Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows what a 1/10 of a second equates to in carlengths in a 1/4 miles race. also I have seen alot of 1/4 time but never any 0 to 60 times any ideas?

·
Registered
788 Posts
from what i have read others post, it seems to be a consensus that .1 in the 1/4 equals approx 1 car length..... ????

im assuming everyone chimes in on 1/4 et because it is something that can be reliably measured....not sure how to measure 0 to 60 times....? i think one of the major car rags got an 02 to do 0 to 60 in 4.0 but im not sure.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
A car travelling at 100mph travels 14.667 feet in 0.1 sec.

Most cars are around 15 feet long, so you're correct :)

Hope that helps !

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yes the consensus in street racing and drag racing is 1 carlength per .1 So, if someone beats you by 2 carlengths or vice versa it ends up being about .2 quicker.

Now, here is where the launch is important. If you can kill someone on the Christmas tree then they can be quicker than you, but you turn on the win light. And a win is still a win.

The same is true on the street. If folks aren't willing to give up lengths, then go for the move. In other words, they leave when you decide to leave. This is often useful and can end up giving you 3 carlengths (.3 seconds) or more if you do it correctly.

·
Registered
528 Posts
J-Rod said:

The same is true on the street. If folks aren't willing to give up lengths, then go for the move. In other words, they leave when you decide to leave. This is often useful and can end up giving you 3 carlengths (.3 seconds) or more if you do it correctly.
You hit it right on the money.... This is very crucial when you are racing against turbo cars. You get the jump first, it takes a little for their turbos to spool up. By then, you already have a few car lengths ahead. Even if they have a stronger car, let them play catch up.

H

·
0 Posts
Somthing to think about

When you are in "Competion Mode" did you ever think how important it is to be the first one on the pedal?

It generally takes the other guy 1 second to react to your flooring it.

This is why if someone is following you, and you nail it, they have little or no chance of catching or even keeping up with you.

This is why roll-on races stink. There is no way to allow both cars to hit the gas at exactly the same time. Even if you try to match the other guys jump, you lose everytime (Assuming two fairly equal cars)

Another thing to watch is your passenger. If the guy in the Z06 has a passenger, and you don't, that extra 200 # is the equivalent of nearly 25 HP.

Now combine that HP equivalent with a slow reaction time, and you can see why the Turbo Porche beat you from a roll-on. Your extra 200 # passenger made your Z06 a 380 HP car equivalent and you let him hit the gas first, giving him at least a .5 second advantage. Done deal.

Jim

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
More fuel to the fire

If you have a _slow_ car then .1 might = 1 car length.

Who all here crosses the traps at 100mph? No one.

The answer is the faster the cars, the larger the victory for every .1 of a second.

Example:

A Viper GTS runs 12.0 @ 120mph. At the finish line he is traveling 176' per second.

Another "brand X car" runs 10.8 @ 135mph. At the finish line this car is traveling 198' per second.

While this is certainly an estimate, let's do this for simplicity's sake: 198' x 1.2 sec = 237'+ and pulling away even more.

In this case the brand X car beat a Viper by 16 car lengths...assuming a 15' car, even though the difference was only 1.2 seconds.

The margin just gets greater and greater the faster you go. Two cars running mid-14s in the quarter seperated by .1 of a second will be neck-and-neck the entire way down the track.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Lawboy said:
from what i have read others post, it seems to be a consensus that .1 in the 1/4 equals approx 1 car length..... ????

im assuming everyone chimes in on 1/4 et because it is something that can be reliably measured....not sure how to measure 0 to 60 times....? i think one of the major car rags got an 02 to do 0 to 60 in 4.0 but im not sure.
At 60mph you're traveling 88'/sec.

This will be an estimate, but will give you an idea.

Car 1 does 0-60 in 4.2 sec. Car 2 does 0-60 in 4.5 sec.

.3 of a sec at 88'/sec would be 26'. Obviously since both cars are not at a constant 60mph for the race, it might not be exactly 26'.

But, you could still estimate that it will be 1-1.5 car lengths for a difference of .3 or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts