Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which are better on the 01's? The cats from the 02's or after market high-flows? Has anyone tried the after markets on their '01 and did it make a difference? I would assume that you would lose the low end tq and pick it up in the higher RPM levels?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am unaware of any difference between the 01' and 02' cats. I have had experience changing the cats on other cars though and found that going from one cat to another makes little or no difference, even if it is a high performance cat. Unless obviously you are switching to a larger diameter pipe with larger diameter cats. I had a trans am in which I first switched to a high performance PFP cat and I noticed absolutely no difference. I then hollowed out the original cat and put it back on, in place of the aftermarket one. I noticed an immediate difference. This mod also dropped my 1/8 mile times by over 1 tenth. The moral of my story is, it's either cats or no cats, there is no difference in between.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

On 2001-08-02 09:43, SteveYelloZ06 spewed forth this drivel:
I am unaware of any difference between the 01' and 02' cats. I have had experience changing the cats on other cars though and found that going from one cat to another makes little or no difference, even if it is a high performance cat. Unless obviously you are switching to a larger diameter pipe with larger diameter cats. I had a trans am in which I first switched to a high performance PFP cat and I noticed absolutely no difference. I then hollowed out the original cat and put it back on, in place of the aftermarket one. I noticed an immediate difference. This mod also dropped my 1/8 mile times by over 1 tenth. The moral of my story is, it's either cats or no cats, there is no difference in between.
Thanks a lot Steve /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif But as far as I was aware, they made changes to actually make the 02's less restrictive?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Just get a off road X-pipe, that's what I did. Add a set of headers and some PRT's and you can wake up the neighbors! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
P.S. I don't notice any loss of low end torque, but man you can feel it on the top end! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts