Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, this is a strange one...and it may be normal but I'm trying to figure it out.

I was in my garage yesterday looking for my girlfriends sunglasses behind the passenger seat in the Z06. I folded the seat forward and reached my hand down behind the seat. Suddenly there was this trembling and shaking sound from my car. I was like, "WTF just blew up outside???" But then I didn't hear anything so I reach back behind the seat again and AGAIN a loud shaking/car trembling sound. So I started pushing on the part of the body behind the back of the rear seat and I could get it to make it every once in a while. So in looking further I found that the carpet there is in two sections, one that overlaps another. So I reached my hand under the fold that runs down behind the seat to where I could feel the fiberglass body underneath. Every time I pushed on the fiberglass body there (not much pressure) the apparently thin fiberglass section would flex and would cause the whole car to tremble, sounding similar to a bass drum!

Two things:

1. Does your Z06 have this "Feature"?

2. I wonder if this is where alot of the road noise associated with the Z06 comes from, and if there was some way to keep this piece from flexing during driving, would it become as quiet as a BMW??

I'm going to look into either padding this section or maybe coating it with some type of rubber to see if it will quiet down the car.

-Dave C. '04 Z06

·
Registered
291 Posts
Dave that is insane. I have never heard of that or seen it. I am back to dominating the streets again. :lol: Meaning I am off for the weekend. FINALLY. Good luck man. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Others might not remember, but this is a common problem and it's been discussed many times. The effect is called "oil canning", so named for the "poink-poink" effect seen when pumping the bottom of an old-style oiling cans.

There is no fix. However, it's not a reliability issue anyway.

·
Registered
475 Posts
There is also a body pressure relief valve back there that allows the cabin to vent while closing the doors. I don't know if this would have anything to do with your "shaking".

Chas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts