Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get a new chamois. When I got it home, and I was reading about it, it said it was sokaed in cod oil:(

Why I have no idea. Maybe to make it look better in the store. So you are supposed to wash it in dish soap which I did, but when I used it, it was still oily and making a mess, and it smelled like fish heads. So I rewashed the car and used the old one. I tried it again a couple of days ago, and it still a little oily, it didn't absorb all that well and the car looked pretty sh$$$y upon closer inspection. I have had my current chamois for several years and don't remember it being like this when new.

Is this the way it is supposed to be?:-?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
fcalmes said:
:-? But I did soak my finger in cider once. :D
I thought I smelled fish! :p :lol:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
SMFCPACFP said:
I decided to get a new chamois. When I got it home, and I was reading about it, it said it was sokaed in cod oil:(
Last time I bought one (3 years ago?), I believe it was ready to use, but my memory may not be that good... It is the extra-large premium variety, cost about $20 from what I remember, works great, very absorbent, very soft when wet.

They are all tanned with oil when manufactured, but still soaking in oil in the package doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I have never heard of this...:-?

Currently have 2 chamois and neither of them ever smelled of oil.

Have you considered getting a refund, and trying a different brand?

Zippy :) :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why don't you run it through a gentle cycle in your clothes washer with gentle soap. That should remove the oil.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Get rid of that thing. Get you a water blade, leaf blower, air compressor and a syntetic chamois and was the Z everyday. I've never seen a chamois soked in cod oil. I bought one a few years ago that had a film on it and all I had to do was soak it in a bucket of water for a day and the film was removed

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
A healthy solution

You could maybe suck on it for a couple of days and lower your Cholesterol as well. Think of all those Omega 3 Fatty Acids in it. Or you could use it on your car and then lick it off.... That gives me another Idea......Hey Honey want to lower your Cholesterol??????.........!!!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had it happened to me one time and that was the last time I used one of those chamois. That was about 5 yrs ago. I use the Absorber now and it works great right out of the container. I just recently purchase the California water blade and that works well too.......

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I got screwed but remember don't buy one soaked in cod oil. Not only did it not get the water off very well and left streaks, but the dust is attracted to the damn thing like a magnet and it does smell a little fishy. :puke:

There is always a good side. Not too many people are going to hang around it. I think I might try the absorber.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That manufacturer will not go far. Smells fishy ? Don't put it in the washer - then you'll never get the smell out of your clothes or washer for that matter.

Walmart sells the Absorber for about 8-9 bucks, they are fantastic. Just keep them in the plastic container they come in to keep them soft with a bit of moisture. If they dry out, simply run them under warm tap water for a few minutes and they will become supple again. They also come in different colours if ypou want to keep track of which car you use them on, if you have a bunch of vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts