Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CCW owners come on in.

Ive had my CCWs on my car for about a month now, this is on my daily driver Z, and they are due for a good cleaning. I first bought some Mothers Aluminum Polish, didn't work as well as I had hoped. Went back and got the Mothers Billet Polish, works excellent! The only thing is that you have to rub VERY hard for it to work, it took about 45 minutes to an hour to get a good 6 inches of the lip of my wheel as clean as i would like it. Here are a few pictures:

So, since this was taking FOREVER, i went and bought a Mothers Power Ball...and it sucks. So, is there something I'm missing? Am I using the power ball wrong? Someone please help because its going to take me forever at this rate. Thanks!

Daniel

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Combine your Mothers Billet with a good high speed drill and buffing wheel. I use a Makita and some buffing wheels from a local shop here.....smear a little bit of polish on and work in gently over the surface. I usually do about 6" at a time on my iForged wheels. Better shine than brand new!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EFI-1 said:
Combine your Mothers Billet with a good high speed drill and buffing wheel. I use a Makita and some buffing wheels from a local shop here.....smear a little bit of polish on and work in gently over the surface. I usually do about 6" at a time on my iForged wheels. Better shine than brand new!
Hey Dave,
this is Daniel (bluestreak98) from ls1tech, I spoke with you a few times before when i had my camaro and you still had yours, anyway, what sort of buffing wheels are you talking about? Something other than the Powerball im guessing, but any specific brand? My drill is a little old, it might be that its just not fast enough. Ill see if i can borrow someones high speed drill.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Sup man, how is that killer SS? Still got the Fikse's?
[edit] Noticed you sold it...bummer!

Anyway, the buffing wheels.....check out Sears. They sell a set of wheels for use with a drill. It's basically a cloth disc. Use medium speed on the drill and go to work. If you start to melt the polish to the aluminum, you're either using too much polish or too much speed, as the heat will muck it up.

You only need to use a finger tip of polish and take your time. Do all the flat surfaces of the lip first and then the adge where the bead to teh tire is. Don't go back and forth from the flat portion of the lip to the side of the lip, it will cause hard to remove scratches. Also take special care not to touch the forward center portion of the buffing wheel to the wheel surface as that will cause catastrophic damage.....just go slow. ;)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
yeah i need to polish my ccw's also. So mothers billet is what to go by?
Going to do by hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On all my show trucks (have had LOTS of billet wheels), I've used Mothers. An old trick to take off the polish residue from the wheel, is to use a towel with flour (yes the kind you use to bake a cake). I have a bag and some cheese cloth filled with flour that I take to every car show. :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Try simichrome, it blows Mothers Billet away. Oh, and alot of elbow grease. If you get sick of them let me know, I would love a set of 505's for my Z06.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
mini said:
On all my show trucks (have had LOTS of billet wheels), I've used Mothers. An old trick to take off the polish residue from the wheel, is to use a towel with flour (yes the kind you use to bake a cake). I have a bag and some cheese cloth filled with flour that I take to every car show. :D
INNNNNTeresting tip..... :cheers:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
mini said:
Corn Starch is another product you can use to do the same thing. Works great. Old timers used corn starch after polishing paint to remove swirl marks.

May be a lot of car guys scoping out the baking section at the store.

D.J.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wheel Polish

I've been using Mother's polish for years, and had been very satisfied until I got the CCW's. It takes hours to polish with the Mothers. I went to the local NAPA store looking for something better, and found some 3M Aluminum polish. This is a little pricey being NAPA and 3M, but there was a significant difference in performance. The 3M polish can cut through tough water stains with ease. Now it takes 15 - 30 minutes per wheel. I have not yet tried it with the power ball, but I would think this would be a formidable combination. This stuff works so well I am suprised there is not a money back guarantee. If you look around at the body shops etc. there is a plethora of 3M buffing and polishing product around. 3M is the way to go. ;)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Most commercially available polishes are not abrasive enough to get out all of the imperfections in aluminum. Before the wheels are polished at the factory, a polishing rouge is used. It comes in a stick and looks like a giant crayon and needs to be applied with a buffing wheel...I wouldnt recommend it for a novice.

A trick that I use after using Mothers is to use a good cleaner-wax. It removes some of the inherent haziness and adds protection as well. The best I've found is Nu Finish.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Z16South said:
I've been using Mother's polish for years, and had been very satisfied until I got the CCW's. It takes hours to polish with the Mothers. I went to the local NAPA store looking for something better, and found some 3M Aluminum polish. This is a little pricey being NAPA and 3M, but there was a significant difference in performance. The 3M polish can cut through tough water stains with ease. Now it takes 15 - 30 minutes per wheel. I have not yet tried it with the power ball, but I would think this would be a formidable combination. This stuff works so well I am suprised there is not a money back guarantee. If you look around at the body shops etc. there is a plethora of 3M buffing and polishing product around. 3M is the way to go. ;)
I have to agree with this. 6061 T6 aluminum is normally a very soft aluminum and easily polished. After forging however, it becomes hard and difficult to polish. The more abrasive the polish...the nicer the finish. 3M polish is almost as abrasive as polishing rouge.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I found a new product, at least to me, a few weeks ago and didn't try it until last week end. I have chrome Z06 re-pro wheels on my car that I use for daily driving, (they are junk) but they look good when shined up. They are a real PITA to polish as they collect hard water spots and other contaminates. This "new" metal polish is called Bluemagic. This is the best product I have ever used on chrome, aluminum and stainless. My wheels cleaned up with hardly any effort at all and now they look better than new. Easy hand application and removal. I found it at Advanced Auto Parts. Super stuff.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
I found a new product, at least to me, a few weeks ago and didn't try it until last week end. I have chrome Z06 re-pro wheels on my car that I use for daily driving, (they are junk) but they look good when shined up. They are a real PITA to polish as they collect hard water spots and other contaminates. This "new" metal polish is called Bluemagic. This is the best product I have ever used on chrome, aluminum and stainless. My wheels cleaned up with hardly any effort at all and now they look better than new. Easy hand application and removal. I found it at Advanced Auto Parts. Super stuff.D.J.
I had a tub of blue magic and I didn't feel it was as abrasive as the mothers. I had to throw it out because the paste eventually turned into a liquid after sitting in my garage for a few weeks. The oil and other chemicals separate in a relatively short period of time. Of course I could have had a bad batch I suppose.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
VettTheRipper said:
I had a tub of blue magic and I didn't feel it was as abrasive as the mothers. I had to throw it out because the paste eventually turned into a liquid after sitting in my garage for a few weeks. The oil and other chemicals separate in a relatively short period of time. Of course I could have had a bad batch I suppose.
I couldn't feel any grit at all. I guess that's not what I was looking for. I do know that it worked great on everything I tried it on. It must be some kind of chemical reaction. I must have parked next to a sprinkler system because my wheels were covered with deposits. This stuff took it right off. I have billet wheels on a street rod that I have and the stuff shined them up like new. I looked all over the plastic jar this stuff came in and didn't see any expiration date. It does sound like you may have picked up some that was very old or had some kind of environmental issues, freezing or over heated. I do know it was one of the most expensive polishing products they had on the shelf and if it was bad or didn't work I would have taken it back.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I tired the Blue magic stuff and it was decent. Some water spots were still their.

Should I try the 3m stuff? I just dont want anything to abrasive where it can damage the wheels!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have tried various and have settled on Adams Metal Polish #2 then I finish with Buschs Aluminum Wheel Wax & Sealant,this gives me a good base shine then protection against water spoting. Adams #2 is nonabrasive and does not require a lot of effort.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts