1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
It will be much louder and will get more popping on decel. :z:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm all for performance and horsepower...but taking the Cats off in my mind means a hell of a lot more pollution belching into the atmosphere for little gain in HP.

Don't get me wrong...I'm no tree hugger. I do own a car that gets 14 mpg when pushed hard. But we've all got to live on this planet and taking pollution controls off...there is a voice in my head that would just not allow me to do it.

Just my 2 cents...flame suit on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It'll be loud. I have LG's and Stingers without cats, and now I have a set of Random techs waiting to be installed. I LOVE the way it sounds but it really shakes the neighborhood.

There is the pollution thing, but if you really wanted to do something about pollution you'd pollution control big rigs and airplanes...but no that would cost too much.

I would gladly pay more for products and airfare in exchange cleaner air sadly at this time that is not a priority. Not having cats on a few sports cars in the world is not going to really make difference. But I do agree that cars should have cats on them in general.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Agree with WICKED. Have the Kook's LT headers, no cats, and the Borla 4-tips.

I don't dare start it up first thing in the morning to take to work, or the neighbors have a fit. I also can't sneak home after a late night.

Steve

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was in this same situation about 4 weeks ago when I added ported heads to my car. The tuner really wanted me to remove the cats I was using (magnaflow high flow cats) as he stated he could dial the tune in much more effeciently and run a bit more timing. I at first balked, saying I didn't want it to be too loud, especially with the fact I have quad tip borla stingers. So he finished up the tune and it pulled 447/396 SAE.

Well, one week later I decided to go ahead and remove the cats. The shop cut the cats out and replaced that section with some 3" bullet "mufflers". It's a stretch to call them mufflers; they're actually about 10" long and 3" in diameter and have a straight through design with convex dimples on the inside. The shop fabbed it up with brackets so I can replace the cats if I choose later.

To make a long story short, the car is barely louder than before with the high flow cats. It's only truly noticable under WOT then it really projects some sound. But, the tuner did get back over to the dyno and he was able to safely tune the car to 455/405 SAE. The before/after dyno overlays really show the increases, especially in TQ in the mid range. 8-10 foot lbs across the band. The car is just awesome on the street.

When it comes time for inspection next year, I'll slip the cats back on and get him to retune it. I don't anticipate any problems. :z:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts