Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am buying a 2001 Z06 and I am now shopping for a good car cover. I see a lot of covers for the coupes and for the convertibles, but none for the hardtop. Should I get the convertible size since it is similar to the hardtop?

Also, what are some good covers that will not scratch the paint much and will protect against door dings in parking lots?

I'm looking forward to getting my Z. I've already ordered the same stuff that I have on my Camaro: !CAGS, Ripper, knob, etc.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Beware the fixed radio antenna....

·
Registered
764 Posts
Titan,

The cover that fits the Vert is the same for the hardtop according to Ecklers. The place you purchase the cover from should confirm this. I have an "inside only" cover from Ecklers made by Premium Flannel. Great quality, and fit (very soft) but not intended for outside use. Noah is popular for outside and inside use.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi,
I'll give you a few opinions on car covers based on daily use for 20 years or so on various Porsches and now a Z06.

First, the coupe cover fits the 06 fine.
Second, the fixed antenna isn't even necessary for local radio so I just leave it off except for longer trips. I carry a little open end wrench so its an easy job.
Third, I'm not at all sure that the thick covers will really protect you against dings. What I do know from watching others is that they are so cumbersome to use and occupy so much trunk space that people rarely use them regularly. In addition, I don't think any of those bulky covers are machine washable/dryable, an important point because they need to be washed whenever the car is washed and handwashing a cover wouldn't be my idea of fun.
Fourth be sure and get a custom fit with ears for the mirrors otherwise any little breeze will transport it to the next county unless you want to tie it down every time you use it.

I use car covers for sun protection for the interior and to extend the time between washings for my black cars.

The best protection against dings is paranoid parking.

The cover I have for the 06 is a Weathershield that I got from C5performance. This is a lightweight compact cover that washes and dries in machines. Its expensive but looks to be worth it.
The only problem with it is that on a Zainoed vehicle it takes a bit of practice to figure out how to keep it from sliding off onto the ground.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have Noah covers for my cars. They do protect the cars very well against door and others dings. I have kids and they do occasionally bump bikes...into the cars. Never had a scratch. I ordered my Noah from Mid America. The coupe cover fits well. I have removed the antenna and have a little rubber cover on the threads so that they do not tear the cover. I have same situation on my SS454 truck. I just hand tighten the antenna and it usually is fine for a days worth of driving without using a wrench. I would rather do that than put a hole in the cover for the antenna. I get pretty good local radio reception without the antenna...but most of the time I just like to listen to the sweet music the car makes through the pipes. This car is AWSOME!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I dont remember where I saw it but you can buy a replacement antenna that retracts. I dont know why chevy didn't do that with the Z in the first place. When I find the site to order it I'll let you know.

RedZ

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
RedZ06Vette,
The antenna thing was wieght related, All covers mentioned are good. I only use an indoor flannel for long term storage and on and off if freq. to let paint breath, Cut a slight hole for the ant. and stitch around it. You should be happy w/any modern day cover, just remember it's not a garage........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts