Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have LG long tube headers, Random cats and a 3" X pipe going into the stock cat back 2.5" ti muffler tail pipe unit.

Is this restricting HP? Would it be better to go into a 3" muffler tail pipe system? Who makes a 3" system? I want Stingers but they are 2.5" pipes.

thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
It would make very little difference in horsepower and add quite a bit of weight.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Well - when I orginally switched my stock Ti's for Borla XR's - the RWHP stayed the same but the torque dropped dropped.

However, they sure sound sweet :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I actually plan to do the same setup you have with LG LTs and the stock cat back. Did you notice a noise increase after you installed the header?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
About the only "muffler" system that has shown to increase power over the stock ti, is the Corsa Ti Competition. It's also lighter. It's also very loud and raspy, (and very $$$) but that appeals to many. Every other system is heavier, with the exception of a couple of straight pipe types.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
zo6racerx said:
I currently have LG long tube headers, Random cats and a 3" X pipe going into the stock cat back 2.5" ti muffler tail pipe unit.

Is this restricting HP? Would it be better to go into a 3" muffler tail pipe system? Who makes a 3" system? I want Stingers but they are 2.5" pipes.

thanks
I have the LG's and Stingers. It sounds great, but you really do not get any improvement. However, that is because the stock Ti system is pretty good. The only people I know who have added 3"' mufflers, have big block systems with larger headers. On a stock motor I don't think you could gain enough (if any) to justify the cost.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hitman1 said:
I actually plan to do the same setup you have with LG LTs and the stock cat back. Did you notice a noise increase after you installed the header?

The car is stock like quiet at low RPMs. When you get on hard, it sounds good! I would like a little more sound. I think I may go with the Borla Stingers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As the exhuast cools it shrinks so you do not need as much pipe volume. I personally have a B&B bullet system and the car is really loud with a nice deep sound.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
You need some restriction in the exhaust to help with scavenging.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
zo6racerx said:
The car is stock like quiet at low RPMs. When you get on hard, it sounds good! I would like a little more sound. I think I may go with the Borla Stingers.
I couldn't deal with the resonating I experienced with the Stingers, so I held off on messing with my exhaust -- until I found a guy selling the Corsa Ti system at a great price. Now I have a better sound, more volume, and the same lightweight exhaust (and no resonance). I love it.

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Most of the aftermarket exhaust out there is 2.5", you will pick up a (very) little if you were 3" all the way back, not worth worrying about unless you are running a big blower motor or something. Buy the exhaust for sound, not power ..

Les

zo6racerx said:

thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have LG Headers with the stock TI mufflers and the combination sounds great. The stick TIs are a great flowing muffler.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts