Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have magnetic drain plugs for the diff and tranny and redline D4-ATF for the tranny and redline 75w90 for the diff.
Is changing the oil on the tranny and diff a do it myself type of job? If so, anyone have any tips? Any special tools required? Kind of curious how to get the new oil in there.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have not changed tranny and diff on the Z, but I have on other similar cars. You can buy a hand pump with a long hose that screws onto the qt jugs of gear lube. This makes it easy to pump the new lube into the tranny/diff. Drainng the old oil should be easy, since the drain plugs are easy to get too.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If you have a lift or access to one it make the job easier, most auto stores sell pumps that fit on quart bottles, this also helps a great deal, it is an easy job to do. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
One other thing

Hi there,
When you change your diff fluid, be absolutely sure that you use the friction modifier part number listed in your owners manual.
This is a REQUIREMENT, and must be added.
Other than that, you should have NO problem.
Best to you, c4c5

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
C4C5, Red Line and Amsoil synthetic gear oil has the additive in their oil, I still put a half a bottle in anyway. :)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carl,
Thanks. I thought the redline I ordered had the modifier in it and was a little confused. Your post cleared it up. Unless someone suggests otherwise, half a bottle of modifier it is.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
this is not going to be popular

Hi there,
Well, there is friction modifier in the fluid, however, I have been told by the manufacturer at Getrag, these might not perform the same function as the additive in the bottle.
I am sorry, however, I will NOT do a diff change without a full bottle, per GM recommendations in the service manual.
Best to all, c4c5

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to disagree but I use straight Redline in both the vette and my Dodge truck and have never had a problem. You can add the modifier if you wish but like I said I have foound the modifier in the Redline to be sufficient.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
easiest way to fill the trans/diff... (maybe this should go in the tech tips section as I've said this a few times)

get a length of 3/8" vinyl tubing
cut a 3/8" hole in the top of the bottle of lube
run the tubing into the bottle
run the other end into the trans/diff fill hole
punch a small hole in the top of the bottle (just below the neck)
bring over an airline from your compressor
stick the air nozzle on it
shove the air nozzle into the hole on the top of the bottle
make sures its in tight, and your regulator is set to 15psi or so (keep it really low)
spray air into the bottle
watch the lube run up the tube

those pumps that they sell are killers
when you're done you'll be hurting all over
if you DO use the air thinger, make sure you wrap a rag around the top of the bottle and the air nozzle, otherwise you'll make a mess (a bit of lube gets sprayed into the air, but not a whole lot)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hib Halverson suggested adding a little of the friction modifier and seeing if the differential chattered in tight turns. If it does, he said add a little more. If it doesn't, you are OK to go.

I guess this applies to the Red Line stuff, if it chatters add some of the friction modifier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts