Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.....Whats the main difference in the 01 and 02 wheels? How are forged made vs. cast spun?? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif Which are better?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I saw an interview somewhere.....

Arguments abound, but cast is slightly lighter and just a hair weaker than forged (not that it matters as the cast can take the same punishment as the forged I would assume). Most of all, and this is the no. 1 reason you see them now, is that they are FAR easier to make, hence no more wheel shortages we saw last year.

JC

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you remove the 2002 wheels you will see the spin casting lines on the back side. The front part of the wheels look identical. We removed mine to do a high speed balance and to remove the weights from the outside of the rim before they left any marks.

Kudos to Jeff, a great wrencher at Classic and Performance in Delta, BC Canada for removing the weights without putting a mark on any wheel.

Four out of four !! Way to go Jeff !!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Is there any disadvantage to getting the stock wheels chromed? I've purchased core exchanged wheels in the past and they only lasted about 3 years before they started to pit and chip.

Would I be better off keeping the stock wheels for track and getting BRE or other aftermarket wheels. I'd like to keep the set under $2K. any suggestions?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Who is the part vendor for the 2002 wheels? Same or different than 2001?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I was told that the wheel manufacturer for the '02s is Speedline when I was a BG for my delivery - also read that somewhere...

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
BLUEBYU is correct. They are made by Seedline in Italy. The same makers of the now discontinued Magnesum optioned C5 wheels. I do not know who made wheels for the '01's, however the '01 Z06 production shortage and delays were attributed to the old wheel supplier. FUBU69/LES:)

·
Registered
561 Posts
The bottom line for all useful purposes is that the 2002 wheels weigh 4 ounces less per wheel installed which adds up to a whopping 1 pound on all four wheels. The disadvantage to this is that they are not as strong, but this will never be an issue, i promise. Chroming a wheel adds a descent amount of weight. Idon't know for sure, but I believe it is over 1 pound per wheel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
thx FUBU69/Les & BLUEBYU for the Speedline facts. Anyone know what factory/vendor stampings, numbers, etc one should see on the 2002 wheel to make sure it is not a 2001 wheel.

Reason for anal paranoia: managed to put a 3" scrape/gouge along the outer edge of right/rear (a freakin' curb bit me!) :mad:

So, I order a replacement. Parts guy says GM part number 9593806 is the same for 2001 & 2002, but, not to worry, GM picks based on VIN as a cross check to wrong PN's from parts guys. Okeedokee. Parts guy reads from new wheel: "F053001, 18 X 10.5, J58, USA, RGG138, H060801A". The "Fnn" & "Hnn" look kinda sorta like dates & if they are dates, they would feel OK like they were for the 2002. Parts guy said he didn't see a vendor name anywhere.

I'll check old to new during replacement just to be sure there is a match, of course, but, are there identifying marks?. I thought someone said in an earlier post that the spin casting process leaves ridges or lines somewhere inside the wheel??? & the word "Speedline" is embossed somewhere also??

Just want to make sure supply chain gives me right wheel.

Thanks folks..

ATV

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
BLEUBYU said:
I was told that the wheel manufacturer for the '02s is Speedline when I was a BG for my delivery - also read that somewhere...
Speedline did the cast wheels for 2000 and 2001. The forged wheels were Alcoa.

·
Registered
223 Posts
well, took a trip to the dealer to get the RR '02 wheel swapped, & found that the "replacement" was was NOT a Speedline...parts mgr phoned GM...GM said it was in the process of updating part number..though they sent the right one...yadda yadda yadda...mebbe few more weeks they can get it right...so beware folks..Speedlines bear distinctive markings inside the wheel. "Speedline" & "Made in Italy" are deeply cast into the metal...not so in the "replacement" wheel I saw. Replacement wheel's identifying marks were die stamped into the metal, absent the words "Speedline" & "Made in Italy". Not a total loss of time...got the break in oil change done & left without swapping the wheel.....waiting on a Speedline......ATV

·
Registered
631 Posts
Those are the forged wheels from the 01 run - in your post above you also mentioned they were made in USA - that should have been your tip off. I went into greater detail on the other forum about the 02 wheels, however you now know the differences.

The wait for the 02 wheel will be longer than you expect by the way. Could be 30 days or more.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Zapper - u r right about the wait...GM is sending everything to BG for now...dealer can't get a confirmation yet.."call back in two weeks"...thx...ATV

·
Registered
0 Posts
SteveYelloZ06 said:
Chroming a wheel adds a descent amount of weight. Idon't know for sure, but I believe it is over 1 pound per wheel.
I asked Corvette Mike and he said it added about 2 1/2 lbs total for all 4 wheels.

Here's the info for 2001 wheels:

Stock Front Z06 wheels.......19.65 lbs./ea
Chromed Front Z06 wheels.....20.4 lbs./ea

Stock Rear Z06 wheels........21.4 lbs./ea
Chromed Rear Z06 wheels......22.1 lbs./ea

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi Frank

We all know that is an insignificant amount of weight for 99% of the users. We gain that amount of weight after a hamburger and a soda.

What I need to do is learn how to drive really well, and lose about 60 of my own pounds.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Anybody hear of Performance Wheel Outlet in San Bernardino, CA? They sell 17 and 18" five spoke 2000 C5 wheels, chromed, polished or painted at seemingly reasonable prices (compared to GM). How good is the quality and are their wheels "refurbs" or factory fresh? :-?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts