Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have about 1/2 pad life left on my front XP9's from my last DE, and about 2/3 left on the rears-XP9's also.

I have some spider cracks on the front rotors, so I have ordered four new Raybestos to put on before my next DE.

Since I am new to DE's and doing my own brakes, I am not sure about something.

With new rotors, I assume I can put back on my front and rear pads and continue to use them until they are gone? since the pads have already been bedded, do I have to do something to season the new rotors with the old pads?

thanks!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I just put fresh Raybestos rotors on and used old Carbotech pads for a track time event. Worked just fine for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
jnjboc,

How many events do you have on your Corbotech pads to get down to 1/2 thickness? I have 5 hard events on my Cobalt race spec pads and have under 1/2 of the pad left. I am considering Carbotech for my next set and was wondering how the wear compairs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You'll still have to go through the process of laying down a new transfer film of the pad material to your new rotors, using the same procedure which you would bedding in the pads (getting heat into the system, transferring pad material and not coming to a complete stop and allowing uneven transfer to occur). Another thing that happens with the heat transfer into the rotors is that thermal stresses left from the manufacturing are relieved.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
tigerdrvr. thanks very much for that excellent response. I will re-bed the pads onto the new rotors.

raddad43,
I put only one event on them, but it was 3 days, and 6 hours of total track time. this is my 5th DE, 4th at Mid-Ohio, so I am getting braver. I was carrying my 135mph back straight speed DEEP into the braking zone all during those 6 hours. There are several hard braking zones at Mid-Ohio, most of them short, however.

This is the first set of Carbotech's I have used, so I have nothing to compare their wear to. I did compare them to a brand new unused set of ceramics I received today. different pad material obviously, but I imagine the amount of material is close to the same?

I actually have quite a bit more pad left than 1/2 as I originally posted. It's closer to 2/3's on the front and more like 4/5's on the back, so it's better than I thought.

My only other experience was with Hawk P+, and in my opinion, the Carbotech XP9's are FAR superior. I will continue to use Carbotech's. From following the racers here the other favorite is PFC, but those are $500 for a front and rear set. Since I'm not racing, $300 for a full set of Carbotech's is fine with me.

Oh, BTW. i just called Carbotech yesterday to order a backup set of fronts. Before I said anything Kevin there said, "let me guess, you have a Z06 and want front XP9's"....apparently the word has gotten out and they are backordered. Mine won't ship until next Wednesday.... :eek2:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
tigerdrvr said:
You'll still have to go through the process of laying down a new transfer film of the pad material to your new rotors, using the same procedure which you would bedding in the pads (getting heat into the system, transferring pad material and not coming to a complete stop and allowing uneven transfer to occur).
Well said. I do the same thing everytime I switch rotors... which is often. :cheers:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with tigerdrvr. There is a great article on this topic in this month's Grassroots Racing mag. They do a great job of explaining the physics of the transfer layer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts