Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a carbon fiber hood real soon but i want the oem look no high rise! the only one i have come across is from mallett. Anyone own a mallett? or know of anyone else selling an oem top notch quality hood.

Trev

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The motor city one looks nice it weighs 24lbs. the mallett weighs in at 15lbs. the motor city one says is uses carbon-fiber reinforced fiberglass is that why it is heavier? how much do the carbon hoods on the commemorative editions weigh? and is it not a good thing to have a 15 pound hood, will it shake under high speeds?

Trev

·
Registered
41 Posts
a oem Z16 hood is $1900 at my dealers. the mcm hood
shipped was $1550
Frank

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
hi welcome to the forum-I got my CF hood thru a forum vendor, Vette Essentials (listed under "merchants on the left). they get them from Motor City Mold in Toledo, OH....you can get it with or without the CF clear coat on the outside, in a 'stock' or s/c version. it comes primed with a black paint, cost for me to have it painted was $400, included blending it into the front nose of the vette.:thumb:

fit was perfect, took him less than 30 min to put it on.

pics taken at VE when I had it put on

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
Not to be an ass, which I am, but why would you spend $2K+ to look stock and save 12lbs :-? :-?

I've pissed away my share of $$ on Z's experimenting with intakes, cams, heads, exhaust, clutches etc to make it different or faster.

Empty the trunk and toss the passenger seat and you can save alot of $$ and more weight.

Sorry if I've missed something!!
Ken

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kens06 said:
Not to be an ass, which I am, but why would you spend $2K+ to look stock and save 12lbs :-? :-?

I've pissed away my share of $$ on Z's experimenting with intakes, cams, heads, exhaust, clutches etc to make it different or faster.

Empty the trunk and toss the passenger seat and you can save alot of $$ and more weight.

Sorry if I've missed something!!
Ken

Well the mallet hood weighs 20lbs less than stock not 12lbs. the mallett carbon fiber hood is $1500.00 not 2k+ and i love the oem look but want a better quality hood. Not into hood scoops dont plan to supercharge my car so that i need the high rise hood they just dont do it for me. I am sorry you have pissed away your money trying to find something that works for you but the oem in carbon works for me! and Leslie thanks for the pics it looks very nice, i like the clear center.

Trev

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
you are welcome Trev!

I love the hood, I get a LOT of compliments on it, just gives the front of the vette a better 'stance' look...and it does seem to keep the engine a bit cooler

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
TSDZ06 said:
Well the mallet hood weighs 20lbs less than stock not 12lbs. the mallett carbon fiber hood is $1500.00 not 2k+ and i love the oem look but want a better quality hood. Not into hood scoops dont plan to supercharge my car so that i need the high rise hood they just dont do it for me. I am sorry you have pissed away your money trying to find something that works for you but the oem in carbon works for me! and Leslie thanks for the pics it looks very nice, i like the clear center.

Trev
20 lbs lighter? Has this been confirmed? That is a light a$$ hood, got any pics?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
eviLS6 said:
20 lbs lighter? Has this been confirmed? That is a light a$$ hood, got any pics?

The mallett carbon fiber hood in oem form is 15lbs. mallett has a pic on their website. the stock hood is 34 or 36lbs dont know which so yes the mallett hood is 20lbs lighter.

Trev

·
21,287 Posts
Another side benefit with the MCM hood is it reduces the effect of low pressure when you get up to around 140 or so. The stock hood tends to lift and bounce around, not so with the MCM hood.

·
Registered
519 Posts
zo6for2 said:
a oem Z16 hood is $1900 at my dealers. the mcm hood
shipped was $1550
Frank
Is the oem hood better quality/fit/design than an aftermarket one? I've been shopping fender kits, and one of the things all body shops have been telling me is, nothing is going to fit just right, except stock fenders from the factory.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I was going to suggest ACP (supporting vender) but you said your not into scoops and louvers.

I get quite a few comments and its different. From the drivers seat you can't really see any difference from stock hood height:coo:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts