Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had MTI install the Cartek line lock today. I'm going to be running MT ET radials to start out. My question is...should I do the burnout in first or second gear and why? I've heard people say to do it both ways and I'm a little curious as to the advantage of doing the burnout in second gear. Also...how much heat do I really need to put in the tires to hook with a 5K launch? I don't think I'll be doing a side step but, a short slip. Any comments are welcome.

TIA,

Case

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT Come on...I know someone has some info for me.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I do em in 1st case, 5 -7 sec to clean the tires off.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Honestly Casey......I don't even use mine anymore!! With the new power.......it's not necessary. But when I did......do it in first. spin to 5500 ansd hold till ya see smoke for 3-4 seconds then release lock......wait for the part where the tires chirp hard and then you're neck practically snaps, then proceed to the line.:D

For the 5k launch....i'd heat the piss out of them(as I described) and I slip the clutch pretty good. within 10 feet of movement, I'm fully engaged. I launched at 5500 the first time out on my new setup and at 6400-6700 the other 7 passes and dead hooked practically all of them......the car bogged and then just went!! (1.59 60' new best)

I'll figure this clutch out if it kills me.

Oh....FWIW......we are in the same league power wise.:D

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
My understanding of the 2nd gear burn is that you heat the tires just as well or better but you have less strain on the valve train cuz you aren't as likely to bounce off the limiter??

Ken

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Kens06 said:
My understanding of the 2nd gear burn is that you heat the tires just as well or better but you have less strain on the valve train cuz you aren't as likely to bounce off the limiter??

Ken

So don't bounce!!:D

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
holedgr said:
Honestly Casey......I don't even use mine anymore!! With the new power.......it's not necessary. But when I did......do it in first. spin to 5500 ansd hold till ya see smoke for 3-4 seconds then release lock......wait for the part where the tires chirp hard and then you're neck practically snaps, then proceed to the line.:D

For the 5k launch....i'd heat the piss out of them(as I described) and I slip the clutch pretty good. within 10 feet of movement, I'm fully engaged. I launched at 5500 the first time out on my new setup and at 6400-6700 the other 7 passes and dead hooked practically all of them......the car bogged and then just went!! (1.59 60' new best)

I'll figure this clutch out if it kills me.

Oh....FWIW......we are in the same league power wise.:D
Thanks Tony! I'll be talking to you more at the Fest. That's a great '60! :jammin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts