Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it take to change my 2001 Z06 exhaust to that of 2002? If I went to headers can i change to a 2002 pipe to eliminate the precats?

·
Registered
121 Posts
About $1250, and the removal/reinstall of 14 bolts. If you go with
short tube headers the 2001 and 2002 systems are interchangable.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
markdm53 said:
What would it take to change my 2001 Z06 exhaust to that of 2002? If I went to headers can i change to a 2002 pipe to eliminate the precats?
I'm not sure I understand your intent here... Are you looking to gain HP?

If you went to a complete '02 stock system (headers to tailpipes), you'd gain freer flowing cats and no pre-cats, but you'll still have the stock headers which aren't the best. If you go with just long tube headers with your otherwise stock '01 exhaust, you'll pick up some nice HP, eliminate the pre-cats BY VIRTUE of installing the long tubes (they don't fit with the pre-cats, so the pre-cats are eliminated), and only pay for the headers. If you go with headers AND the '02 freer flowing cats, then I'd imagine things are going to get mighty expensive with probably no noticeable gains over scenario #2.

I'd think about getting aftermarket long tube headers and keeping "the rest" of your '01 exhaust. This is what I did, and the SOTP gains are impressive!

-Kirk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, this is the kind of information i`m looking for. I`m not sure what the changes are between the 01 cats and the 02 cats, if any. Or the differences between the shorty headers and the long ones, except from past experiance the long ones seemed to be better. Also...I don`t know the difference between the differennt manufactures of headers. How well they fit...look...work...or sound. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
566 Posts
Mark:

Kirk is right about the negligible increase. The 01s used pre-cats to meet 50 state emissions requirements. The 02s have better main cats, so the pre-cats aren't needed anymore.
By going to LT headers on your 01, you not only eliminate the pup cats, but gain HP from the more effecient headers. LT headers are not making quite the #s on 02s as they did on the 01s, for obvious reasons.

Where you really gain on headers, is when you do internal work like heads, cam etc. In any case I agree that just swapping exhausts without doing anything else, would be a costly few HP.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
markdm53 said:
Thanks, this is the kind of information i`m looking for. I`m not sure what the changes are between the 01 cats and the 02 cats, if any. Or the differences between the shorty headers and the long ones, except from past experiance the long ones seemed to be better. Also...I don`t know the difference between the differennt manufactures of headers. How well they fit...look...work...or sound. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
Mark,

Do a search here for "long tube headers" and/or "TPIS" and you'll find lots of talk about everything you're wondering about. I had the same questions before getting my TPIS headers (but now all of my questions -- and power-from-headers prayers -- have been answered). :)

-Kirk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts