·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Z06 9k miles

stock when I bought in Feb/05'

added Vararam last week

took into LS1Speed in chicago IL this past week

Had them add 224/224 114 comp cam, TTIS ceramic coated headers and random cats. Were supposed to add ASP pulley, but they were out at time. After install and tune car pulled 393 at wheels.

Little disappointed I didn't hit the magic 400rwhp. However car pulls hard so that's good. There's alot of valvetrain noise that they state is "normal" so I'll go along I guess. Plus there is rattle in rear stock exhaust.

Wanted some opinions on the valvetrain noise and the rear exhaust rattle.

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Increased valvetrain noise is normal with a cam swap, as far
as the exhaust rattle goes, would have to hear it to give an opinion on that. could just be a loose clamp somewhere.
Enjoy the new power from the cam and don't worry about the noise, you'll get used to it. I like to think of my valve train noise as a "mechanical symphony" :lol:

Jim

·
Registered
881 Posts
Had my H/C for about a month or two. The valvetrain noise is way loud. I am pretty used to it now.

Check the clearance between your exhaust system clamps and the center tunnel. Mine came pretty close on the side. That could possibly be causing your exhaust system rattle?

Enjoy the new power and be safe!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Congrats, The pulley would have got you right at the 400 mark. :z:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
That is a little low for 224 cam with LS6 heads. However dyno numbers arent everything. Try going to the track and if it doesnt run consitent 120s then complain.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
Increased valvetrain noise is normal with a cam swap
Jim
You will get that from the upgrade especially if you changed out the springs. Now you are familiar with the phrase "sounds like a sewing machine". It is normal and unless you hear tapping or knocking it's nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Sounds like your dead on. I don't have a lot of a valve train noise so its hard to tell what your talking about without hearing it...

Stock the LS6 has valvetrain noise and with the cam it seems pretty similiar to what it was stock..(give or take a few decibels)

The pully is only worth about 3 to 5 hp so don't sweat it.

I have the 3.73 rear gears and the pully and you and I are statistically identical in hp.

What valve spring setup did you chose?

Good luck and enjoy.

JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts