Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help here. I have owned this car since late december 2004. I bought it with 19000 miles on it. Since then I have had it in the shop 3 times already. The traction control system was replaced, the gas gage fuel sender was recently replaced. I get the car back today and I am driving around, I feel the car doesnt have the power it normally has. Anyway, my wife and I go out to dinner tonight. On the way home we encounter a 2004 mustang cobra on I 95. We hit it together then at the end of 3rd i am slightly ahead of the cobra(1 car) and I bump the rev limiter, no I drag the limiter and go to shift into 4th gear when I drind the gears there too. I think this is the order of events, then the active handling system kicks in(comp mode was on) and almost puts us into the median. Before that happened we were going straight and nothing but a ground gear occurred. The system kicks in and would not deactivate. It looked like I was drunk or something(NO ALCOHOL INVOLVED). I was all over the road. I could not control it. I finally got home and turned off the car. Turned it back on and there is no light on the dash and nothing to indicate the ah is on. I take it for a drive, bang first , into second when all of a sudden the system kicks in and almost throws me into the median again. I slow down. Heading back home, one more time, here we go hit it, second, into third and this time I decide to let off the and hit the brakes to see what will happen when again, bang almost into the median again. NOW, could it be something physically brole on the car and the system turned on to help or what???? I think this car is a lemmon. I think there were 3 owners before me and it is only on 02 bought on march 16th 2002. I need alot of help. I am afraid to drive this thing and I dont think the dealer know what they are doiing. Dr.Bigg :flaming:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Dr.Bigg

That is a scary story indeed:eek:
No way i would drive it in that condition or even try anymore high speed pulls. She would stay at the dealer until they find the cure. You say the dealer you had it to is bad. Check with some other members from your area who could possibly refer you to another dealer with a mechanic that knows Vettes.
Good Luck and glad you are safe after what could have been a disaster.
Let us know how you make out.

Jack

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Just saw you were from central FL., where at? Enough guys from the Tampa area with the knowledge to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
One more thing, you say the car was bought March 16 02, warranty will be up next week.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I know about the warranty. I am buying an extended plan from fichner, 36 months 50,000 miles. We were at the top end of third (rev limiter) and I have never been so scared in my whole life. That car was uncontrollable. It was like it was driving itself and didn't know what to do. My wife wont get back into the car. It literally was so bad it was like the steering was out and then come back in again. Thats not the case, it felt like this.....the car would go toward the median(99mph) and then all of a sudden it would correct and go toward the emergency lane off to the right. I could not stop it from doing this. I was able to slow down fast enough with hose big ass brakes to get down to 45 mph when it felt controllable again. Don't get me wrong it never stopped kicking itself side to side, is that what AH feels like. It literally feels like a boat with jet props on all sides , one side kicks in pushing the boat right, then another kicks in pushing back tot he left. MY typing is erratic because I am still unnerved. I don't know what to do. The light is no longer on but clearly it is still undriveable. Anyone know what to do????? I am in melbourne Florida. The dealer has been great to me but they just replaced the entire traction control/ah system for 3600 bucks 4 weeks ago. Does that sound like the ah system?? I can only guess that it is. The dash read this message" service active handling system" ! I bet the guy in the cobra shit his pants he must have seen me go sideways and hit the brakes because he was just to the right of me about 3/4-1 car length behind me. He had to be amazed at how badly I drove the car and still beat him :lol: Just trying to make myself feel better. I am truly afraid to drive that car. I felt like oh poop I just blew the car up because I ground the gears, but truly it was that weird. I drove it home and the engine was fine. The rev limiter was hit and the gear was ground but that happens all the time in all cars. I am just afraid of that damn system. It scared the shit out of me. I was 6 inches away from driving 100mph onto a sloping grass median with a car that sits 6 inches off the ground. I would have not only killed myself but my innocent wife that tells me to stop racing around all the time. She would have been a victim of my stupidity. Nothing should have happened. It was a straight line for god sakes, nothing on the road and nothing hit me. When I raced that BIKE the other night and we hit 162 can you imagine if it would have happened then????? Death without a doubt. I am going to bed to try to sleep so I don't kill someone at the dealer tomorrow. Dr. Bigg lucky to be alive. Dr.Bigg out :flaming:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I would have the Vette tech take it for a drive with you riding shotgun and see what happens. See if he can get a feel for it and have him run the codes and see what shows up. Have a few and try and calm down and just be glad your and your wife are safe.

Jack

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hey FYI -- all AH does is apply brakes to individual wheels to help you execute a turn. If a sensor went bad, this would cause the AH to misinterpet signals and help you steer, even when you are going straight. But to be brutally honest, I have never heard of such a thing.

Also this systems is completely seperate from your tranny. So the grinding 3rd gear and the rev limiter are totally seperate.

It is possible that you hit some sand or lose gravel and totally screwed with the computer. But otherwise I would be that you just got the car bent out of shape and fel the AH kicking in.

-N

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you going to Palm Bay Chevrolet? I live in Port Saint Lucie and I drive 60 miles to go to that dealer. I have had nothing but good things to say about them. I am not sure about your active handling problem but, I have a 2002 Z06 and have had a few 3 gear street races and I have only scene the traction control come on. When activated the car just feels like the brakes are on for a second or so and then it starts pulling again. The car has never veered hard to one side or the other, it really has straighten out. I hope you find something to fix, good luck! Bill

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
gsjack said:
One more thing, you say the car was bought March 16 02, warranty will be up next week.

That could be the case or not, If the problem with it now was somewhat happening when the Active handling was fixed, if its proven that the problem was already there and related to the earlier fix, then that part of the car still should be on warranty til its fixed :idea:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The car feels like it is way way out of alignment all of a sudden. If I put the wheel straight and go it will be in the grass in 2 seconds. Also the car feels like it is very wobbly like an axle or something that makes it go staright is not there. It swerves side to side. That message cam on the whole drivve home, service ah soon. Not on now but was on, car still very unstabel and screwy is all I can say. Yes palm bay chevy and they have been very good to me, no complants at all. They are great I just hope this time they can find the problem. I was backing out of the driveway this am and heard a loud POP sounded liek the back right tire. Could there be something broken all of a sudden?? I mean there was no power adder on the car or anything. I am wondering if the guy before tore this car up. I doubt it. I am starting to calm down. They will eventually find the problem. SCARY. On my way there now. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Seems like all this erratic behavior should be stored (codes) in the computer. :cheers:

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
I can run a CARFAX on it to see if anything shows up. It could be a pre-existing condition.

Need your VIN.

Ivo

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My opinion of the problem if it matters, by what I hear, there is something MECHANICAL broken, most likely susupension or steering parts, and since something is not straight the AH is trying to compesate to straight it out such as you would be sliding or spinning sideways ect. It might be something totally simple and makes the car be so crazy

option 1
If you're ballsy to drive it again, why not turn off the AH, does the car still run out of control? but then again the AH/TC should still since things and through messages!

option 2
call the dealer and have them tow it in, Obviously :(

·
Registered
881 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
My opinion of the problem if it matters, by what I hear, there is something MECHANICAL broken, most likely susupension or steering parts, and since something is not straight the AH is trying to compesate to straight it out such as you would be sliding or spinning sideways ect. It might be something totally simple and makes the car be so crazy

option 1
If you're ballsy to drive it again, why not turn off the AH, does the car still run out of control? but then again the AH/TC should still since things and through messages!

option 2
call the dealer and have them tow it in, Obviously :(
I agree. Some mechanical part is physically broken. The dealer should find it easily. I would put it on a flatbed to the dealer!!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Try to meet with one or some of our members in your area. I believe there are several knowledgeable ones close by. Go to members tab and do a search on your zip code.

Please keep us informed. When my AH went out, I would slow for a right hander and turn in and the breaks would lock up making the front end plow, if there was any debris- gravel, etc.... It sounds like they replaced the AH controller or whatever it's called, but mine turned out to be that the harness was routed incorrectly and was rubbed through by the alternator pulley. Check it out.

Good luck.

:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not sure, but can you turn A/H off (completely)? Anyway, try toggling the system-you should see something. If you can't, then something is fishy. If and when it's off the car should behave fine (provided you don't try anything crazy) unless there is a mechanical issue.

Since the traction control was recently replaced, I would suspect that something is up with it...

Anyway, that's my best guess. Good luck.

The other strategy is the put the car on a flatbed and have it taken to the dealer's. Have them figure it out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ARE YOU READY FOR THIS???????????????????????????????? As I dropped off the car this am at the dealer I happened to notice that from behind you could see that the right rear tire was about 1 1/2 inches slanted into the car on top and about 1 1/2 inches pushing out from the bottom of the tire. I would say those of you who said there was a physical problem are right the money. Thank god thats all it is. The ah might have saved my life by letting me know there was a problem before I shifted into 4th and hit 125 last night. It is sitting at the dealer now and will be dealt with on MONDAY. Somehow the right rear suspension gave or broke. In what way I dont know. No grease visible, no parts hanging down or anything. I knew it was a physical break, thank goodness. They can fix that right up I would say. Thanks for all the help and suggestions and thanks for calming me down. I was so upset I could have killed someone last night. Dr.Bigg getting the pushrods visibly inspected too. I am betting they are bent. Remember the mph in the 1/4 mile is only 109 maximum and that was 1 time. There is a clicking sound coming from the engine. PUSHRODS. To top all this off I finally got my generator I was waiting on, 15,000 watts to run the whole house if another HURRICANE hits and we still have a home to dwell in. THANKS!!!!! :z:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
:cheers: Good to here, Can you let us know what parts they replace? that way it could happen to someone else and we'll be closer to the problem off hand, thanx

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm glad it wasn't something worse. Not to mention, you're lucky! Keep your head man, if you kill yourself it's ok... just don't take anyone with you. :NoNo:

I had a similar problem after my clutch/tranny rebuild. They left a ball joint loose on the passenger rear. :jawdrop: They would have caught it if they had done the alignment.

I left the dealership and got on the freeway and everything was ok until I stepped on it changing lanes and it felt a little funny. A moment later the car moved over about a foot to the left all by itself. Then it did it again the other way, and about that time I figured out something was wrong. I got right off the freeway and gingerly drove it back to the dealership. They found the loose ball joint. They torqued everything to spec while I watched, and did a full alignment, under warranty, which they were going to charge me for until I argued it should be covered as part of the repair, considering they could have killed me. :mad:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
WoW Bro, Sounds like you had the angel on your shoulder for sure.:eek: This could have been the big one, sounds like something let loose in the rear suspension.
Let us know how you make out and what the cause of the prob was.

Jack

1 - 20 of 41 Posts