Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here use Carbotech Pads for Street Driving?

I was always of the school to not use "racing pads" for street driving becuase they needed to get hot in order to work correctly. I know older racing pads were really bad when cold.

Lately I have been getting irritated in the feeling difference between my street pads and the Carbotech Pads I use on the track.

I was wondering if I could use either Carbotech Pads or other high-bite ceramic padz for street use to get the feel closer to what I'm used to on the track.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi JP:

I just ordered my first set of Carbotechs vs. the Hawks I have been using. No complaints on the Hawks. I just heard so much good about Carbotech, too, I thougth I would give them a try.

I look forward to seeing you at Buttonwillow April 15th Speedventures.net. We need to see more Corvettes out there womping on the Porches, WRX's and Evos.
:usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
891 Posts
I had XP9 & XP8 pads on the car all last summer. DE & going to work. A little squeaky some times. The dust wans't any worse than the stock GM pads.

Hawk Blues on the other hand, sounded like a grinding wheel at slow speeds and put out an incredible mount of iron filings/dust on the street. $$$$$

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have used the full Carbotech race pads, XP10 front, XP9 rear, on the street many times, even in as cold a weather as 33 degrees this winter when I took my car to my wife's school for a show.

While they need to be warmed up to work to full race potential, they still work fine on the street when "cold". I can lock up my street tires on the first brake application, implying I'm limited by tire grip, not brake pad to rotor grip.

That said, recognize these are race pads. They will wear out faster than stock pads. They will make more noise than stock pads. They will dust more than stock pads (though the dust isn't corrosive and doesn't rust). :cheers:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

I'm not worried about wear, just want to make sure they will work for street. I'm very happy with the pads performance on the track.

It was just more of a feel kind of thing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh, they're going to work. Make sure you're buckled it TIGHT!!!!! Wow!!!!!!

·
Banned
809 Posts
Panther+ all around would make a fantastic high performance street pad and you could even use them on the track if you wanted. I think that the Panther+ would give you a great bridge between the stock Z06 pads and the Carbotech dedicated track pads.

I personally think that the stock pads work very well on the street, but if you're looking for something more agressive, I'd look at the Carbotech Panther+.

.02¢

Sal

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I just ran Carbotech pads at VIR last wknd, they are AWSOME, I just couldn't deal with all the CRAP the Hawk's left on my wheels and paint. I drove 6 hrs each way to the track and they were great on the street:thumb:

It's raining out today, went to drive the vette to the store and I was SHOCKED how the rain cleaned off my wheels entirely from the DE this wknd! That's how easy the brake dust from the Carbotech's came off-WAY kewl.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've run XP10s and XP9s on the street with no problems. However, I try to switch back to the NAPA ceramics when I am not going right back to the track as they have no dust to speak of and feel very good. I switch rotors, too, as the pads lay down material on the rotor when they are bedded. The Carbotech pads do dust, but as Subdriver said, the dust isn't corrosive.

·
Registered
412 Posts
blkZ06 said:
It's raining out today, went to drive the vette to the store and I was SHOCKED how the rain cleaned off my wheels entirely from the DE this wknd! That's how easy the brake dust from the Carbotech's came off-WAY kewl.
That's excellent!

If you had Hawk's on, your car would look like a toxic waste dump! I hate those things...

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
SRV said:
That's excellent!

If you had Hawk's on, your car would look like a toxic waste dump! I hate those things...
oh you know it! go out in my garage and you will see a black glob sitting there.

hopefully the Adams Kit S-TEE sent me will take care of THAT

:rofl:

·
Registered
412 Posts
blkZ06 said:
hopefully the Adams Kit S-TEE sent me will take care of THAT
What kit are you referring to?

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
SRV said:
What kit are you referring to?
Adams polish, the bucket comes with a complete detail in it-polish, wax, clay bar, detail spray, applicators, soap

break in the weather tomorrow so I am on it :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
blkZ06 said:
Adams polish, the bucket comes with a complete detail in it-polish, wax, clay bar, detail spray, applicators, soap

break in the weather tomorrow so I am on it :D
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I run XP9's and Panther plus and they work great and actually have less noise then full xp's all around. Not as good a stopping but unless you are on full race tires (hoosiers,etc..) it's fine.
Remeber on street tires the more true XP's or more racce pads will lock up more easily then the panther plus.

Overall awesome pads.
This is Larry's sweet spot of his business and they do combo street/track pads better then anyone.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Come visit us for all your Carbotech needs. Authorized Carbotech retailer , local southeast track junkie, and Z06vette sponsor at your service :cheers: We use what we sell.

See you at the track.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Redshift said:
Come visit us for all your Carbotech needs. Authorized Carbotech retailer , local southeast track junkie, and Z06vette sponsor at your service :cheers: We use what we sell.

See you at the track.
:thumb: thanks again for the pads

hope to see you both at VIR in June if you are signed up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts