Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I'm new here and need some advise. Purchasing a 2015 Z06 with Z07 and have never had Ceramic Brakes before. So I'm wondering what to expect, braking, brake dust and replacement parts wise. How long should the original pads last, for example? Should I treat Ceramic Brakes differently on the street than "standard" brakes?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 2012 Z06 with ceramic brakes, now with 18K. Never have had to replace anything. I have driven it a couple of times at Laguna Seca race track in Monterey and I know 1st hand this thing has awesome breaking.

My car has black wheels so dust isn't an issue with me, but it appears to be minimal if any. My 02 Z06 was awful till I put on ceramic pads

Somewhere I remember reading about a process to break in the brakes when you 1st get the car and an additional sheet on how to use the rotor protectors when removing the wheels. I'll look around the ol PC for it. ** duh, it is in the owner's manual, "Burnish Procedure **

Don't recall ever reading anything about the life expectancy of the pads. If your car comes with those Pilot Sport Cup tires, I only got 7,500 miles out of them. I put less aggressive tires on it when I replaced them.

For daily driving, I drive it the same as I have for all my corvettes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that information. I figured I'd only get about 5K out of the Cup Tires so 7,500 is a treat! :) I'm going with the Spectra Gray wheels on the Crystal Red car so brake dust should not show very much. Also good to hear you have 18K on the pads and brakes even with a little track time. My local speedway is Auto Club in Fontana so will take it there for at least one Speedventures outing! :)

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
HOLD ON GUYS....are we talking the same thing?????

freeman1215 was talking about the Z07 option package on the new C7 Z06 which I believe is the same type Carbon-Ceramic rotors which are on the ZR1. Maybe you should start a new post in the C6 -ZR1 section about you rotor and brake package. http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f73/

Not sure on what type of pads are run with the Carbon-Ceramic rotors. Maybe some of the folks here with ZR1's can help you with that question.

Al_Cruz, was that an option on the Z06? Don't remember the C6 Z06 coming with Carbon-Ceramic rotors, only the ZR1. Correct me if I am wrong.

BTW what type of pads are used with those type of rotors??

Edited: The 2012 Centennial Z06 had these carbon-ceramic rotors.....LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks YumaZ06. I would swear that I watched a couple of YouTube videos which indicated that other Z06's had ceramic brakes and I was surprised by that also. But I may be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I have an '11 Zo7 with the CC brakes. They are awesome. Street to track nothing to do. You do need to do an initial burnishing and then they stop even better. GM has claimed they will last most drivers a lifetime on the street. Spring mountain and track guys report only needing pads after a lot of track use. Also PTM use uses rear pads more than fronts. If you can add that option they are well worth it. You also need to take great care of them. Taking rims off need to be very careful not to hit rotor as it will chip…and if so they go in the garbage. About 2500 a rotor! Also only water and soap can touch them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Seamus for the details. My plan is to have the car washed by a service that comes to my house but will have to make sure they fully understand that nothing like wheel cleaner or shine can ever come close to the CC rotors! Makes me kind of nervous really, knowing that certain compounds can damage the CC rotors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts