Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry to enter this thread now, but I just took delivery of my 2002 Z06 and came across the 1876 thread regarding the installation of a factory 12-Disc CD Changer. Everything appears to be straight forward, is this all I need:

GM P/N 12495746 12-Disc CD Changer
GM P/N 12496743 Installation Kit
GM P/N 12345726 Epoxy

I have been to the GMPartsDirect site for prices, who is Ken Fitchner and does he sell GM parts?

Is the elusive three-way male connector the "Accessory Power Plug" as noted in the Owner's Manual? Is the four-way male connector wrapped in the wiring harness? The Helm GM Service manual as a reference is not available for the 2002 Corvette yet.

Sorry again for starting up a thread that is finished.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ordered today the cd changer and install kit with the below part numbers through gmpartsdirect

GM P/N 12495746 12-Disc CD Changer
GM P/N 12497876 Installation Kit

Ken fichtner is a supporting vendor of the CF. His dealership is up in Montana. He offers pretty good discounts on parts but i found that the above stuff was cheaper through gmpartsdirect. gmpartsdirect may charge an arm and a leg for shipping but it appears they sell the parts at cost, so i saved about 60.00 going through them regardless of the high ass shipping costs. and yeah ive tried ordering the service manual as well but apparently its not out yet, but ive talked with others that have installed the cd changer in 2002 Z06's and they say both plugs are there in the passenger footwell. the 3 prong plug from what ive been told you may have to pull the right passenger kickboard panel off to get to that one.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for your response. I will place my order after the holidays. As I stated earlier, I think the 3-way wire is the "Accessory Power Plug" mentioned on page 6-68 of the '02 Owner's Manual. This should be easy to find, providing I am correct? The 4-way wire may be bundled inside the wiring harness. You should be able to feel it. Cutting, rewiring, or splicing as mentioned in CF is not an option for me as I believe the 3 and 4-wire connectors are in place, but I won't know until I start the installation myself. The Service manual would help. Are you going to use the epoxy as shown in Figure 4, Page 2-4 of in the instructions posted on this thread? Please keep me updated regarding your installation as I will be doing it soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well like i mentioned before about the wiring, from what ive recently been told our cars have both plugs to hook the cd changer directly up, which is great, the other couple of guys that had to cut and splice that 3 wire plug they actually didnt have it in their cars so they were left with little choice, i think they had 98 and 99 models. I wont be using that epoxy. I think that epoxy is used due to the changer being mounted sideways in that back center trunk well area. I will be mounting mine just behind the passenger seat, aft of that ridge with the opening facing the drivers side, that way i can access it while driving if need be instead of having to pull over and pop the trunk, that seems like nothing but a hassle, plus if i put things back there like luggage or whatever else i dont want it hitting or resting on the changer that could potentially damage it. And being mounted on its flat bottom surface i think it will be much more stable and that epoxy wont really be needed. Plus i think a major reason for using that epoxy is because the instructions stating that the bracket is to be hardmounted using rivets, if you mounted it exactly as stated by those instructions those rivets would probably come loose over time from vibrations if the epoxy wasnt used. Since i will be mounting it on a flat surface where i mentioned earlier, i will probably use some wood screws to secure it down to the floor. Once i get everything in the mail and take a closer look at it and the floor surface behind the passenger seat i will determine if some epoxy is needed, maybe for a little extra security. I can get some strong 5 minute epoxy from work anyway so no need to pay for it. I doubt the whole installation will take anymore than a couple hours. But once i get everything and install it i will write back and let you know how everything went and see if i can also get some pics for you if you would like.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks again for your reply. I hadn't thought about placing it behind the seat. Anyway, as long as the connectors are in place, the rest of the installation will be easy. BTW, just turned 100 miles on my TR Z06! Please keep me up to date on your installation as I'll be doing it soon. Thanks again.

P. S. Drive your Z06 to Vegas sometime. I work at the Nevada Test Site near Area 51, but will take time off. :) :) :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok, well I installed the CD changer. I pulled up the passengers footwell carpet and panel along with the right kickpanel. You will probably have to remove the small little hinge panel first which is above the kick panel. Both of the plugs that you will need for the harness are lying in the lower right corner of the passenger footwell. The 3 wire plug has a little piece of white tape on it, the other plug is pretty close to it but its secured to the frame with one of those plasticbarbed push plugs. After connecting the harness to those plugs i ran it under the door trim and up the vertical panel behind the passengers seat to just on the other side of the ridge. I left most of the slack bundled up behind the passenger seat under the carpet. There are 3 brackets that come with the install kit, two small side plates and one large base plate. On one side of the base plate there is a 90 degree edge on it made for normally hanging it on the edge and securing it to the rear center well area in the trunk. Well since i wanted to place it behind that ridge on the passengers side i cut that 90 degree portion of the base plate off so it would lay flat. Then i pulled the carpet back, which was kind of a pain, then placed the plate down to where i would like it, and drilled the holes. Two of the holes that were diagonally from each other went through fine, but the other two did not, there was something underneath so i didnt drill any further. I used some strong rubber sealant, with the 2 rivets that did go through and allowed it to dry. It was solid as a rock. Then i pulled the carpet back over the base plate and cut holes for the studs to poke through. then i placed the cd changer with the 2 small side plates on the base plate and installed the nuts. then hooked up the main plug int he back of the changer. I went and turned on the stereo and it worked great. Now while driving i can easily access the changer since it sits behind the passenger seat ridge and facing the drivers side.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You are exactly right. I installed my CD changer this morning, but could not find the 3 wire connector as I thought it was the Accessory Power Plug as I previously stated. It is not and and it didn't take me long to find out! Went inside, logged on to Z06vette.com and read your recent reply, you must have just posted it. Back outside, took the kick panel off again, and looked 180 degrees in the opposite lower corner from the Accessory Power Plug. I pulled the upper right corner of the carpet back and there is was, just a few inches from the 4 wire connector. When I saw the white tape, I knew I had it. I was able to route the harness under the molding without removal and now all works fine thanks to you. The next time you come to Las Vegas the dinner is on me, just send me a private message. This should bring the CD installation thread to a closure. Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
GREAT. It looks like everything worked out just fine for the both of us with this installation and I will definitely take you up on the dinner, that would be alot of fun. Ive been meaning to go to Vegas now this just gives me another reason to do it. Im in the process of buying a house at the moment and actually i should be closing on it today, then i get the pleasure of starting the "ole fun moving process" so if youre ever in the houston area, give me a shout as well. Where did you mount your changer??

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everything is working fine, thanks to you. I mounted my changer in the center stowage compartment as per instructions, but may move it later. The two lower rivets went in with no problem, the two upper rivets did not. There was something solid behind the fiberglass, possibly a support of some kind. Guess I could have drilled through it, but decided to shorten the rivets instead. I did not use epoxy so will see what happens. Good luck with your new house, I am driving mine! Couldn't pass pass up 0% financing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
retiredSFer said:

I have been to the GMPartsDirect site for prices, who is Ken Fitchner and does he sell GM parts?

For GM parts needs, don't forget our supporting vendor, Bob Benedix (Corvetteseller)of Bill Estes Chevrolet.

02BlueZ06

1 - 13 of 13 Posts