Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Will Penske stay in CART next season?

• Yes, after all he is one of the founders.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, time to race full time in IRL & Indy 500.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • He will race both series again next year.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an employee of Roger Penske (Detroit Diesel Corp) am a long time Indy Race fan, I was thrilled to see Team Penske driver Gil DeFerren clinch his 2nd Championship yesterday in Australia.
After the race, Roger was interviewed and may have tipped his cards for next season. He commented about doing something else next season....I wondered if he is switching from CART to IRL series next season? As most open wheel fans know, these two groups have had their differences in recent years! :eek:

What do you think?

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I'll go first.......RP will switch to IRL! :eek:

Zip :z: :z:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I can't stand the IRL. Too much emphasis on Ovals and the talent just isn't there (team or driver). It is a series for has-been's and CART/F1 wannabes who aren't good enough.

I want road courses and I want the best tech and best drivers. Otherwise it isn't worth my time to watch.

I've been a long time CART fan, but they better get it together. F1 is really starting to get interesting again. Next season should be something else!

I was in the infield of the MIS CART race this year at the exit of turn 4. The place was empty and HOT. Nothing like hearing the cars rip through the air before you hear the engines. Awesome. Unfortunately I couldn't make the Mid-Ohio weekend.

Penske dominated this season. He's sure had some *lousy* seasons in recent years. Having sold tracks, etc, it seems like he's getting tired of the game.

Speedvision's deal with CART for broadcasting could be GREAT. I'm so tired of CART being cut short on ABC just so they can show Tiger Woods picking sod out of his shoes.

But since that deal was announced, Speedvision got in bed with NASCAR and Fox and it could end up being the 'NASCAR channel' :eek:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree I do not care for IRL either with all of the ovals seems kind of screwy since most of the people in the series come from some form of cart racing. Cart seems to be getting screwy also with all of the mess over upcoming engines. Looks like NASCAR and Formula 1 along with US Lemans series the most entertaining and competitive to watch and keep up with. Wife would tell you I'm addicted to it all.:cheers: :z:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Will CART R.I.P.???

Zippy,
There's a good chance that CART might be doomed--unfortunately...
Joe Heitzler seems to be doing his best to run CART into the ground:mad:
CART racing in '99 was just unreal--great driving, very competitive, great for the spectator, and good TV coverage & promotion. Now? a shadow of it's former self :(
IRL? roundy-round silliness IMHO
To give you an idea of IRL driver talent that I witnessed firsthand: Sam Hornish, the current IRL champion was racing in the Porsche Cup support event @ the Indy F1 race weekend. Not only was he running close to last(OK, so he might not be used to driving a production based racecar),BUT (and this is what really got me) he did not know how to heal-toe rev match:eek: I was standing @ the end of the backstraight, and watched incredulously as he was almost locking up the rear wheels while downshifting! For a driver @ this level--this is really hard to believe(maybe I can help him out w/ this:lol: )
Sorry about the rantings--I think most of CART's heavy-hitters are looking elsewhere...

George

·
Registered
568 Posts
Right - the whole engine switch! I forgot about that one.. Honda used it as an excuse to bail. I can't imagine Toyota is very happy given that they've finally developed a strong engine under the current formula.

I imagine the new engine formula has something to do with unifying CART and IRL?

Given the cost for everyone to develop new engines, that is asking a LOT.

The F1 teams have expressed concern that their sponsor money is waning due to the worldwide economic downturn. Given that CART will feel that pinch too, it seems a *really* bad time to ask everyone to spend big to design new engines. And since you're changing the engine, you have to change the cars too..

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
(Maybe doing something else) involves a complete move to NASCAR. Chip Kannasi has become involved in NASCAR as well.

Pat :)

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you guys ever looked at Seventhgear.com forum? I post on there occassionally...it is a forum for CART fans.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brian:

I'm puzzled here...:-?

I wish I knew more about computers/liniking/cut and paste, etc.

Try www.Seventhgear.com using a capital S.

·
Registered
93 Posts
[Thumbs down]Penske to IRL[/Thumbs down]

I have a gut feeling that Marlboro is the main impetus for Penske switching to the Dim Side. They threw down the cash and said "We're going to Indy, you can come with us or not"

Penske went along like a puppy on a leash.

Seventhgear is a good sight. Don't get to follow it much, I devote most of my net time to corvettes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts