Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car acts like the clutch pedal/switch is not depressed to allow starting.

ALl other power accessories funciotn. Even when providing a jump the saame condition exists.

Could this be as simple as a bad battery?

Otherwise - where to even start trouble shooting this one?

I checked the switch under the clutch pedal - and a cursory glance at the fuses showed no trouble. AAnd the car worked great when I parked it on Friday night.

This evening went out to start it and nada.

-Paul

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
It could be the clutch neutral switch. I'm not to familiar with the C5's. It very common on the C4 ZR1. One way you could check is, get several of you friends together and see if you can push start it. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - I cheecked the clutch nuetral switch - seems to be completing the circuit according to Mr Voltmeter\Ohmeter...

We push started it - still won'tt turn over, so next step is battery I guess.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Dang Paul...that sucks. I hope it's the battery. :thumb:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would definitely check out the battery. Has the car been sitting around? How old is the battery?

I had a battery problem myself, and from what I understand the OEM battery has about 2 years before it goes...

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK - since we verified it can start when pushed, and all accesories are working - and I am very hesitant to let GM dick with my car - I guess this would be a perfect time to just hardwire a pushbutton starter into the car.. heheh

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do our cars have any sort of "secure" mode they can go into - that would prevent the car from starting?

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I would try the battery, all the symptoms, they just go, no warning.

Good Luck

Jack

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright - new battery installed - same story. Car can be push started but won't turn over when the key is turned - not even a click from the starter. The car acts like the clutch bypass switch is not closed.

Next step is to check starter I guess. I am also checkking the fuses again - is there some kind of relay involved in the starter/ignition circuit?

Thhe problem/fault can't be that difficult to find.. right? ;)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Mine had the exact same problem last year. Your ignition switch needs to be replaced (it's a fairly common thing to have break from what I've heard).

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NETfiend said:
Mine had the exact same problem last year. Your ignition switch needs to be replaced (it's a fairly common thing to have break from what I've heard).
That makes sense - as it iis acting as if one of the starter/ignition relays is just not closing.

The bottom line then is that a Engine Start button wiill be more reliable... ;)

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lone Star Chevrolet's diagnosis was Starter Motor - covered repair under extended warranty.

This is the one diagnosis we didn't do at home, for lack of lift/ramp etc to short the starter and check if it just flat wore out.

Strange that it just died without a struggle - but let's take the diagnosis at face value and hope for the best.

Of course I am now caught in the middle of a "we need to do the Column Lock racall flash" discussion.

I don't want the half baked software solution GNM is applying to a hardware problem.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Glad they found your problem Paul, wouldn't let them do the CL recall though. If they do it and it locks, will shut off the fuel and leave you stranded. They have sent me 5 recall notices already, went in to the dealer today and told them to take me off the list, your not doing it, finished, i hope.

Jack

·
Registered
8 Posts
The car acts like the clutch pedal/switch is not depressed to allow starting.

ALl other power accessories funciotn. Even when providing a jump the saame condition exists.

Could this be as simple as a bad battery?

Otherwise - where to even start trouble shooting this one?

I checked the switch under the clutch pedal - and a cursory glance at the fuses showed no trouble. AAnd the car worked great when I parked it on Friday night.

This evening went out to start it and nada.

-Paul
For me it was a dead ignition switch. It would turn but not tell the security relay my key was ok. So nothing. I could hear a few relays click, everything else worked, was clearly not a charge issue. Damned expensive to diagnose and have fixed at the dealer. I hate the dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts