW I guess I am biased MB E55.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
JRod

4 car lengths...............why that's ONLY $6,250.00 per car length......before interest on the note of course:lol:
You think you might use 1/4th of that 25k, for a head & cam job........and then the stable stallions would be heads up............:cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
jhodel

Why live and die by the mags...........
Heck, they are usually skewed and incorrect as we have seen around here.........
0-60, 1/4 times, top speed, they never come out the same....never..........:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts