Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short.bought penske shocks from mallet.brought them to cartek in jersey for the install.4 months later,rear shocks are toast.called mallet up and spoke with chuck and he said he sold 4000 sets and never had one come back.well a friend and myself took the rear penske's out today and lo and behold,the shock's were installed totally incorrectly.the instructions included with the penske's were very clear and specific about how to install correctly.it was also very clearly stated that if the installation procedure was not followed,the shock's will fail.chuck mallet told me that the hardware included in the kit was designed to work as a kit.well none of the hardware from mallet was used.mind you,none of the procedures or hardware was complicated or labor intensive.all that had to be done with the installation was follow the directions.obviously,cartek thought they knew a better way.guess they were wrong.cartek's lack of attention to detail has now caused me(the customer) alot of headaches,ie calls to mallet,calls to penske,removal of toasted penske's,re-istallation of '04 shocks,mailing shock's back to penske,waiting for mallet to ship me the correct mounting hardware(cartek discarded the original,correct billet mounting plates),re-installation of rebuilt penske's etc.all of this could have been avoided if the so called tech who did the install would have taken two minutes to go over the intructions included with the penske's.to say i'm pissed is an understatement.i will now take my business elsewhere and advise all on the site to do the same.if they're capable of botching a simple rear shock install i could only imagine what could happen if some major work was done.east coast supercharging has earned my trust as a credible shop who cares about their work(and reputation) and takes the time to get the job done correctly.nuff said!!!!! :z:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Did you even bother contacting cartek? If not then i suggest you do that before bashing them online for what could be a honest mistake or for all we know no mistake of their own. Sorry, i just feel you didnt try resolving the matter with them directly first.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
failure to follow specific instructions from a manufacturer is not an honest mistake when i'm being charged 80 dollars an hour for labor.when i drop my 50 thousand dollar car off to have a modification done to it, i "trust" that all procedures will be done as per directions and done correctly not rushed thru and botched.as for bashing,expressing my extreme dipleasure at shoddy work being done really isnt bashing.i'm sure if a local tuner scewed up your car because they didnt take the time out(2 min.'s) to read directions,i'm sure you'd be a little pissed off too.but it aint you,so you can sit back and and feel comfortable dispensing your coulda,shoulda,woulda advice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lemme ask you something,you being in texas,how do you "feel" i didnt talk with cartek to resolve the problem.were you sitting next to me when i called dave busch today?obviously your reading comprehension level isnt too high because as the thread stated the damper failure was caused by improper installation.i'm not asking to much for a well known tuner to get the job done correctly especially on a job that involves 3 bolts per side.as for bashing,simply stating that a tuner screwed my car up because of their lack of attention to detail isnt bashing.it's stating a fact.like it or not,that's the way it is.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Lee,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Did you consider that the reason they might not have followed the instructions was that they misplaced them? Check your radiator. :roll: j/k

Don

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have heard alot of negitive lately about carcrap thats what I call them there a bunch of wannabes they think there shit doesnt stink. Sorry to here your one of many who have been duped buy these buttheads :mah: :mah:

Marshall

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just curious what did cartek do, if anything, to correct the problem?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Thats the world of aftermarket, you have to babysit the people that work on your car and babysit your car at all the times...

Any shop you have to watch out, I spoke to Cartek and they seem nice, but East Coast Supercharging as the better price and the same if not more experience so I'll be taking my work to them as of right now :thumb: But I'll give Cartek a better chance if they meet East Coast Supercharging's tuning and installation prices :D

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I hope it all works out for you. Hope you called Cartek to see if they could help you out and give them a chance to tell their side of this story.

I've never used them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
In this matter you should have contacted Cartek and as a bussiness they should have replaced the shocks at no cost ofcourse, but I dont know if they were giving a chance to respond on that, did you let them know?

my experiece with Heffners Performance was extensive and I gave him all the chances he had to fix his mistakes, it would of cost him almost nothing, the way he went out its costing him alot of money plus a good reputation, Im sure Cartek is diffrent, give them a call would you!

luis

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
I HATE INCOMPETENCE!!! :mah: :mah:

When you are paying a so called "PROFESSIONAL" to do the work, he better do it right or all hell will break loose. :roll:

This is one of the reasons I do not like many people.

And trust even less.

I WOULD MAKE CARTEK PAY FOR DAMAGED GOODS!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bigg Lee said:
east coast supercharging has earned my trust as a credible shop who cares about their work(and reputation) and takes the time to get the job done correctly.nuff said!!!!! :z:
Lemme me tell you about eastcoast and instructions. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wait mebbe I shouldn't and be the bigger man. You could learn somthin here. Cost me $12,000 :yeadog: :yeadog:

I guess your hit in the wallet hurt more than mine did. Good luck with that other tuner, mebbe you will be luckier than me :jawdrop:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I don't think it is unfair to expect an expert to follow the manufacturers instructions or pay the bill to repair the consequence damages. I am watching to see how this turns out!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I hope you gave them constructive notice in writing

and an opportunity to fix the probem. Followed by a demand letter, if it did not come to your mutual satisfation. This is the law here in this state(not sure if it is Federal Procedure/NJ's Civil Procedure), but California is considered a President State)

Otherwise, you have liability here bashing them on the internet. Recent federal law. :NoNo:

As for Chuck Mallet selling 6M worth of Penske shocks. Hmm...

I personally think that you will find that Julio and Dave are, "old school," in character. Also, in the last four years, I have seen "maybe," one semi-upset customer. Otherwise, everyone has been completely happy with their service.

I would do the above if I were you. I am, in no way, passing judgement on your situation, either way.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Bigg Lee said:
lemme ask you something,you being in texas,how do you "feel" i didnt talk with cartek to resolve the problem.were you sitting next to me when i called dave busch today?obviously your reading comprehension level isnt too high because as the thread stated the damper failure was caused by improper installation.i'm not asking to much for a well known tuner to get the job done correctly especially on a job that involves 3 bolts per side.as for bashing,simply stating that a tuner screwed my car up because of their lack of attention to detail isnt bashing.it's stating a fact.like it or not,that's the way it is.

I 'feel' that you didnt talk with cartek because you never mentioned any contact with them AFTER you ASSUMED its their fault. Chuck from Mallet is not god, all mechanics blame each other for other mistakes. I am not saying that cartek could not have made a mistake, but what makes you think that when you take your car to a shop(no matter which one) that their work will be flawless? I have never seen ANYONE in life work with 100% accuracy. Even Nasa makes mistake, so who are cartek to be right all the time.

Answer this question: Did you call cartek affter the incident? Did you give them a chance to make them up?

My guess is not but i would like to hear the answer from you becuase i do not want to assume things since im living in 'texas'.

As far as my reading comprehension, umm...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I also did not read anything that would lead me to assume yu had contact with Cartek after the incident. They will make it right, call them. They should at no cost to you. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Like others have said, you should have contacted Cartek first. :bang:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Bigg Lee said:
long story short.bought penske shocks from mallet.brought them to cartek in jersey for the install.4 months later,rear shocks are toast.called mallet up and spoke with chuck and he said he sold 4000 sets and never had one come back.well a friend and myself took the rear penske's out today and lo and behold,the shock's were installed totally incorrectly.the instructions included with the penske's were very clear and specific about how to install correctly.it was also very clearly stated that if the installation procedure was not followed,the shock's will fail.chuck mallet told me that the hardware included in the kit was designed to work as a kit.well none of the hardware from mallet was used.mind you,none of the procedures or hardware was complicated or labor intensive.all that had to be done with the installation was follow the directions.obviously,cartek thought they knew a better way.guess they were wrong.cartek's lack of attention to detail has now caused me(the customer) alot of headaches,ie calls to mallet,calls to penske,removal of toasted penske's,re-istallation of '04 shocks,mailing shock's back to penske,waiting for mallet to ship me the correct mounting hardware(cartek discarded the original,correct billet mounting plates),re-installation of rebuilt penske's etc.all of this could have been avoided if the so called tech who did the install would have taken two minutes to go over the intructions included with the penske's.to say i'm pissed is an understatement.i will now take my business elsewhere and advise all on the site to do the same.if they're capable of botching a simple rear shock install i could only imagine what could happen if some major work was done.east coast supercharging has earned my trust as a credible shop who cares about their work(and reputation) and takes the time to get the job done correctly.nuff said!!!!! :z:
there is always two sides to the story ?but knowing Dave pretty well i would ave to say you did not give him a chance to fix the problem because i am sure he would have i ave seen him bend over back wards to please a customer and sometimes there is no pleasing some which sounds like you and if your intent is to bash cartek why bring others into it. if you trust ecs then maybe you should have went there from the get go :eek2: and there are plenty of cars around with major cartek work that are just fine :jammin:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
70boss302 said:
I don't think it is unfair to expect an expert to follow the manufacturers instructions or pay the bill to repair the consequence damages. I am watching to see how this turns out!
===============
I agree with the Boss above. AND, as the point has been made it should always be the first step in resolving a problem to contact the company/person doing the initial work to see if they will take responsibility for the error.

I too, am watching to see how this turns out. :NoNo: :thumb:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.